Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Got My New Pod 500x…now I Need Advice

northparkpod

I am super excited to get started with my new Pod.    I have a Fender Cyber Twin SE for my amp and I would love to have a couple questions answered.  

1. I don't think I can run the 4 cable method.  I have an input in the front of the amp and on the back I have an effects section that has a mono send and a left and right return.   What is my best option of hooking up to my amp?
  2. For those that use a Cyber Twin, what is your amp setup?  (Blackface, Tweed, etc)
  3. I am also looking into getting a JTV 69 as well.  Will I be more than pleased if I sold my Cyber Twin and get a DT series amp?

Thanks for all your help everyone!  I'm really pumped!!

you could run 4 cable but I would suggest just connecting the L and R 1/4 outs on the POD to the two FX loop return jacks on the back of the amp.  You have essentially a stereo power amp and cab that way for the POD.  Try it in Studio Direct output mode on the POD and use full amp models.  Start with just a Blackface amp model with the default cab and mic, no effects, and make adjustments until it sounds good to you.  Add a little reverb and just play around with it to get a feel for how things work.  You can branch out from there and do the same thing with other amp models.

Stick with this amp for a while and see how you like it before you drop a bundle on a DT...  learn the POD first...

That was just good advice... spend a good amount of time with the HD500 before you change another variable and think about changing amps.....

Just some quick tips...  When you start messing with patches... make sure your amp is turned down as you flip from patch to patch...

I read somewere that a noise gate at the begining and end of the signal chain is a good idea.... so I use it on all my patches... you can always take it off or adjust it later...

My suggestion would be to instead of going to one of the default presets....  Start from scratch .. with a patch that has nothing in it... and "slowly" add an amp model and effects....  and figure out what you like... Its a lot easier playing with an amp model and one effect than messing with one of the default patches that has 8 effects in it...  Trust me...  as a newby that is the fastest way to frustration...  so find an amp model that you like .. and then over a week or so ... go through all the distortion pedals .. and figure out which one you think sounds best with the amp you selected...  and write it down... keep notes.. "this pedal I liked" , "this pedal I didn't like"...  When you find something that you really like.. write it down .. with all the settngs... This way if you lose the file or setting or the power goes out before you save it... whatever.... you can still recreate it from the notes...

• Upvote 1

I'd suggest ignoring anything you read on here for a while. While there is plenty of good info, there is a lot of it, and it can get a little overwhelming. That, and a significant percentage of the folks who frequent these forums are here to whine about stuff they don't like, or a problem they're having with their gear. That alone can talk you out of buying stuff in the first place.

Plus, no matter what you read, or who's patches you download, there is absolutely no way around the experimental phase. Lock yourself in a room, then push buttons and turn knobs (or click the mouse if you're inclined to use HD Edit) until it sounds good...which it probably won't at first, and that's OK. 99% of the presets loaded on the 500X are horrifyingly useless, with the exception of one or two clean tones you can build on. Unless this is your first amp, you'll figure it out. It's just not a plug-and-play device.

common issue, many threads dealing with it... Channel Volume is the one to use to level between amps.  Set the Master to control overall volume.  Now max out your clean amps with the channel volume to where you like them.  Adjust your dirt/gain amps down accordingly to level across various patches.  That's just how real amps work, some are louder than others...  You can get different volumes with different cabs too so play around with it.  Read through as many threads on these forums as you can before asking questions.  Most everything has been asked and answered more than once along the way. Lots of good stuff in the knowledge base too...

Have fun with it!

• Upvote 1