Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix freezing up

Roberyj

has anybody had trouble with the Helix freezing up & having to shut it off & turn it back on?i had it happen a couple of times with the floor model Helix,i've been using the Rack unit now & last Sunday it froze up

2 times,i thought it was because i was sending 2 type of Midi commands to the Helix from from my music software program on my Laptop,so i disconnected it went fine,then Wednesday  night i wasn't

using any Mid i stepped on a Foot switch & held it down to copy one snapshot to another & before i touched the other foot switch to copy it, it froze up

1 minute ago, cglaser68 said:

I've had this happen to me on 3.1

Helix Floor.

This happened on a system that was updated to 3.1 from 3.01, and was factory reset and then restored as part of the upgrade process.

Did you open a support ticket to report this? Line 6 wants to hear about these things so it can investigate.

1 hour ago, Roberyj said:

has anybody had trouble with the Helix freezing up & having to shut it off & turn it back on?i had it happen a couple of times with the floor model Helix,i've been using the Rack unit now & last Sunday it froze up

2 times,i thought it was because i was sending 2 type of Midi commands to the Helix from from my music software program on my Laptop,so i disconnected it went fine,then Wednesday  night i wasn't

using any Mid i stepped on a Foot switch & held it down to copy one snapshot to another & before i touched the other foot switch to copy it, it froze up

Should not freeze, but usually it can go stuck or nuts, if there is a closed MIDI loop, like MIDI out messages bouncing back to MIDI in. (like for example Helix sending MIDI messages to a device which has MIDI Thru open, and that is connected to Helix MIDI IN)

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

i've had that happen a  few times i have the latest Firmware & everything is up to date,i was changing both presets & snap shots with Midi,i stopped changing presets with Midi & im just changing snapshots with Midi & it happened to me exactly the same way when i stepped on a preset button,what i had to do is make sure all my presets are backed up,which it will do this even if it's locked up then do a factory restore,you can do this by turning off Helix,then holding down buttons 5 & 6 on the front of the Helix Rack & turning it on it will do a Factory restore,it'll take a couple of minutes,after it reboots re install your presets it works for me & it has happened a few times,i talked to Line 6 about it & they said it was probably a defective preset but i think it's a glitch with the software,good luck

It used to happen to me all the time when I was running 2.82.  I was never able to figure out how or why it was happening.  It still made sound but nothing I touched made any difference.  I didn't know if it was a software issue or a hardware issue.  Somebody suggested an update to 2.92 would fix it.  It didn't but after the update to 2.92 I started paying closer attention and that was when I realized it happened every time I pressed the AMP button to shortcut to the amp block.  I started a service ticket and Line-6 was unable to diagnose the problem and said it needed to go to a service depot.  It was off warranty so it was going to cost me money and I didn't want to live without it for however many months so I learned to live without pressing the AMP button and used the unit for quite a while with no freezes.  After I updated to 3.01 I tested it and the problem had disappeared.   I am now running 3.11 and it still functions just as it should.  I do not pretend to know the reason why.

• 4 months later...

my helix is frozen. I can't change my presets and change my effects inside the frozen preset. 

I turn off and on and goes back to the same frozen preset. I can't play. I don't have any sound on my computer. My HX edit cant open my the presets. its says this 

On 4/12/2022 at 9:35 PM, jserrra said:

my helix is frozen. I can't change my presets and change my effects inside the frozen preset. 

I turn off and on and goes back to the same frozen preset. I can't play. I don't have any sound on my computer. My HX edit cant open my the presets. its says this 

Hi,

When your hardware starts to behave oddly in any way, the first thing to do is perform a Factory Reset.

Find the full list of options here.

https://helixhelp.com/tips-and-guides/universal/reset-options

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 4/13/2022 at 11:14 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

When your hardware starts to behave oddly in any way, the first thing to do is perform a Factory Reset.

Find the full list of options here.

https://helixhelp.com/tips-and-guides/universal/reset-options

This happened to me yesterday. Running firmware 3.15 Once it hung i know the only way back as a FR...but that unfortunately the reset wiped out all my presets. I've just done a restore and verified one patch that was able to causing the problem. Thank all that is holy I found the "clear the current patch" foot switch code. (Restart while holding 11&12). 

Other than this core dumpy feeling cold hang, I love this thing.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Hi guys!

I'm having a problem too. I just tried to update my band's helix from 2.30 to the latest 3.15 and the update stopped at about 33% and has left the helix pretty much frozen. If I turn off and on again it will show loading page then background will disappear as the red line goes across the screen and then it will stay with only the red line AND THAT'S ALL. Helix Edit software will not recognise it either. 

Would appreciate your help,

Cheers,
Daniel

On 7/25/2022 at 3:56 AM, DazzaxMusic said:

Hi guys!

I'm having a problem too. I just tried to update my band's helix from 2.30 to the latest 3.15 and the update stopped at about 33% and has left the helix pretty much frozen. If I turn off and on again it will show loading page then background will disappear as the red line goes across the screen and then it will stay with only the red line AND THAT'S ALL. Helix Edit software will not recognise it either. 

Cheers,
Daniel

Sounds like something went wrong during update. Before to proceed be sure to;

• Do Not plug your Helix in a USB hub
  • Be sure the USB ports you are using arent also using an internal hub
  • Do Not run any other software while updating
  • If a USB port fails updating, try another one (for example, my laptop has only one port that allow me to update my Helix/HX without issues)
  • Use the stock USB cable, or the shortest USB cable you have available.

Turn OFF the Helix.

Now, close the HX Edit (once the unit is stuck it wont communicate with the HX Edit anymore).

UNPLUG THE HELIX from the PC/MAC

Close any application running on your computer (browsers, streaming apps, music apps, etc etc)

Grab the latest Line6 Updater and install it.

Now, assuming you have the Helix Floor here, reboot the unit while holding down FS 6 and 12 (Safe Boot Mode).

Once the unit is ready, plug back the Helix USB and launch the updater and feed the unit with the firmware you want to install.

Good luck. :)

• Upvote 1

On 7/25/2022 at 2:56 AM, DazzaxMusic said:

Hi guys!

Cheers,
Daniel

Don’t Panic - It is very rare that a glitch in the firmware will actually turn your device into an paperweight.

I keep saying that I will stop doing this, but here we go again.

Once more from the top!

You mentioned that you were updating your HX to the latest v3.15 firmware, from version 2.30.  I mention this is because, IIRC, the “Boot Failure” is actually part of the 2.8 update process, when the main system Core was modified. Apparently this happens when updating from firmware versions prior to the Core change, which is what yours was. This is highlighted in the release notes.

My Helix/HX is at version X.XX. Can I go straight to 3.15?

Yes, but note that if you're starting from 2.80 or lower, the update will appear to happen twice. This is normal.

Firstly go to the "DOWNLOADS" menu at the top of this page and from  "-Choose Hardware -" select Helix. Leave the "-Choose Software-" menu item as it is, now select your Windows/Mac OSX from under the "-Choose OS-" tab, then click “Go”. From the next page you can select HX Edit 3.15 for your Helix. You will also need the Firmware 3.15 Flash Memory, and the Line 6 Updater version 1.25 - you will need this too.

Download all these items to your computer and note where they are.

Then:

Remove all previous Line 6 software from your computer especially the Windows drivers and then restart your computer.

Make sure to turn off the power to your Helix.

Unplug the USB cable from the computer and the Helix hardware.

Power up the Helix while holding down “FS6 & 12”. Will put the unit in a Safe Boot update mode. Use this when the Helix is in an un-recoverable state. Doing this will probably give you a completely blank screen, you should be able to re-install the firmware again.

Leave the Helix powered up.

Now you can install the latest HX Edit v. 3.15 (with all the drivers)

Reconnect the USB cable to the Helix and your computer - Do not use a Hub. (Some USB ports on the front of a PC can act as a hub, so use one on the back).

Ensure that HX Edit is closed and also shutdown any other background tasks, screen savers etc., also disconnect from any internet services. You don’t want anything to interfere with this installation routine.

Now, find and launch the Line 6 Updater Utility and select "Offline Mode". Your Helix and current firmware version should now show up in the window, click on the dark green coloured band and you should now have the option to select a  local file - point it at the Flash Memory 3.15 file you downloaded and let it get on with the update.

When it completes you will need to perform a Factory Reset on your Helix (hold down FS9 & 10 while turning the power on) and then you can launch the new HX Edit v.3.15 software and you should be good to go.

No guarantee is given or implied - you do this at your own risk. If this fails, contact Line 6 Customer Support and raise a ticket.

• 6 months later...

Having trouble here as well. Firing midi for several presets and it will randomly freeze. None on of the buttons will work. When I turn it off then back on it will work for a while but then I keep running into the same freezing problem. It's worked fine for 2-3 months before this has happened. Any ideas on how to fix this? I don't think I can send it back anywhere as I have shows in the near future.