Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

3.11 issue?

trolley

So I updated my Helix rack to 3.11 no probs. But last night I tried to change folders using the Home button on the unit & it did nothing. I also tried the folder button - again nothing.

TBF I haven't tried using the buttons for a couple of weeks, but the other 2 buttons work fine. Obviously I can switch presets using the software but if I ever get back out rehearsing & playing, that's not an option. The folder button steps through the models in a given preset - which is interesting!

Anyone else seen this? Or is it just my unit?

Everybody has seen this on all our units because that's what it's designed to do according to the Helix manual and the big quick reference sheet which you may want to familiarize yourself with.  I can only assume by "folders" you're talking about setlists which is what you're trying to change.  The Home button is used to return you to your default main home screen which is the view of your signal chain.  If you're already on that view it does nothing.  I can only assume that you're referring to the Amp button which is located next to the home button when you refer to the "folder" button, which simply takes you to the amp model in your current preset.

If you're wanting to change setlists, you press the knob just above the home button which then allows you to scroll through the setlists and select the one you want.

Just remember, "reading is your friend" as is the manual and the big quick reference sheet.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, trolley said:

So I updated my Helix rack to 3.11 no probs. But last night I tried to change folders using the Home button on the unit & it did nothing. I also tried the folder button - again nothing.

TBF I haven't tried using the buttons for a couple of weeks, but the other 2 buttons work fine. Obviously I can switch presets using the software but if I ever get back out rehearsing & playing, that's not an option. The folder button steps through the models in a given preset - which is interesting!

Anyone else seen this? Or is it just my unit?

That's not a folder in the button. Is an amp. That button does instantly select amps and cab block in your preset, if present, and give you access to tonestack params for every click of that button. Home button does bring you back to main home/patch screen.

Preset navigation is page 13 in the manual. You cant buy a device like Helix without reading the manual. :)

• Upvote 1

Can I just make clear:

1) I didn't just buy the Helix - I've had it for 4.5 years.

2) I have read the manual - on several occasions

3) I've always done what I said & not had an issue.

Just to be clear - because clearly I wasn't - On the LHS of the main rack unit are 4 buttons. The Home button currently does nothing when I press it. The Save & the one next to it (to open menu with advanced settings & functions) work OK. The Home button seems to do nothing.

Line 6 advised to use the Updater to reinstall. Since it gave me the option I regressed to 3.1. Same result.

The last option offered is to contact their service guys, in case the button's gone dead.

It seems strange that just one button doesn't work (?) - a bit like me maybe :)

16 minutes ago, trolley said:

Can I just make clear:

Just to be clear - because clearly I wasn't - On the LHS of the main rack unit are 4 buttons. The Home button currently does nothing when I press it. The Save & the one next to it (to open menu with advanced settings & functions) work OK. The Home button seems to do nothing.

Line 6 advised to use the Updater to reinstall. Since it gave me the option I regressed to 3.1. Same result.

The last option offered is to contact their service guys, in case the button's gone dead.

Again; the home button isn't doing anything because its only function is bring you back to home page, which is the preset view with the path, the blocks etc. That's it.

You said:

9 hours ago, trolley said:

last night I tried to change folders using the Home button on the unit & it did nothing. I also tried the folder button - again nothing.

Home button should not change any folder. If you boot the Helix, there you are in Home Page. If you press the Home button, it will do nothing, since you are already there. Folder button, does not exist. That's the tonestack button, and isn't doing anything with preset navigation.

To change folder (assuming you means setlist), you need to cick the PRESET rotary knob on the left, and then you use the main Rotary Joystick on the right, to navigate through folders and presets (NAV; UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/CLICK/SCROLL). After that, you either turn back to home page, once you selected/loaded a new preset from the setlist, or you can press Home Button to go back to "home page".

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, trolley said:

Can I just make clear:

Could easily be a hardware issue with the button needing cleaning or just failing. The Home and "Page --> " buttons on my Helix have both started to periodically require two clicks although my Page button started to fail a year earlier. Their performance has degraded over time. Opening up the chassis and cleaning the contacts might help. For now I am just tolerating it. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, trolley said:

I tried to change folders using the Home button on the unit & it did nothing. I also tried the folder button - again nothing.

To reiterate what has been posted previously in reply to your issue - there is no such thing as a folder button on any of the HX range of units.

Just to be clear - it helps if we are all using the same terminology that is used in the Owners manual. - here we go!

• PRESET - Turn this knob to select a preset. Press the knob to open the Setlist menu—see “Selecting Presets and Setlists”
  • SAVE - Press this button to rename and save changes to a preset.
  • MENU (3 Stacked Horizontal Lines) - Press this button to dive a bit deeper into Helix, and you’ll find Command Center, Global EQ, Global Settings, and other menus.
  • HOME (House Icon) - If you ever get lost, press this button to return to the main Home screen.
  • AMP (Amplifier Icon) - Press this button once, or multiple times, to quickly jump to the tonestack parameters (Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble, etc.) of any Amp+Cab, Amp, and Preamp models in the current preset.

Therefore, from you description in the posts you have made, hitting the “HOME” button produces no result, because you have not moved away from the home page. CORRECT, that is what it does.

Likewise pressing “SAVE”, the “MENU” icon buttons produce the correct result. TICK!

Pressing the “AMP”icon, will simply keep you on the same screen, but bring up, Amp and Cab in the current preset.

To get access to what you are calling “Folders” -  (SETLISTS), simply press the large round encoder knob below the legend “PRESETS

If this doesn’t work, then you have a hardware problem that will possibly require a technician to repair it.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

In case anyone else ends up here...  I believe the question relates to how to select or change to a new folder in the presets.  In my case, I wanted to create new presets.  From the factory install, it's no problem, you just navigate the presets with the Presets button until you come to a "New Preset" and the you can press the Preset button and create a New Preset. 

This is less obvious after a firmware update because when navigating the presets, there is no "New Preset" to select as you scroll through the available presets.  What you need to do is select a new preset "folder" like "User 1, User 2, etc" and then you can enter all the new presets you want; the trick is, how to select a new preset folder,  follow these steps: 

• Press the Preset button, this will bring up the list of preset folders (Factory 1, Factory 2, User 1, etc) and likely "Factory 1" preset will be selected with a list of available presets which shows to the right of "Factory 1". 
  • Push the Joystick to the left "<" (this is the less obvious trick)
  • This will clear the presets listed for Factory 1 and show a blank screen for the list of available presets
  • Now, simply turn the Preset button  or the Joystick to the right which will move down the list of preset folders (Factory 1, Factory 2, User 1, etc)
  • If you want to create new presets, turn the Presets button to the right until it lands on "User 1", press the Presets button
  • On the right side, a list of "New Presets" is now available
  • Turn the Preset button to the right to navigate to the desired New Preset (01A, 01B, etc)
  • With the desired New Preset selected, press the Preset button and now you're ready to add your amp + cabinet and effects

It sounds like a lot of steps but only because I wanted to list each step individually, it's really quite simple once you know the sequence.  Hope this helps.