Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 - Midi Controller(ed) - Need Help!

pugdealer

Hey guys

I was reading my POD's manual today, cause I wanted to understand what the midi I/O was for, and how to use it! As I understand, I can use it as a MIDI controller to activate loops or whatever, and have the POD be controlled by some computer software!

I play in a band, and from reading this I got the idea of having the POD start a track, have metronome on for me and other band members but not to the PA, and then the samples (pads, strings, whatever) would come on when required as the track would play on the computer. 

Also, I believe I can program the track on the computer to control the effects on the POD, meaning it would change presets automatically when needed, like when the chorus would star and end, etc.

So, are all these assumptions correct? Can I use it as mentioned above? If so, what softwares are able to do that (for mac)? How exactly is it done? didn't find any videos on youtube on it...

use it as a MIDI controller to activate loops or whatever

Yes you can, but not directly - the HD500 can have its pedals defined as MIDI "event generators" - that is when you press the pedal it sends a defined MIDI message.  This is limited to Program Change, Continuous Controller and Note messages.  The expression pedal (and exp 2 if you have one) can also act as CC message sources.

If you have some software on your mac that can be configured to activate loops for these messages then you can activate loops, or play notes.  This simplest software for this might be a Sampler where each Note corresponds to a recording of a loop, so press the button on the HD and the loop plays.

I have a slightly complex Guitar and Keyboard set-up and for one particular song I need to play a single note that is outside of the range of my physical keyboard.  I know that I can transpose the keyboard, but as this note is only used for a specific effect I have defined F8 to send a Note on/off for that specific Note - press down on F8 and the Note starts, lift off and the Note stops. No computer involved in this.

A sampler will have the option of whether is respects Note Off messages or plays the whole sample to the end (think Drum samples) so you can press the F button on the HD and get a sample to play.

and have the POD be controlled by some computer software!

Yes you can, but for this you will need a MIDI sequencer, which is a standard feature of all Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) software as well as existing as standalone products.  All that MIDI is a set of Event messages - "Note #68 On at Velocity 123", "Note #68 Off", "Controller #7 Value 96".  A MIDI Sequencer arranges these Events along a timeline and then sends out each Event when the appropriate time occurs - it can also normally record such Events as they come in from a source.

The easy way to do this is to connect up the HD500 MIDI Out/Thru to the MIDI In on the Computer and record the required actions into the Sequencer by doing them in real time on the HD500.  Things like Program Change (change patch) are automatically transmitted by the HD500, the Fn switches and expression pedal locations would have to be recorded after modifying the configuration to transmit what the POD expects to receive. 

Having recorded the required actions from the HD500 by connecting Computer MIDI out to HD500 MIDI in and playing back the recorded sequence the HD500 will respond as if you were pressing the same controls. It could be possible to do some interesting things that just couldn't be done in real-time with each such as cross fading both expression pedals while rapidly switching two or more of the foot switched to toggle say Amp On/Off. Note that the button press midi events will just change the Fn switch state on the HD500 and it is up to you to link it to the correct effects in the Patch.  The MIDI implementation on the HD500 is not exactly comprehensive as it could potentially have allowed any parameter of any effect/amp to be controlled in real-time, but it doesn't it simply allows remote control of the Fn buttons and two expression controls (it doesn't even allow the extra JTV controllers to be used as additional sources via MIDI)

The theory of MIDI and what you can do with it can be found by searching the internet - MIDI is not particularly complicated, but it does take some time and understanding, and lots of testing to ensure that it is all working properly and even then the odd glitch can happen such as a hung note (Note On where the Note Off is not received properly so the Note plays forever which is obvious as anything if it is loud and doesn't release automatically). 

The details of the MIDI implementation are in the Advanced Guide: http://line6.com/data/6/0a06434dc1a55085c5d6532bf/application/pdf/POD%20HD500%20Advanced%20Guide%20v2.10%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20A%20).pdf

As for suitable mac software I can't help - I use a PC and I have had some success with Reaper as a DAW (using the SWS extensions) or for just simple VST(i) hosting I use Bloxpander.  

I will leave you with one really useful tip though - you can have complex sequences of MIDI instruments all playing in real-time if you want, but it may be a lot easier (and safer) to just mix it all down into a simple backing track and play along to that.

WOW

thanks a lot! That's very helpful!

I just saw a video of a guy on youtube doing exactly what I wanted, though he doesn't have a tutorial or anything explaining how he did it...he just says he's using logic and shows the result!

I was reading my POD's manual today, cause I wanted to understand what the midi I/O was for, and how to use it! As I understand, I can use it as a MIDI controller to activate loops or whatever, and have the POD be controlled by some computer software!

I play in a band, and from reading this I got the idea of having the POD start a track, have metronome on for me and other band members but not to the PA, and then the samples (pads, strings, whatever) would come on when required as the track would play on the computer. 

Also, I believe I can program the track on the computer to control the effects on the POD, meaning it would change presets automatically when needed, like when the chorus would star and end, etc.

So, are all these assumptions correct? Can I use it as mentioned above? If so, what softwares are able to do that (for mac)? How exactly is it done? didn't find any videos on youtube on it...

This is doable.  Here is my setup to accomplish this.  I'm on a PC and using Ableton Live (Mac version is also available) as my DAW software.  I'm sure other DAW software is also capable of doing this.

Use POD HD500 to control Ableton Live

- Program each preset that I use in HD500 to have FS5, FS6, FS7 and FS8 footswitches to trigger Ableton live to play loops, stop playback of loops, move to next song and move to previous song.  This is done by assigning MIDI event (note, control messages) to the HD500 FS5-F8 footswitches

- Configure Ableton live to recognize the MIDI events assign to HD500 footswiches and map them to appropriate Ableton Live command (play, stop, next song, previous song)

Use Ableton Live to control HD500

- In Ableton Live, create a MIDI track (clip) that contains the program change to switch preset in HD500.  Also, you can create control messages in Ableton Live MIDI track to control the assign effect parameters on HD500 footswitches (FS1-FS4) and expressions pedals (EXP1, EXP2) but I have not done this since I prefer to control these parameters using HD500 pedal

Note:

- Make sure that you connect both POD HD500 MIDI In and Out to the computer.

- Make sure that you configure HD500 FS Mode in System Setup (Page 1, Knob 1) to 'Pedal Mode' instead of 'Preset Mode' to trigger loops 

- To separate the song tracks from metronome, you will need an audio interface that has at least two stereo outputs, 1 to the PA and the other (metronome) to band.  You can also use audio interface with 1 stereo out and split them into 2 mono signals but this will mean that your PA will only have mono signal.

Hope this helps!

Yeah, thanks a lot!!!

My only problem is that I have never worked with any DAW and I'm very very basic when it comes to MIDI, so there's a big learning curve ahead of me, but thanks a lot for the help!

I have all the hardware. Not sure about the audio interface's outputs...it's a fast track pro, and it seems to have 2 mono out...

1 question though - How can the whole band hear the click but not the audience...I mean, at least in smaller places the click coming out of the monitors would be heard by who's closer to the stage or even entering our mic's. Should we all use IEM?

There will be a learning curve but it's worth it.  I recommend a basic setup first by creating a HD500 preset template with the assigned MIDI and copy it to all your presets.  On your DAW, map the assigned MIDI from HD500, create two tracks, 1 for the song and 1 for metronome or click track and save it as a template and use it every time you create a project/song file.  You can send the click track to the drummer who will have a headphones or use in-ear monitor.

• 7 months later...

I am a super newbie and don't understand a thing about midi... I have this question and would be very grateful to hear your comments:

It is possible to use the Pod HD500 as a midi controller for an Avid Eleven Rack? the thing is that my hd broke and i´m looking at other options... i only need the pod to change between patches and if possible use the expression pedal to control wha/volume.

is this doable?

• 3 weeks later...

I am a super newbie and don't understand a thing about midi... I have this question and would be very grateful to hear your comments:

It is possible to use the Pod HD500 as a midi controller for an Avid Eleven Rack? the thing is that my hd broke and i´m looking at other options... i only need the pod to change between patches and if possible use the expression pedal to control wha/volume.

is this doable?

I´m going to answer myself in case anybody search for something similar. The HD500 does work perfect as a midi controller. And is very easy to program. So far I´ve been able to:

-navigate trough banks

-select patches on any bank

-on/off effects on patch

-full use of the expression pedal: use volume pedal / activate wha with expression pedal footswitch / use wha

-tap tempo

so i guess that are the basic functions and all works perfectly. No latency noted (at least no more than the same the hd500 has in is normal use)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Everyone! thanks for posting!

I have a POD HD500x, Mac, and ableton Live.

I want Ableton to send tempo information to the POD500X so that all my devices are on the same tempo. Would be cool if tapping the tempo in the POD500HDx would also adjust tempo in Ableton -

I have the POD plugged in via USB to MIDI cables...what to do next??

• 2 years later...
hello good people need help. I realize that the topic can be tiring but it can't cope with it and I'm slowly going out of my mind;) I suspect that for some it is probably a simple matter. I am asking for help. I have POD HD PRO and a midi foot controller of the Polish manufacturer MARK L CUSTOMS model FC-21. A very nice and easy to use midi controller, it is controlled by a G Lab device model MGC 6. It is a switcher with 6 loops. After selecting the midi 1 channel in the FC-21 controller by setting the same midi 1 channel in the MGC 6, the controller ideally switches channels. I want to add POD HD PRO to this system. I would like to program it so that when I press the first midi foot controller button FC-21 read on the POD HD preset 1A, if I press the second button on the controller it reads on the POD HD preset 1B and so on ... POD HD PRO connected in G LAB switcher in midi out / true output. As for the POD HD PRO setting and what to write in it, I have absolutely no idea that it would work. Will you help friends ??? unfortunately I do not understand the operating instructions of POD

IMG_9304.JPG

23 hours ago, zyga-audio said:

hello good people need help. I realize that the topic can be tiring but it can't cope with it and I'm slowly going out of my mind;) I suspect that for some it is probably a simple matter. I am asking for help. I have POD HD PRO and a midi foot controller of the Polish manufacturer MARK L CUSTOMS model FC-21. A very nice and easy to use midi controller, it is controlled by a G Lab device model MGC 6. It is a switcher with 6 loops. After selecting the midi 1 channel in the FC-21 controller by setting the same midi 1 channel in the MGC 6, the controller ideally switches channels. I want to add POD HD PRO to this system. I would like to program it so that when I press the first midi foot controller button FC-21 read on the POD HD preset 1A, if I press the second button on the controller it reads on the POD HD preset 1B and so on ... POD HD PRO connected in G LAB switcher in midi out / true output. As for the POD HD PRO setting and what to write in it, I have absolutely no idea that it would work. Will you help friends ??? unfortunately I do not understand the operating instructions of POD

In the appendix about MIDI of the advanced guide is written:

"Load a Preset within the current Set List:

Send a Program Change message (Value 0-63 for Preset 01A - 16D) for the desired Preset within the current Set List."

which means that from your Midi Controller you have to send a Program Change (obviously both your MIDI controller and the POD should communicate through the same MIDI channel number) to the POD, and it means also that the Program Changes (within any currently selected Set List) corresponding to the presets in the POD are organized following a fixed sequence of progressive numerical values (from 0 to 63), therefore if as an example with your Midi Controller you send the Program Change zero you'll get the preset A of bank 1 of the POD, if you send the Program Change 1 you'll get the preset B of bank 1, if you send the Program Change 4 you'll get the preset A of bank 2, if you send the Program Change 63 you'll get the (last) preset D of bank 16, and so on,... I guess you get it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips