Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Questions about HX Stomp XL output to Powered PA Speaker

ericboydce

I have an HX Stomp XL being delivered today, and an EV ZLX-12BT later this week and have some questions about connecting the two.

I am a recent amp modeler convert, and I'm used to a simple TS cable into the front of an amp.

I am a complete PA noob however.

Will using a standard 1/4" TS guitar cable from the L/MONO of the Stomp to the XLR/1/4" combo of the speaker be ok?

I don't own any 1/4" TRS cables, or XLR cables... would using a 1/8" headphone cable to the AUX in of the speaker be any better than a 1/4" TS?

Any help is very appreciated.

Cheers,

E

Since you are only using one speaker you have no concern about stereo except to make sure that your 1/4” TS cable carries the full stereo signal summed to mono. The L/MONO Stomp output does that so you’re fine. Just make sure you match the Stomp output level to the speaker’s expected input level. (See the Stomp Global Settings. The Output level can be set to Instrument or Line. Your speaker documentation will tell you which to use.)

I don’t imagine the 1/8” to Aux option would be any better.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, silverhead said:

Since you are only using one speaker you have no concern about stereo except to make sure that your 1/4” TS cable carries the full stereo signal summed to mono. The L/MONO Stomp output does that so you’re fine. Just make sure you match the Stomp output level to the speaker’s expected input level. (See the Stomp Global Settings. The Output level can be set to Instrument or Line. Your speaker documentation will tell you which to use.)

I don’t imagine the 1/8” to Aux option would be any better.

Thank you, just the kind of answer I was looking for!

So long as your cable run is under 30 feet, or so, a quality 1/4" TS cable should do you fine. Should you encounter any hum or other issues (hum, RF induction, etc.) use an XLR cable. 

Addendum: Also not a bad idea to have a long XLR on hand if you may be using your gear outdoor or in the backyard over the summer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1