Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Brit Jumped Models

mcentee2

Which jumped and guitar in arrangement do the Jumped models follow?

I have a Marshall SV20 jumpered from Bright Low to Normal High, and plug my guitar in to either Bright High or Normal Low as the mood takes me.

Does the Helix Plexi Jumped model cover this, or some other arrangement?

Great question... I'm not sure very many understand the complexity of the "jump" on the real amp, and the variations it can create. 

IMO.... I don't know for certain, but I think the Line 6 model is setup more like a "split" than a jump - the way Eric Johnson runs his amp. Instead of jumping the the two sides, a split is run to enter both "high level inputs" on the amp. My reason to believe this is that the channels sound the same on the JUMP as they do on the individual "normal" and "bright" models. There doesn't appear to be any low level inputs involved which is actually forced on one of the plexi channels with a jumper. 

Thankyou, it is indeed a complex thing. I thought the same as you purely by reasoning that I read somewhere Line6 only modelled the Hi inputs, and advise to use a vol/gain reduction block to imitate the low inputs before the amp.

This meant if you did "jumper" the two remaining jacks there would no 3rd jack for the guitar, lol, so it must be modelled via a split Y cable into both High jacks :)

Having done some listening this afternoon comparing preamps to the SV20 jumped as above and using the Normal Low guitar input, the Helix Plexi jump and bright preamps are not too far from my SV20 but are darker in character, less sparkly.

The JTM45 is even closer, but the standout winner is the Who Watt, near enough spot on.

7 hours ago, mcentee2 said:

but the standout winner is the Who Watt, near enough spot on.

I was just playing with that model over the weekend...

I used to own a couple Hiwatts over the years and when I set the model in the Helix the way I used to run those it was pretty much identical. Tremendously dynamic, and a beautiful grit when pushed hard (which was really hard to do with the real amps). 

• Like 1

My SV20 has TAD preamp tubes, and Marshall only used one of the many flavours of Plexi preamps as their template, so I bet the Line6 reference is actually different to my SV anyway. They are close though compared to a lot of the other preamps.

My other favourite at the moment is the Princess for a really thick juicy clean that the SV itself just can't get :)

I have a handwired Cascadia JTM45. I'm currently running Helix floor 4CM into the Zero Loss loop using the JTM jumped preamp and it's pretty close to the Cascadia alone dimed into my Two Notes Captor X. 

I need to play with the Hiwatt. There's so many great models in this thing I've never gotten around to it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, amenity421 said:

I have a handwired Cascadia JTM45. I'm currently running Helix floor 4CM into the Zero Loss loop using the JTM jumped preamp and it's pretty close to the Cascadia alone dimed into my Two Notes Captor X. 

I need to play with the Hiwatt. There's so many great models in this thing I've never gotten around to it.

Great to know. I still love a good Marshall model!

A helpful user on TGP mentioned that the real Plexi modelled in Helix had it's bright cap removed. This would explain exactly the differences I heard with the block vs my SV20 Preamp :)

I have even more confidence in the other preamp blocks now :)

On 4/28/2021 at 12:14 AM, codamedia said:

I used to own a couple Hiwatts over the years and when I set the model in the Helix the way I used to run those it was pretty much identical. Tremendously dynamic, and a beautiful grit when pushed hard (which was really hard to do with the real amps). 

Because the windows blow out, the neighbours call the police and your ears fall off :-)

+1 to the WhoWatt model. It's oddly under-rated and it is a monster. And it can be pushed to the limits without ending your marriage, jail time, windows on the lawn, bleeding stumps of ears etc.

On 5/1/2021 at 7:10 AM, mcentee2 said:

A helpful user on TGP mentioned that the real Plexi modelled in Helix had it's bright cap removed. This would explain exactly the differences I heard with the block vs my SV20 Preamp :)

Do you by any chance have a link to that thread / comment? Always interested in this kind of detail about the actual amps L6 are modelling, especially if there are little quirks like this.

No worries if you can't find the thread - I'm not fact-checking you, just after more info ;-)

This is a link to the v2.9 thread, page 87 from April 2020. 

References to the bright cap are clustered around a page or so earlier all the way through to beyond 100 I think. Google teases out more places it is mentioned.

Lots to learn.