Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fixing non-functional footswitch buttons

DolurumMafikala

Summary: try some lubricating contact cleaner before you replace the switches.

I've just had a good experience fixing non-functional footswitch buttons on my Pod HD 500X. There are plenty of posts and even Youtube videos about this, but I have a couple of additional tips that might help someone.

My FS1 and Bank Up footswitch buttons had gradually stopped stopped working. The design of these units is that the metal footswitch you press has a spring-loaded plunger that in turn activates a microswitch on the Pod circuit board. There are two long, horizontal printed circuit boards that carry the two rows of footswitches. You can see them here: https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/280562-line-6-50-02-0234-top-and-bottom-switch-pcb-assembly-for-hd500x

It seems that the microswitches tend to stop working over time on these Pods and on other products across the L6 portfolio as they are commonly used behind footswitches.

My Pod is out of warranty, so I was considering desoldering the individual microswitches and replacing them (possible and cheap but fiddly), or purchasing a replacement PCB (easier replacement but more expensive). Before I did that I tried using a lubricating contact cleaner and was pleasantly surprised that it has brought the buttons back to life. It was a cheap and easy fix.

Please, if you try this, take electrical safety precautions and protect the device from electrostatic discharge from yourself. If you don't know what those things mean then don't open the Pod.

Method 1 - tried and successful

Start with the Pod facing downwards on your bench, so you are looking at the back of the device and can see the case screws with their ringed rubber feet.

I opened up the Pod with the 8 case screws.
I then removed the 12 small screws fixing the PCB carrying the affected micro switches to the metal switches.
I carefully rotated the PCB so the microswitches were visible and applied a small amount of the contact cleaner (using the applicator straw) to the affected switches.
Refixed everything.
Tested and working.

Method 2 - not tried but I think would be successful and easier

As above but don't bother removing the PCB. Simply use the applicator straw on your contact cleaner spray and squirt "upwards" onto the microswitch. Give the switch a few pumps to work it in and get the Pod back the right way up quickly so gravity can help you.

Method 3 - not tried and not sure it if would work but probably worth a go and would be the easiest

Don't even open the Pod. Using the applicator straw, dribble contact cleaner down the shaft of the metal switch, where it would eventually reach the microswitch. Risk here is that you end up using excessive amounts, but probably a good option if you feel uncomfortable opening up the Pod and can't have Line 6 do the job for you.

The switch cleaning lubricant I used was Servisol Super 10. There are others. Don't use a contact cleaner that does not contain a lubricant unless you want to be doing it again soon.

Hope this helps save some Pods,
DM