Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Monitor question

MALAPP1

If I were to tell you that I plan to use Focal Shape 65’s as my monitors to play backing tracks, vocals and my Helix Rack through, what would you say.  This is for home use.  I could add a Powercab 112 but then, space gets tighter and I know I would want another so I could have stereo. Will the Focal’s do the job.

20 minutes ago, MALAPP1 said:

If I were to tell you that I plan to use Focal Shape 65’s as my monitors to play backing tracks, vocals and my Helix Rack through, what would you say.

Well, I would say much the same as when you previously asked almost the same question.

What else could anyone say to “a closet rock star who is an absolute legend in his own mind”

and is “so good that I never leave the house to play”.

14 minutes ago, MALAPP1 said:

Since you brought it up

I didn’t, you did. 

Although, you do seem to be influenced by style, so if money is no object, how about indulging in some of these - the choice of top producers and studios.

https://www.kiiaudio.com/for_studio.php

Is there an answer in there somewhere.  I didn’t know that I’m influenced by style and  not sure how “money became no object.”  If you would like to share some of your perceived brilliance and answer my question, I would deeply appreciate it.  

19 minutes ago, MALAPP1 said:

Is there an answer in there somewhere.

Yeah, it’s very silly answer to a silly question. 

Only you can decide what is right for your setup, whatever anyone else says is simply an opinion.

You need to do some listening tests to find what is suitable for use in your space - asking the same question over and over will not produce a different result.

Everyone’s opinion will vary, but in the end it will be down to you.

Nuff said.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MALAPP1 said:

If I were to tell you that I plan to use Focal Shape 65’s as my monitors to play backing tracks, vocals and my Helix Rack through, what would you say.  This is for home use.  I could add a Powercab 112 but then, space gets tighter and I know I would want another so I could have stereo. Will the Focal’s do the job.

Yes... the Focal's are perfect for this. The 65's are a good size, but I wouldn't go smaller. 

The Helix sounds glorious through Studio Monitors... that's how I run it at home. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, datacommando said:

Yeah, it’s very silly answer to a silly question. 

Only you can decide what is right for your setup, whatever anyone else says is simply an opinion.

You need to do some listening tests to find what is suitable for use in your space - asking the same question over and over will not produce a different result.

Everyone’s opinion will vary, but in the end it will be down to you.

Nuff said.

You are right.  The problem is, even if had the knowledge to know where to start looking, I would still end up asking questions and looking for confirmation.  Two thousand dollars is a chunk of change.  I bought Focal headphones and I think there are great but don’t ask me if they are better because I just don’t know.  

My sales pro Will at Sweetwater advised me to go with the  ADAM Audio A7X / Sub10 Matched 2.1 Monitor System.  He feels that in a treated room with a budget under 3k this is the answer.  My wife just retired two weeks ago.  Hence, we are buying a new home in Punta Gorda, Florida.  I am having my studio treated with sound absorption. Thanks for all the help. 

2 hours ago, MALAPP1 said:

Two thousand dollars is a chunk of change.

It certainly is, and as I was trying to point out in the “silly” quip earlier, you could be directed into spending ludicrous amounts of cash on something that is entirely wrong for your situation. Overkill!

Initially, you were considering not one, but two PowerCabs, which would be great should you be blessed with tolerant neighbours, or wanted to blast out the windows, but not best equipped for the job you wanted them to do. 

Then your choice at the other end of the scale was between a couple of brands of near field monitors, one of which you said you didn’t particularly like. Strangely, your Sweetwater contact has recommend the ones you were averse to. Ah, the power of persuasion from a guy who’s job it is to sell solutions. Even reasonably low price monitors can be just the right thing in an acoustically treated space. 

Let’s hope that your new studio space come up to the mark, and that you can learn about bass traps and standing waves and some of the other things that can mess up your “listening experience”.

In the end, it comes down to - “how good are your ears”?

Good luck.