Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thoughts on small active monitors for use with HD 500X?

DolurumMafikala

Hi All,

I'm hoping for some advice. I just play at home, or in a friend's home for jamming. I've been using my Pod HD 500X with either headphones or plugged into the "CD Input" of my 15w practice amp. The CD input bypasses the pre-amp. Headphones are Sennheiser HD280Pros (64 Ohm closed back). Amp is a Peavey Rage 158. Peavey don't seem to get much love, but I really like this little amp. It's versatile and quite loud!

I enjoy playing out loud and I think it sounds and feels better than in the headphones. I leave the output mode on Studio Direct as it sounds better to me than via the more "correct" Combo Power Amp setting.

I have been looking into an active speaker setup as many are saying this allows modellers to shine. FRFR / Powercab-style options are far bigger than I can use from the point of space and volume.

I suppose my requirements are:

• Noticeable improvement over using my practice amp CD Input
  • Suitable for small, untreated room
  • Bonus: good for mixing as well as playing guitar

I am eyeing the Tannoy Reveal 402 model. They seem small and designed for small rooms. I already have some Tannoy hi-fi speakers in the room so they would blend in. They have XLR inputs.

Manufacturer page:

https://www.tannoy.com/product.html?modelCode=P0C46

Various retailers:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Reveal402--tannoy-reveal-402-4-inch-powered-studio-monitor

https://www.thomann.de/de/tannoy_reveal_402.htm

https://www.andertons.co.uk/tannoy-reveal-402-studio-monitor-(single-unit)

Does anyone have any views on these speakers and whether they would be suitable for use with the Pod HD in my circumstances? Do you think it would be a noticeable upgrade?

Thanks in anticipation,

DM.

402 seems a bit low on power and cone is a bit too small IMO...The 502 looks a bit better IMO...bigger cone and double the power....Wow!, SPL is 108 on the 502...Compared to the 402 that's +7db...That is a huge difference in efficiency...power is about double on the 502...So on paper, I look at the 502 as having at least +10db more headroom than the 402...extra inch of cone space would really help for guitar tracking. Mainly because if you have 2 5 inch cones, that is effectively able to move the same amount of air as a single 12" speaker since the cone area is nearly the same. 402 could work great for you...really depends on the space and your requirements...Personally, I would go 502 for myself if I were to go Tannoy. Better to have a bit too much power than not enough.

Thanks @spaceatl for looking into it.

Looking at the dimensions I can go to the 5" . I take your point about the 4" being a bit small. Even the 5s are only a foot tall!

Do you use active speakers/monitors yourself with the Pod? I wondering about how much difference it really makes vs the practice amp at "bedroom levels".

DM.

4 hours ago, DolurumMafikala said:

Thanks @spaceatl for looking into it.

Looking at the dimensions I can go to the 5" . I take your point about the 4" being a bit small. Even the 5s are only a foot tall!

Do you use active speakers/monitors yourself with the Pod? I wondering about how much difference it really makes vs the practice amp at "bedroom levels".

DM.

The basic thing you want to keep in mind is that you need 3-4 times the PEAK power as that corresponds to amp you are emulating...Basically, if you are modeling a 100 watt Fender Twin using FRFR speakers like studio near field or PA monitors, you need monitors that can render a 400 watt peak. The reason for this has to do with how Tube power amps differ from solid-state....Tube amplifiers exceed the rated output by 3-4 times in the form of fast transients...Combined with the compression behavior that is completely unique to tubes, you get an extremely dynamic response...The modelers can replicate the voltage swings pretty decently now...However, in order to get something that approximates what power amp is doing you need as much power as you can afford in my experience...Personally, I use ALTO TS-212 monitors (1 12" x 1 1")....usually only one, two is glorious tho...I find that a 500 watt RMS rating in solid-state (Class D or AB) is just about right for replicating dynamics when using a modeler...FRFR Monitors is the way to go now IMO, just make sure you have enough power and cone space or you might be disappointed.

The main difference at bedroom levels with be the air...With a guitar amp, the highend rolls off at 5K....With an FRFR monitor, you will hear the air....The emulated mic on the cabinet in the room...The ambience.

I use my pod500x through my monitors alot while recording and sometimes just straight through the monitors they are sterling mx5s so kinda similar to what your looking at..... I think they are fine you couldn't use it in a band setting of course but like I said for recording or jamming in a small space it doesn't get much better monitors are frfr, from my understanding that is what you want so I say go for it honestly I think it's a cost effective way to actually use the stereo effects the pod has (just make sure to get two)......  I also have a dt50 for when I need to really get some noise but it is mono so some of the effects don't work quite right but it does have a damn nice tube sound and amp replication

• Thanks 1