Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp and Focusrite Scarlett In Stereo

ACinemaStare

Hey everyone,

I am not sure if this is possible although I am looking to see if there is any way to connect my HX Stomp to an audio interface and still run that in stereo. I know the HX Stomp can be used as an AI although I want to check out plugins and I like to run the HX Stomp in stereo as I have some stereo pedals like the Strymon Volante. If I got something like the Scarlett  2i2 or

4i4 could I run two cables into the two inputs on the Scarlett and then out through the monitors? I would be using Ableton as my DAW so not sure what to select for the input and output device. Thanks!

Yes.

The Scarlett would be the I/O device (ASIO) in Ableton, and the Output device in Windows Sound Panel or the MAC equivalent for streaming sources (YT, Spotify, etc).

There's either a switch or a knob (depends on the model) on the Scarlett that determines whether the outputs are direct from the inputs or coming from the computer (Ableton or streaming sources) or a mix of the two.

Not fully sure I understand what you want to do, but if you connect both the HX Stomp and the 4i4 I think that Ableton allows you to route the incoming signal (through USB 1&2)  from the stomp to a stereo out on the 4i4. That way you can easily connect further devices to your 4i4. If you work like this you can use the DI signal (USB 5/6 on the HX stomp ??), run that through an AmpSim in Ableton and combine it in your Ableton mix.  

Alternatively you can connect the HX Stomp via line inputs 3 and 4 on the 4i4 and use direct monitoring to listen to the stomp. You can blend in whatever is coming from Ableton if so desired.  This doesn't allow you to blend the HX Stomp with an AmpSim though because you will need to connect your guitar to an input on the 4i4.

43 minutes ago, Hillman1312 said:

Not fully sure I understand what you want to do, but if you connect both the HX Stomp and the 4i4 I think that Ableton allows you to route the incoming signal (through USB 1&2)  from the stomp to a stereo out on the 4i4. That way you can easily connect further devices to your 4i4. If you work like this you can use the DI signal (USB 5/6 on the HX stomp ??), run that through an AmpSim in Ableton and combine it in your Ableton mix.  

Alternatively you can connect the HX Stomp via line inputs 3 and 4 on the 4i4 and use direct monitoring to listen to the stomp. You can blend in whatever is coming from Ableton if so desired.  This doesn't allow you to blend the HX Stomp with an AmpSim though because you will need to connect your guitar to an input on the 4i4.

Unless you've got a MAC and you've set up an aggregate device (I've read mixed reviews), the ASIO driver in Ableton on Windows set to the Scarlett will take the Inputs from the Scarlett, pass it to the DAW/amp sim, and send the output to the Scarlett Outputs. It doesn't even see the Helix unless Helix is selected as ASIO, in which case it doesn't see the Scarlett. Either or, but not both.

Yes, there's ASIO4ALL. Good Luck.

To use an amp sim with HXS and Scarlett you just put the HXS into Bypass Mode. That sends an unprocessed signal straight from the HXS Input to the Outputs and on to the Scarlett and the amp sim. Turn the knob (switch?) on the Scarlett to Playback so you don't hear the direct signal from the HXS.

Or, instead of Bypass Mode you can create a simple HXS preset w/o amp/cab, just FX, to go in front of the amp sim. Best of both worlds.