Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Charging G10 transmitter on Pod Go

pwik

I assume you are referring to 'Pod Go Wireless'.  And the answer is yes, Pod Go needs to be on in order to charge the G10 transmitter.  From p9 of the new Pod Go Wireless manual:

IMPORTANT! If you turn off POD Go Wireless while the G10T is in the Guitar/
Charge port, it will remain in sleep mode and slowly lose charge over a week or
so. Not a problem if you play POD Go Wireless every day, but a huge bummer
when you come back from vacation (which is why you should bring POD Go
Wireless on vacation with you!). While in the storage well, the G10T may retain
its charge for a month or more, so it’s ready to go when you are.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree doesn't seem right to leave the unit powered on the charge the G10.  Would have been a better design to have the transmitter charge in the Storage well.  I wonder if the Line 6 design team thought of this but had to cut costs and not route a phantom power supply to the storage well.  Oh well, live and learn. 

The manual is not clear on this point, and should be updated to clearly state, "to charge the G10 transmitter, the Pod Go Wireless unit MUST be powered on."

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jtashiro said:

I agree doesn't seem right to leave the unit powered on the charge the G10.  Would have been a better design to have the transmitter charge in the Storage well.  I wonder if the Line 6 design team thought of this but had to cut costs and not route a phantom power supply to the storage well.  Oh well, live and learn. 

The manual is not clear on this point, and should be updated to clearly state, "to charge the G10 transmitter, the Pod Go Wireless unit MUST be powered on."

This is partly why I was struggling to see the point of the Pod Go Wireless, as it would make more sense if the G10T II receiver could be powered when PGW was plugged in but without having to power up PGW. 

1 hour ago, voxman55 said:

This is partly why I was struggling to see the point of the Pod Go Wireless, as it would make more sense if the G10T II receiver could be powered when PGW was plugged in but without having to power up PGW. 

Agreed, this is a miss on Line 6 design, but not end of the world.  Perhaps they have something smart in their firmware that will offer charging in the storage unit, since it has some form of capacitor to maintain charge over time ...  Nonetheless, I have other G10 Relays and will plug into to those Receivers to charge overnight when the Pod Go is powered off.  Then when I power up Pod Go, I'll plugin to Guitar In jack to pair.  So I'll be fine...  

2 hours ago, voxman55 said:

If the storage well charged the battery, it would also drain the battery while the unit was powered off. This is just how the G10 transmitter works. So in that case, it wouldn’t really be useful as a storage well.

2 hours ago, voxman55 said:

Well the point is you get a digital wireless audio without any additional A/D-D/A conversions compared to using a standard 1/4” cable.

51 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Well the point is you get a digital wireless audio without any additional A/D-D/A conversions compared to using a standard 1/4” cable.

But you lose flexibility if you want to go wireless with e.g. a straight amp, a conventional pedal board, or any other MFX unit. With the G10 and G10S the charger is independent, and you can use the G10 wireless without having to charge from PGW. 

I'm also not sure I quite follow your explanation re how the PGW would differ from using e.g. the freestanding G10 or G10S?  Would there be any discernable difference in tone or range?  I appreciate you need a cable to connect PG to G10, but you only need a short pedal cable and I can't see that will make any discernable difference?

But you lose flexibility if you want to go wireless with e.g. a straight amp, a conventional pedal board, or any other MFX unit. With the G10 and G10S the charger is independent, and you can use the G10 wireless without having to charge from PGW. 

I'm also not sure I quite follow your explanation re how the PGW would differ from using e.g. the freestanding G10 or G10S?  Would there be any discernable difference in tone or range?  I appreciate you need a cable to connect PG to G10, but you only need a short pedal cable and I can't see that will make any discernable difference?

Discernible? On its own, I’m sure not not. But latency is additive, so anytime you can reduce, it’s a good thing. The difference between using the PGW compare to the PG with a separate wireless system is that with a separate wireless system, there’s a conversion at the transmitter, and then another one at the receiver’s output. Then there’s an additional conversion going into the PG’s 1/4” in. With the PGW, there’s only the analog to digital conversion at the transmitter. So its bypassing an entire round of conversion.

Beyond that, there’s simply the convenience factor of being able to show up at a gig and literally only plugging one thing in and being ready to go. I mean, sure if you want to do other things with a G10 system, than do that, but if someone wants to gig just with a POD Go, having the PGW is just a great convenience.

29 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Discernible? On its own, I’m sure not not. But latency is additive, so anytime you can reduce, it’s a good thing. The difference between using the PGW compare to the PG with a separate wireless system is that with a separate wireless system, there’s a conversion at the transmitter, and then another one at the receiver’s output. Then there’s an additional conversion going into the PG’s 1/4” in. With the PGW, there’s only the analog to digital conversion at the transmitter. So its bypassing an entire round of conversion.

Beyond that, there’s simply the convenience factor of being able to show up at a gig and literally only plugging one thing in and being ready to go. I mean, sure if you want to do other things with a G10 system, than do that, but if someone wants to gig just with a POD Go, having the PGW is just a great convenience.

I completely get your last point, and it's actually the point made in this review vid:

But if all you are using is PG, doesn't that make your observation on latency somewhat academic? 

The video raises 2 good points:

1. It should have had Bluetooth for complete wirelessness with earbuds.

2. I don't know if this has yet been fixed, but there appears to be no global wireless setting and you have to set each patch for wireless. If that's right, it's nuts and seems the biggest reason not to buy PGW until fixed?!

I don't  agree with his third point though. Many customers, me included, have wireless gear already or dont want wireless, or want independent wireless, so why be forced to pay quite a bit more for something you dont want?!  I think both options are right, to give customers choice. If there was only PGW I definitely wouldn't have bought it.

1. It should have had Bluetooth for complete wirelessness with earbuds.

The latency with Bluetooth is so high that using it to monitor guitar isn’t viable. Even the lowest latency Bluetooth systems at the moment are still pushing 100ms of latency.

2. I don't know if this has yet been fixed, but there appears to be no global wireless setting and you have to set each patch for wireless. If that's right, it's nuts and seems the biggest reason not to buy PGW until fixed?!

He must have been using a beta firmware for this review. This was changed with the firmware that was released shortly after the PGW announcement. It’s not a global setting, but all the factory presets have Guitar + Wireless set as the input setting now. I believe it’s also the default setting for a blank preset now. Basically, the beta firmware for the PGW was the PG firmware, so all the details for the wireless implementation hadn’t been ironed out with that firmware...

I mean, even so, I think not buying it because of that particular reason seems a bit over an overreaction. If you like the rest of the feature set, changing the input setting for the presets you want to use is a simple thing to do.

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

The latency with Bluetooth is so high, that using it to monitor guitar isn’t viable. Even the lowest latency Bluetooth systems at the moment are still pushing 100ms of latency.

He must have been using a beta firmware for this review. This was changed with the firmware that was released shortly after the PGW announcement. It’s not a global setting, but all the factory presets have Guitar + Wireless set as the input setting now. I believe it’s also the default setting for a blank preset now. Basically, the beta firmware for the PGW was the PG firmware, so all the details for the wireless implementation hadn’t been ironed out with that firmware...

I mean, even so, I think not buying it because of that particular reason seems a bit over an overreaction. If you like the rest of the feature set, changing the input setting for the presets you want to use is a simple thing to do.

I must admit it did seem odd.  But no, I don't think it would have been an over reaction to hold off until it was remedied - for a bedroom player it's one thing, but its highly inconvenient for gigging/band practice. But assuming its fixed, then that's academic now. For my needs I'd always require an independent wireless capability anyway as I have other gear. 

Thanks for the explanation re bluetooth latency.  

Annoying oversight?  As you're probably using the wireless adapter when you're playing with the Go and turning off the Go when you're not playing it...  I'd be kinda disappointed if I learned of this behavior..  Just extra hassle to do what most people would have assumed it should have done in the first place...  (charging even if off)  :\  And since the charge port is the guitar in, you can't use the PGO using a cable if you're charging the transmitter? 

But yeah I guess the G10 comes with its own charger, so using the external charger is an easy fix, likely not a big deal then!   It's even likely much more practical to just plug the G10 in its charge station, rather than having to plug it in the rear of the Go...

1 hour ago, grdGo33 said:

Annoying oversight?  As you're probably using the wireless adapter when you're playing with the Go and turning off the Go when you're not playing it...  I'd be kinda disappointed if I learned of this behavior..  Just extra hassle to do what most people would have assumed it should have done in the first place...  (charging even if off)  :\  And since the charge port is the guitar in, you can't use the PGO using a cable if you're charging the transmitter? 

But yeah I guess the G10 comes with its own charger, so using the external charger is an easy fix, likely not a big deal then!   It's even likely much more practical to just plug the G10 in its charge station, rather than having to plug it in the rear of the Go...

Yes, the Guitar In is the charging input for the G10.

Line 6 used to sell a little USB to TRS charging cable, but they recalled it for potential safety concerns. I think they were concerned about the possibility of over-charging.

10 hours ago, grdGo33 said:

Mistakes were made!   The PGO wireless comes with a G10 dongle, but it comes with no charging dock...  So if you just buy a PGO wireless, you have to charge the G10 in the PGO...   I thought the PGO might have just cost slightly more to support wireless, and you had to buy the wireless G10 kit (dongle + charger) to use with PGO...  

So yeah...  Sold as a kit, the part I had crossed of the above post isn't as irrelevant as I thought.   Just looking at the rear ports; I'd have expected it to charge in the storage compartment; and that there would have had a distinct circuit for the charger, allowing it to charge when plugged even if the Go is shutdown...  Oh well.

Still, sweetwater & musicianfriend have PGO 479 vs 579 with wireless.  99 for G10 dongle, 180 for G10 + dock.  So if it's 100 extra with PGO, the price of the dongle, but with wireless support...  Not bad if you want wireless I guess... 

Do all L6 products that support the G10 also have to remain powered on to charge the G10?  Or is this specific to PGO?

If you try to just plug the G10 and play, you get no sound.   You have to go to each preset, and change the input for wireless.  FOR EACH PRESET...

Ugh... Like...  Seriously?  Ah ok that was from some of the pre-production unit, might not have make it to production, hopefully...  Oh no!  From the manual: "Select the Input block on your POD Go Wireless device, press the lower knob, and choose either the “Guitar+Wireless” or “Wireless” as your input source.".  So it appears that they didn't change it.  Nothing about changing it globally in global settings either... OUCH!!!