Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is this normal?

bverdon

Not a huge deal... everything seems to be working fine with my Helix Floor unit... just curious.... every time I restart my Helix it goes through the preset rebuild process... which of course take a few minutes. 

I noticed this since my previous upgrade to 3.10 .. just upgraded today to 3.11 and seeing the same issue. Yes.. I have reset to FD post both firmware upgrades.

Thanks

9 minutes ago, bverdon said:

Not a huge deal... everything seems to be working fine with my Helix Floor unit... just curious.... every time I restart my Helix it goes through the preset rebuild process... which of course take a few minutes. 

I noticed this since my previous upgrade to 3.10 .. just upgraded today to 3.11 and seeing the same issue. Yes.. I have reset to FD post both firmware upgrades.

Thanks

Hi,

This is perfectly normal after an update - your presets and being upgraded to work with the latest Firmware.

Simply to save me a lot of typing - you may want to read through this for information.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1

The rebuild process takes place at the end of the update during reboot and should only happen the one time. 

However.... if you restore anything from a backup the rebuild process will happen again. This doesn't matter if the restore is from the current backup (made during updating) or just importing a single preset. It will also happen if you download or purchase a preset that might have been prepared on an older firmware version. 

EDIT TO ADD: I see datacommando swooped in while I was typing :) 

• Like 1

That’s not normal unless you have imported one or more presets from older firmware since the previous startup. If it’s happening at every startup, even with no preset imports during the last session, that indicates the presence of one or more corrupt presets.

To narrow things down take note of the number of the first preset being rebuilt. Divide that number by 128 to determine the number of the associated setlist. Export that setlist, replace it by importing a User setlist full of New Presets, and restart your Helix. It may start rebuilding presets again due to the setlist you just imported. If so shut down and start up again immediately. If you no longer observe any rebuilding it means you have identified the suspect setlist. If you want to pursue it further to identify the corrupt preset(s) we can discuss further at that time.

Haven't tested the latest version of HX Edit and the firmware but in past versions just copying and pasting presets from one location to another even without importing any presets would cause just the copied/moved presets to be rebuilt upon restart. As has been stated though the only time you should see all the presets rebuilt is after a firmware upgrade or a restore.

I have exactly the same issue as BVerdon.  I had not installed HX Edit 3.01 (which I thought I had...) but did today install HX Edit 3.10.  I backed up all my presets, then installed Firmware 3.11 to my Helix Floor.  I did a Factory Reset after installation was complete, and then restored my backups.  Everything was rebuilt, and performed properly.  But when I turned the Helix back on a few hours later, it started rebuilding another 600 or 700 presets, and to me, that IS huge deal.  I'm not sure how to proceed, but I definitely don't want the Helix to have to rebuild all the presets every time I turn it on.

23 hours ago, silverhead said:

That’s not normal unless you have imported one or more presets from older firmware since the previous startup. If it’s happening at every startup, even with no preset imports during the last session, that indicates the presence of one or more corrupt presets.

To narrow things down take note of the number of the first preset being rebuilt. Divide that number by 128 to determine the number of the associated setlist. Export that setlist, replace it by importing a User setlist full of New Presets, and restart your Helix. It may start rebuilding presets again due to the setlist you just imported. If so shut down and start up again immediately. If you no longer observe any rebuilding it means you have identified the suspect setlist. If you want to pursue it further to identify the corrupt preset(s) we can discuss further at that time.

This is happening at every startup... and I suspected it is not normal. Yes... went through normal upgrade process... reset to FD's then performed restore from backup.

Not sure I follow you here.. "unless you have imported one or more presets from older firmware since the previous startup".  I have imported someone else's files.. and yes.. I am sure it is from previous Firmware... but wouldn't that be the case for anyone that imported a preset? 

It is starting at preset 1 so.. not sure I can narrow it down per your instructions. 

Thank you very much for your response!

On 5/1/2021 at 9:29 AM, codamedia said:

The rebuild process takes place at the end of the update during reboot and should only happen the one time. 

However.... if you restore anything from a backup the rebuild process will happen again. This doesn't matter if the restore is from the current backup (made during updating) or just importing a single preset. It will also happen if you download or purchase a preset that might have been prepared on an older firmware version. 

EDIT TO ADD: I see datacommando swooped in while I was typing :) 

But... every time I restart the Helix??

On 5/1/2021 at 9:26 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

This is perfectly normal after an update - your presets and being upgraded to work with the latest Firmware.

Simply to save me a lot of typing - you may want to read through this for information.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I appreciate the link.. good stuff there.

Well.. followed the restore to FD's per that doc.. and it came up clean... and on reboot... worked fine... but... 

Once I performed the recovery, it goes through the updating presets every time I restart it. 

Figured it out... one corrupt preset in my preset list... just went through each one... one of them gave me an error regarding some kind of memory location... deleted it... now everything is working as designed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, bverdon said:

I appreciate the link.. good stuff there.

Well.. followed the restore to FD's per that doc.. and it came up clean... and on reboot... worked fine... but... 

Once I performed the recovery, it goes through the updating presets every time I restart it. 

Here’s a rather tedious but likely effective troubleshooting strategy....

1. Perform the factory reset as you described above, which restores your device so that it works fine after reboot. Use HX Edit to individually export setlists named Factory1, Factory 2, UserX (any one of them), and Templates. This gives you individual copies of all factory setlists. Restart your device to ensure that no presets are rebuilt.

2. Rather than perform a full restoration from you backup file, be selective about what you restore and perform a restart (twice!) after each partial restoration. I suggest you proceed in this order:

2a. Using HX Edit, select Restore Backup. In the dialog box, select everything EXCEPT presets. Uncheck the Setlists box. After the restoration restart and observe whether any presets are rebuilt. There shouldn’t be any because at this point your device holds only the factory presets which weren’t rebuilt in Step 1. Your Global Settings, IRs, Favourites, and User Models have been restored but this should not trigger any preset rebuilding. 

2b. Use HX Edit again to restore one setlist at a time. Note that Setlists #1, 2, and 8 should not be restored since they are the latest factory presets installed as part of Step 1. Leave their boxes unchecked. Begin with only Setlist #3; uncheck all other Setlist boxes. After restarting the device you will see the presets in Setlist #3 being rebuilt. This will begin with preset #257 (2*128 + 1). This rebuild is normal since you added new presets since the last power up. Immediately restart the device again. There should be no further rebuilding since you did not add presets during the last session. If you do observe the presets in Setlist #3 being built again that indicates that this Setlist contains one or more corrupt presets. If you take careful note you can even identify the offending preset(s) by their number. The displayed number, offset by 256, then divided by 4 (number of presets in each of Banks 1-32) leaves a remainder between 0 and 3 indicating preset D in the given bank (remainder 0) or preset A to C in the next bank.

2c. Repeat Step 2b restoring setlists #4 through 7 one at a time. Identify all setlists that contain corrupt presets. 

2d. Replace all identified corrupt setlists with the factory UserX Setlist that you created in Step 1. 

3. Restart your device again to ensure that there are no presets being rebuilt. This may require two startups. At this point your device should be back in good working order, but you may have some  corrupt setlists and presets that you’d like to use again.

4. If you deem it worthwhile you can dive into figuring out which presets are corrupt by doing the numeric analysis I described in Step 2b. Do this for every Setlist you had to replace in Step 2d. Retain the good presets and discard the corrupt ones until you get a clean startup again.

I understand that this is extremely tedious and may not be worth your time. You can always open a support ticket and get Line 6 to help.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, silverhead said:

Aarrgghhhh..... I should have waited a few more minutes before beginning my troubleshooting directions......

Glad you got it sorted out.

Absolutely not.

I think this should be 'stickied.

Absolutely invaluable information. Someone should collate all these troubleshooting tips into one sub-forum.