Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Native 3.10 in Studio One 5.2 - how to get MIDI into Native

cchimi

I am trying to use Helix Native within the Show Page of Studio One 5.2.  Latest version of Native.  I am able to get Native to change its internal presets as I want, but I cannot figure out how to have Native, which is set up as an Aux instrument (audio), receive MIDI controller data to, for example, control the position of a wah pedal.

I've tried a number of ways.  I'm using an Audiofront MIDI Expression device with an expression pedal connected to send CC 11.  I can see the controller change values in the Controller window in the upper left.  Dragging the hand for that controller doesn't work.  Setting it up as a knob doesn't seem to work.  I never see MIDI IN within Native.  I've tried setting up a separate Virtual Instrument (MIDI) track with Native as its output with no joy.  I've tried using MIDI Learn within Native with no luck.  No MIDI seems to show up in Native.

I'm pretty experienced with MIDI, and with the Helix line of products.  But this has me flummoxed.  Can anyone point me to how to make this work?  I honestly can't believe it's this difficult for me to figure out.  Thanks for any advice.

Carl

I'm not sure what an 'aux instrument' is exactly - I normally have Helix Native running as an insert on an audio track.

When I had this working in the past, I had a separate instrument track where the 'Instrument Output' is the Helix plugin instance on the audio track (rename the plugin instances if you have multiple and they are ambiguous)

However, it's also possible that you've set it all up correctly but are running into this bug. It mentions the assignment not saving but I've also seen it be accompanied by the assignment simply not responding.

Thanks for the reply.  I'm new to Studio One, but I think of an Aux channel as essentially an audio channel.  And, yes, Helix is inserted on that channel.

It's possible the problem you cite was happening to me.  Today, my bandmate and I finally got Native to recognize a controller for the Wah position.  But Native seemed to constantly cause the whirling circle on my MacBook, so I think we've decided it will be easier and less crash-prone to use Ampire in Studio One to recreate my patches.  So, Native is out of the picture now for my work in this band.

Once again, thanks for your reply.

Carl

• 1 year later...

Hi cchimi,

How did you get to change your presets via midi in presonus studio one 5? I have been trying but without success.

I have audio backing tracks in studio one and play live with scuffham  sgear amp vat and have a separate midi track running along side the audio tracks to change presets in the sgear amp sim .

I have now bought helix native but cannot find a way to have the midi track change the presets as in the scuffham sgear.

Can you help please

Thanks 

Sorry, I haven't done this since I wrote the original post.  I went off in another direction.

If I have time tomorrow I'll look into it and see if I can remember.

I do remember that Native was so slow and caused so many problems that we went another way with trying to automate my guitar patches, using the guitar effects built into Studio One.

Carl