Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Kinky Comp settings

sctwoodworks

Hey everyone, I'm new here but I've been reading a bit since picking up a Helix LT a couple months ago. I'm really digging the unit! 

Any body have any suggestions for settings on the Kinky Comp? Guitar is a PRS Hollowbody 2. amp model I'm trying to stick it with is the Deluxe reverb normal channel, using the 2x12 C12N cab block (or a YA dlx reverb IR)...  I had an SP a while back and it was easy to set up based on the DIP switches. I have a basic knowledge of threshold and release but I can't seem to get it right.    Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

(PS, i'm not near my Helix at the moment so I don't remember exactly what my settings were when I decided to scrap it and see what y'all might suggest)

I'm not looking for major squish, just something to smooth out/fatten up the tone. Happy to send any other info that might be helpful. 

5 hours ago, sctwoodworks said:

Hey everyone, I'm new here but I've been reading a bit since picking up a Helix LT a couple months ago. I'm really digging the unit! 

Any body have any suggestions for settings on the Kinky Comp? Guitar is a PRS Hollowbody 2. amp model I'm trying to stick it with is the Deluxe reverb normal channel, using the 2x12 C12N cab block (or a YA dlx reverb IR)...  I had an SP a while back and it was easy to set up based on the DIP switches. I have a basic knowledge of threshold and release but I can't seem to get it right.    Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

(PS, i'm not near my Helix at the moment so I don't remember exactly what my settings were when I decided to scrap it and see what y'all might suggest)

I'm not looking for major squish, just something to smooth out/fatten up the tone. Happy to send any other info that might be helpful. 

For the threshold setting you can select the compressor and use the built-in gain reduction meters to ensure it is kicking in as frequently and with the level of reduction that you are shooting for. If you can't get your sound with the Kinky Comp try experimenting with one of the other compressors with more controllable parameters such as the Deluxe or Rochester comp. The LA Comp is great for adding a more subtle compression or a sort of "mastering" compression at the end of a signal chain. The sound you are going for, good as your description may be, is rather subjective. The link below might be helpful in experimenting with the various available compressor settings.

https://www.masteringthemix.com/blogs/learn/the-secret-to-compressor-attack-and-release-time

• Like 2

Thank you for the link! Just gave it a quick read and will likely double back on it later.

my last pedal board comp, after the sp, was an analog man bi-comp. I always dig the simplicity and what it did for my sound. Basically I ran it with very light compression at the front of my chain. I pulled it from from my board a few years ago in an effort to shrink my foot print and just got used to playing without. But, now that I can add one without adding to my footprint I figured I’d start messing around with one again. 

I am using the LA comp at the end of my path per the Jsad rec’s... 

ps, I’m only playing in a P&W environment these days though I don’t tend to directly copy any of those “tones”.   Always been a big fan of Trey Anastasio, John scofield, Wes Montgomery... 

33 minutes ago, sctwoodworks said:

Thank you for the link! Just gave it a quick read and will likely double back on it later.

my last pedal board comp, after the sp, was an analog man bi-comp. I always dig the simplicity and what it did for my sound. Basically I ran it with very light compression at the front of my chain. I pulled it from from my board a few years ago in an effort to shrink my foot print and just got used to playing without. But, now that I can add one without adding to my footprint I figured I’d start messing around with one again. 

I am using the LA comp at the end of my path per the Jsad rec’s... 

ps, I’m only playing in a P&W environment these days though I don’t tend to directly copy any of those “tones”.   Always been a big fan of Trey Anastasio, John scofield, Wes Montgomery... 

Some great players there. I would add you may also want to try adjusting the bias but especially the sag parameter on the amp for a change in feel and compression.  Also worth trying are some of the less over the top overdrives like the Teemah. With the level up and the gain down they can provide some  compression without the distortion. Maybe posting up a video of a specific sound you are going for would assist some of the preset design wizards around here to make a suggestion or two.

• Like 1

Ya know, if I could nail down one video or tone I was going for that would be really tough!   To be honest, I’d say the better way to put it is what one batch of gear could approximate some of those sounds, lol. Tall order right??  

My pedal board rig prior to helix was 2x AM 808/silvers>fulltone mini-deja>DD7>silver spring>dr z maz38nr (12f150 in a 1x12 cab).   Tons of fun in a super simple package! But our church made some tech changes for live stream purposes and I was the only guy with an amp so decided I’d try the digital thing. 

I’ve sorta taken the approach to helix that I’d build a DR rig and an AC30 rig as those two amps should be able to handle any of the “tones” I was trying to approximate.  and eventually work on something with a tweed deluxe as I’ve always loved my Lil’ Dawg clone... 

I did mess a bit with sag/bias on a test patch but again, probably took them to far and couldn’t settle on a balance that I felt was better than stock for where Im at with the learning the system. That said, I’ve only had 3 Sunday’s live with it and the rest has been solo through my old mixer into a K12 so I’m still making assumptions on fixes from the prior performance.   Hopefully that all makes sense. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, sctwoodworks said:

I'm not looking for major squish, just something to smooth out/fatten up the tone.

IME... the Kinky Comp much too aggressive for this... even at it's lowest settings. Instead I would be reaching for the LA Studio, Rochester, or the 3 Band then running them toward the end of my chain rather than near the beginning. Use the gain reduction meters to dial in a "touch" of compressor. You don't want it slamming, just taking off the edges.

Another option has opened up with the 3.1 update... and that is the Retro Reel. Even though it is not a compressor, it does exactly what you are after and will apply a touch of "tape compression" even at it's subtle settings. Check out the new Jason Sadites video on the retro reel if you are not familiar with it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2