Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELIX LT - HELIX EDIT STEP BY STEP

MauroDave

Good morning,
I have a windows 10 pc and next week i will buy the helix LT.
I'm not much of an expert and it's my first modeler
I want to be sure not to make a mistake in the installation so I ask you the kindness to explain me the steps to connect the helix to the pc and finally have hx edit.
I documented and some say to install first hx edit and then the firmware but it seems the same thing ?!
if I install hx edit 3.10 is already included in the latest firmware ??
in the download section of line 6 there are the windows drivers to download
(Drivers
Line 6 Helix Driver2
Version 1.96
Released 3/16/21)
 but others say that the drivers are installed autonomously by hx edit !?

what exactly needs to be done?
step by step from opening the box

sorry but i need help, i want to get ready

2 hours ago, MauroDave said:

what exactly needs to be done? step by step from opening the box

O.K. Dave, here we go.

Go to “DOWNLOADS” in the menu at the top of this page, and from under “All Software” select HX Edit, the from under “All OS” select you computer Operating System (you mentioned PC, but also Mac in another post), then click the “Go” Button.

From the next page, download the HX Edit installation package and install it on your computer. It contains all the software needed to communicate with any Line 6 HX hardware that you connect (drivers etc.). When the installation finishes, restart your computer.

Next stage:

Remove your new Helix LT from it’s packaging and connect it to your computer using the USB port (do not use a USB hub, some ports on the front of PC machines act as a hub). Connect the Helix to the mains power and switch it on. When it has completely booted up, connect to the internet and launch HX Edit on your computer and HX Edit should detect your LT and tell you that new firmware update is available. Follow the prompts to download and install. 

HX Edit will ask if you would like to make a backup of the contents of your LT. Even though it is brand new, it would be advisable to do this, so that you get into the habit of making a safety back up every time you update. 

Once that has finished you will be prompted to install the firmware update. Follow all the on-screen instructions and when the update is finished completely, restart your LT while holding down the middle 2 buttons on the bottom row of foot switches (FS9 & 10) - this performs a total factory reset on the LT. Once more, just to familiarise yourself with the procedure, use HX Edit to restore from the back up which you made before the update even though your LT is “box fresh”.

You should now be up and running with a brand new Helix LT, running v3.10 firmware. 

While you are waiting for your unit to arrive I would suggest that you get to know a little more about the LT by downloading and reading the owner’s manual available here:

https://line6.com/support/manuals/helixlt

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, datacommando said:

O.K. Dave, here we go.

Go to “DOWNLOADS” in the menu at the top of this page, and from under “All Software” select HX Edit, the from under “All OS” select you computer Operating System (you mentioned PC, but also Mac in another post), then click the “Go” Button.

From the next page, download the HX Edit installation package and install it on your computer. It contains all the software needed to communicate with any Line 6 HX hardware that you connect (drivers etc.). When the installation finishes, restart your computer.

Next stage:

Remove your new Helix LT from it’s packaging and connect it to your computer using the USB port (do not use a USB hub, some ports on the front of PC machines act as a hub). Connect the Helix to the mains power and switch it on. When it has completely booted up, connect to the internet and launch HX Edit on your computer and HX Edit should detect your LT and tell you that new firmware update is available. Follow the prompts to download and install. 

HX Edit will ask if you would like to make a backup of the contents of your LT. Even though it is brand new, it would be advisable to do this, so that you get into the habit of making a safety back up every time you update. 

Once that has finished you will be prompted to install the firmware update. Follow all the on-screen instructions and when the update is finished completely, restart your LT while holding down the middle 2 buttons on the bottom row of foot switches (FS9 & 10) - this performs a total factory reset on the LT. Once more, just to familiarise yourself with the procedure, use HX Edit to restore from the back up which you made before the update even though your LT is “box fresh”.

You should now be up and running with a brand new Helix LT, running v3.10 firmware. 

While you are waiting for your unit to arrive I would suggest that you get to know a little more about the LT by downloading and reading the owner’s manual available here:

thank you so much !!

so you confirm that apart from the first phase, where I download and install without even having opened the LT helix from the box, in the rest of the steps I do everything with the LT helix connected to the pc via usb?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, datacommando said:

O.K. Dave, here we go.

Next stage:

"use HX Edit to restore from the back up which you made before the update"

can you better explain this passage?

Mauro,

If you have a brand new Helix, you don't need to back up and restore anything unless you were experimenting with the Helix prior to updating and you want to save your work.  If you don't have any settings or anything else to save or restore, you don't need to do anything after updating because the factory reset will bring the state of the unit to the current recommended factory settings. DataCommando's point about doing it this time is only to get you in the habit of backing up and restoring each time.

When you have used your Helix for a long time, and have favorite global settings, impulse responses, favorite blocks and custom presets, you will want to do the steps of backing up and restoring your helix because those settings will be lost after the update and factory reset.   We have seen a lot of folks on this form forget to backup their helix before updating and loose their presets and come crying here about the process.

With the update process baked into HXEdit now, folks will be less likely to forget.

Welcome to the family.  It's a wild ride!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, bobcoss said:

Mauro,

If you have a brand new Helix, you don't need to back up and restore anything unless you were experimenting with the Helix prior to updating and you want to save your work.  If you don't have any settings or anything else to save or restore, you don't need to do anything after updating because the factory reset will bring the state of the unit to the current recommended factory settings. DataCommando's point about doing it this time is only to get you in the habit of backing up and restoring each time.

When you have used your Helix for a long time, and have favorite global settings, impulse responses, favorite blocks and custom presets, you will want to do the steps of backing up and restoring your helix because those settings will be lost after the update and factory reset.   We have seen a lot of folks on this form forget to backup their helix before updating and loose their presets and come crying here about the process.

With the update process baked into HXEdit now, folks will be less likely to forget.

Welcome to the family.  It's a wild ride!

thanks for the help!
I am very happy to join the family, always been in the analog world now we have arrived at digital progress so the modelers are EXCELLENT!

there are some really realistic patches, I can't wait to play with the sounds as faithful as possible to the original of the great guitarists

can you explain to me in more detail how I will have to restore the back up saved before the update?

since it is a practice that will serve me for the future

• Like 1

There is a menu item in HX Edit called 'Restore....'. You simply select that item and the restoration begins, allowing you to specify whether you want to restore all or only some of the backed-up items (e.g. Global Settings, IRs, Setlists...).

Your enthusiasm is evident. Just one caution - be patient. You should anticipate a significant learning curve moving from the analog to digital world. That would be true with any first time experience with digital, whether Line 6 or any other device. Give yourself lots of time to get used to it. It's usually not a plug-and-play experience. This form is a good source to answer your initial questions. Don't hesitate to ask!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, silverhead said:

There is a menu item in HX Edit called 'Restore....'. You simply select that item and the restoration begins, allowing you to specify whether you want to restore all or only some of the backed-up items (e.g. Global Settings, IRs, Setlists...).

Your enthusiasm is evident. Just one caution - be patient. You should anticipate a significant learning curve moving from the analog to digital world. That would be true with any first time experience with digital, whether Line 6 or any other device. Give yourself lots of time to get used to it. It's usually not a plug-and-play experience. This form is a good source to answer your initial questions. Don't hesitate to ask!

you are definitely right!
in fact I opened some topics here because I am studying from all possible sources on the internet and youtube but as you well know, on the internet there is everything and the opposite!
I want to be prepared for the first connection with helix lt and not make serious mistakes

2 hours ago, datacommando said:

It contains all the software needed to communicate with any Line 6 HX hardware that you connect (drivers etc.)

but why then in the download section there is also the single download called:
Drivers
Line 6 Helix Driver2
Version 1.96
Released 3/16/21
??

30 minutes ago, silverhead said:

Because sometimes drivers get corrupted and need to be reinstalled. Access to this individual file is not required unless under special circumstances.

Thanks for picking up on that 'silverhead', I was busy with something else, and only just seen the OP's follow up questions.

Got a feeling this could be a long and winding road to discovery.

1 hour ago, MauroDave said:

but why then in the download section there is also the single download called:
Drivers
Line 6 Helix Driver2
Version 1.96
Released 3/16/21
??

As noted by"silverhead" in the post above, it is not unknown for drivers to sometimes become corrupted, especially on Windows machines when conflicts occur. 

Best to stay clear of things when you don't know what they do, or don't understand - post a question on this forum first.

Hope you are studying in preparation for a new way of creating guitar sounds.