Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So...is the Spider Remote App as challenged as the Amplifi app?...

preuning

Have an Amplifi 75 from late 2014. Great concept hamstrung by POS bluetooth capability.  Looking to move to a more "traditional" and powerful modeling Amp that also switches channels faster than Amplifi with my FBV Express MK2. Considering Spider V MK2 120 or 240. Seeing a lot of posts about problems with the Spider Remote application. Want to be able to use that existing footswitch, but life is too short to again deal with all the stops / stalls / restarts of the Amplifi. Time to start over with Boss Katana or BlackStar?

I run a Spider V 240HC mk ii w/ FBV3 board (+ EX1 expression pedal & G10T) using Remote 2.00 (Win 10) into my own 2x12 cabinet loaded with vintage EVM 12L speakers.  There was a much older issue that some people could not run Remote 2.00 with Win 10, and were stuck running the older 1.03 version that is missing a lot of the 2.00 functionality.  I was one of those people, but I found the fix for it, so this (I believe) should no longer be an issue for anyone else either.  See this thread for the fix >>>> Fixed My Spider V Remote 2.00 Issue with Win 10 - Spider V - Line 6 Community

More recently there was a Microsoft Windows update from last week that has disabled Remote's Internet access.  Line 6 is working this currently (... I am assuming ...).  But Remote still works perfectly fine; you just can't access tones in the cloud.  All other Remote 2.00 functionality is intact.  For me, I have had more success building all of my tones from the ground up myself instead of using the cloud tones, so the Internet-access issue does not even affect me.  It took me longer to do it that way, but my final tones are better than what I was hearing in the cloud, and that was due (I believe) due to my very different speaker setup from what everyone else is running.  

As to what direction you should go?  For me, purchasing everything with GC sales and Line 6 "25% off" coupons I have only $785 invested in my current Line 6 setup (includes 240HC, FBV3 board, EX1 pedal, and G10T cordless transmitter).  That is a LOT of functionality, flexibility and power for very little money ... along with the fact that it also makes me the mayor of TONE CITY.  Just looking at the other similarly priced non-Line 6 offerings compared to the Spider V, the other stuff just does not offer as much as Line 6.  The Black Star stuff is intriguing, but their horror stories regarding lack of user support was a little scary to me personally.  This is all just my singular and non-endorsed (unfortunately) opinion, though ... LOL.

That is a nice rig. I love my Amplifi - when it is connected.  I was going to buy a Spider Jam and the GC (small world) guy said you really want this - the "new" Amplifi with great sound for the size and tons of tone from the CLOUD. He was right about sound and features, except the bluetooth SUCKS. That said, I do like the Spider V120. Could still gig with it if I ever needed to and not as heavy as V240.