Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dead Mic Input - should a function that has never worked be a warranty repair?

TMaxxUK

Dead Mic In...

I have had this issue since the first time i tried to use the mic input...  i didn't discover this until just before xmas when i tried to set up a streaming channel on youtube and twitch, where i was going to use my Helix for all audio capture. 

having experienced a 3 week turnaround on a previous repair with the UK service agent, am reticent to send my Helix away again as i use it to record daily.

i have had to work around this by using my Presonus USB audio device for the mic, not ideal and. a pain in the arse when recording in Studio One, as i have to change audio device to record vocals after guitar or other instruments with my Helix.

based on this, i have got a sponsorship deal with Positive Grid to do my streams with their stuff (Bias FX Elite), as i can use a USB audio interface (mic in one side, guitar in the other)... less of a faff around!

if there was some form of loan unit, even if repaired/replaced units, that would make the wait acceptable... but 3 weeks to have a scribble strip replaced and the expression pedal re-calibrated to go back to zero is really not acceptable for a unit that costs over a grand!

there seems to be a lack of spares stocked here for some reason... for a flag-ship product i expect better support internationally. having worked for a major amplifier manufacturer in the UK and distribution of high end custom USA guitar brands (Hamer and Ovation), we endeavoured to sort out customer issues in days, not weeks.

37 minutes ago, TMaxxUK said:

having experienced a 3 week turnaround on a previous repair with the UK service agent, am reticent to send my Helix away again as i use it to record daily.

Hi,

I’m going to guess that when you say “the UK service agent”, you a referring to E&M Electronics, but that is not the point. If your Mic input is faulty and your Helix is still under warranty, or even if not, to be able to use it it will require a repair. Usually that means sending the item to an approved repair centre, so you will be without it for whatever length of time it takes to do the repair. Sadly there is no way round that.

Strangely, you say that this Mic input is a “function that has never worked”, but you only discovered it just before Christmas 2020. If you found out then, why did it take until now - some 4 months later - to post on here asking about a warranty repair. Also, if you never tried until Xmas last year, how could you possibly know that it “has never worked”? Very odd.

Anyhow, no matter, you will be without the hardware until it gets repaired, or you could try finding a rental until you get it back.

AFAIK these guys rent out a Line 6 Helix LT.

https://fatllama.com/rentals/london/hire-line-6-helix-lt-guitar-processor-76725005

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Honestly 3 weeks seems fair to me. Not sure its much less than that in US, unless you are lucky enough to have a L6/Yamaha support center in your town.

Took 6 weeks for me, from Italy to Germany and back...for a damn joystick. That was way too much, but 3 weeks (aka 15 working days) seems good to me. I mean, these are places with walls of crap to fix, they arent scratching their heads, waiting for someone to knock.

Imho 100% :)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TMaxxUK said:

if there was some form of loan unit, even if repaired/replaced units, that would make the wait acceptable... but 3 weeks to have a scribble strip replaced and the expression pedal re-calibrated to go back to zero is really not acceptable for a unit that costs over a grand!

Wouldn't much matter if you had paid ten grand....No matter what breaks or who's product it is, when you take it to a repair shop,  you're not gonna be the first one in line. On top of that, half the time they're gonna have to order whatever part(s) need replacing... it's far from a given that they'll have one of everything on hand the day you show up. Then there's the question of whether or not it's a warranty job. There's always some protocol to determine who's paying for it, and how much. Generally speaking, it's a much shorter the wait when the money is coming out of your pocket... but I digress. Either way, waiting is par for the course.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...