Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects: Using Return 1/2 as input for a synth does not sound as good as using Input 1/2 - Why?

simonbrinck

Hi everyone,

I love my HX effects and I want to use it as a hub, both live and in my studio. I hooked up my guitar to Input one (planning on using the second input with my bass guitar). I connected my Deepmind 12 synth to Return 1/2 and put in a FX block on the HX - Return 1/2. It is working and I get a fine stereo signal. The problem is it is not as clear and defined, especially in the top end, as when I plug in the Deepmind in the standard inputs. I did a A/B comparison to be sure, and it is obvious. 

Could it be that the standard inputs are buffered in some way and that is why I lose some top end? Or that the Return inputs are worse / different than the standard inputs? Should I use a TRS cable or something? I'm pretty new to the synth world.

Yes, I do - everything is line level. I know that the input impedance is different in the two inputs - if you connect an electric guitar to the return input it will sound dull - maybe I should use shorter cables? Mine are 3 meters long both in and out.... Or do you have any other ideas? 

I have no idea if this is related or not... I'm just going to share my experience. 

When I dove into the HX line, the HX Effects is where I started. The loops (returns in particular) were my nemesis. They were noisy, dull and anemic. I went back and forth with Line 6 support and my local store. I showed the manager (of the store) what I was experiencing and he was dumbfounded - it was obviously wrong. We went through a couple other HX Effects from their stock and they were the same.

Finally he grabbed a Helix LT from the floor and I tried that.... BINGO - the returns worked as I had thought they should. Even the store manager agreed there was a night/day difference. Long story short.... I upgraded to the Helix LT and never looked back. 

My HX Effects experience was from the "first run" of units. There were a lot of complaints at that time about the loops/returns but in time the complaints stopped rolling in. 

It might not hurt to check with Line 6. Maybe you have an original run of units... when something wasn't quite right with the loops/returns. 

• Upvote 2

Yes, the do have a different impedance, should I then take any precautions because of this when connecting my synth to these returns?

I am using the exact same cables and everything, but the sound is pretty dull when I use the returns compared to input 1/2...

On 4/20/2021 at 5:32 PM, simonbrinck said:

Yes, I do - everything is line level. I know that the input impedance is different in the two inputs - if you connect an electric guitar to the return input it will sound dull - maybe I should use shorter cables? Mine are 3 meters long both in and out.... Or do you have any other ideas? 

If you have all inputs set to line then it's obvious a guitar will sound dull there.

Dm12 is well known to have a veeeeery low output level tho... could be you need to crank your VCAs a bit.