Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT Sounds Different When Using HX Edit

musicmanD123

Hello Helix Friends, I've had my LT for about 8 months and love it. There is something that has been driving me a crazy in regards to the sound. I started using HX Edit to build presets and later when I went back to play, they sounded different and of course I started tweaking and made a mess lol. Finally realized that when I use HX Edit and then unplug from the computer and just use headphones plugged into the LT the sound is very different. HX Edit seems to sound brighter with more high end, a bit hissy.

I'm using a PRS Custom SE plugged into the LT and listen with Beyerdynamic DT 770 (250 Ohm) headphones because I live in a small apartment in a city. The computer is a MacBook Pro running MacOS Catalina.

Has anyone also encountered this? Am I doing something wrong or do I need to EQ to make the sounds match up?

Thanks for the guidance.

Are you plugging your headphones into your Mac when you use HX Edit? If that’s the case, than you shouldn’t do that. You’d want to have the headphones plugged directly into the LT in both scenarios.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Are you plugging your headphones into your Mac when you use HX Edit? If that’s the case, than you shouldn’t do that. You’d want to have the headphones plugged directly into the LT in both scenarios.

HX Edit isnt producing any audio, then for sure it does sounds different. :D

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, PierM said:

HX Edit isnt producing any audio, then for sure it does sounds different. :D

Yeah, but it’s conceivable he could be running a DAW while using HX Edit, and running the audio through it... I really can’t think of anything else.

2 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Yeah, but it’s conceivable he could be running a DAW while using HX Edit, and running the audio through it... I really can’t think of anything else.

Indeed that. I remember another guy doing same mistake...

11 hours ago, phil_m said:

Yes I always plug headphones into the helix, but also have Garage Band on in the background. I just did a test, and when I closed the DAW the sound changed back to match Helix with HX edit. Thanks so much for the guidance on this.

But now it brings up the question of why the sound changes when plugged into the DAW? Is there some process to tone match or change levels when recording with helix?

3 hours ago, musicmanD123 said:

Yes I always plug headphones into the helix, but also have Garage Band on in the background. I just did a test, and when I closed the DAW the sound changed back to match Helix with HX edit. Thanks so much for the guidance on this.

But now it brings up the question of why the sound changes when plugged into the DAW? Is there some process to tone match or change levels when recording with helix?

Because you have your DAW setup so you monitor the source input which then feeds back to your Helix through the USB.  Turn off monitoring source in your DAW and you'll always hear the source from the Helix.

6 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

Because you have your DAW setup so you monitor the source input which then feeds back to your Helix through the USB.  Turn off monitoring source in your DAW and you'll always hear the source from the Helix.

Thanks so much. The Helix is a fantastic product and its so great to be able to tap into the community here to get experienced guidance. 

10 hours ago, musicmanD123 said:

It is important to note that the Helix tone is NOT changing... but any processing within the DAW will alter the sound of the Helix and levels & latency will have a big impact on your perception. FWIW, I only monitor through my DAW when it's the most practical method (which is rare) for a situation... I must prefer direct monitoring of everything I do.