Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix/HX 3.11 Update

Digital_Igloo

This is just great! We are already seeing the benefits of the improved upgrade process with what essentially amounts to a quickfix in very short order addressing some issues in 3.10. The fact that the new upgrade process causes far fewer users issues allows these kinds of quick responses to bugs or even to just push out new features more rapidly while minimizing the number of users who have problems with the upgrade. To me this is perhaps the greatest benefit of a smoother upgrade process and it is manifestly demonstrated with the release of 3.11 so shortly after 3.10. Just remember to follow the upgrade instructions and run the factory reset and restore afterwards! Thanks Line6! Cheers!

If you go check 'File' --> 'About HX Edit' in HX Edit after your update is completed you should see HX Edit 3.10 and the firmware at 3.11.

• Upvote 2

They shouldnt force you to back up before the update. Its pretty much a waste. Whats the first thing we do when theres a new firmware update? We start loading the new models, making changes, building sounds, ect, making changes to what we just backed up.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, willjrock said:

They shouldnt force you to back up before the update. Its pretty much a waste. Whats the first thing we do when theres a new firmware update? We start loading the new models, making changes, building sounds, ect, making changes to what we just backed up.

No. (a waste of what? Lol)

What I do just after an update is to reset everything and restore the backup, which means getting my unit setup as it was before. Globals, Preset, favs, defaults, IRs etc..

That's exactly the point of doing a backup.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, willjrock said:

The backup is forced so that you have access to the pre-update state of the device in case something goes wrong with the update. In some cases recovery of the device can only be achieved by wiping out all data on the device with a full factory reset. That’s when the backup is handy.

You’re right that under normal circumstances a firmware update leaves most data intact on the device and the backup is really only useful for restoring global settings and for restoring data if you choose to follow the recommendation to perform a factory reset after updating.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, willjrock said:

And I shouldn’t be forced to wear pants in public. But here we are.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, soundog said:

The CDC now says that people with no vassectination can also go without pants, but they have to wear a mask "down there."

H.R. 69... The "Fig Leaf" Bill is expected to pass with overwhelming bipartisan support. It's the one thing those a$$holes can agree on...  ;)

• Haha 2

If you really don't want to do a backup, you can use the line6 updater instead of updating from HXEdit.   

I've done this a few times to start from factory defaults.  Though I always forget to set a few global parameters I like to use so I always backup now.

Station Alert!

This may be my fault.  Remember back in some distant post to how I was saying I always backup then reset to factory settings before upgrading then reset again after upgrading, restore from backup, then manually update my restored patches to the latest firmware version again so it can do it for me automatically upon the next reboot, and finally manually update just because; intentional long sentence to prove my neurosis.  Maybe I passed my neurosis over to the engineers? 

Now, back to your regularly scheduled debate of speedos versus fig leaf!

• 3 months later...
45 minutes ago, moodyblue885 said:

Yes, that's exactly what it's doing.  Did not used to do that on boot.

Did you do a factory reset and restore from backup after updating? It should only have to rebuild the presets once after the update, and then it shouldn’t do it again.

I did not perform a factory reset.  I never have.  I will do that because now it's doing other things.  The joy stick doesn't work when you press down on it all of the sudden, and the unit is freezing up.  I have NEVER had any issues with this stuff.