Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I'm Completely Frustrated...Please Help!!!!!!

amgamg

First....I've always liked Line6 products...I've been a user since the XT. Yet now....and especially having gone through so many post I ask for assistance.

1. Everytime I update.....the update always works! I was hoping to be more like the crowd and "Brick" my Stomp and HX/FX...no luck....What am I doing wrong?

2. Somehow over the years I've been misled to believe that free was good. I thought adding free stuff to my gear all these years was somehow enhancing my Line6 experience ...I've even felt happy about it.

3. About those free updates....For some reason I've always waited patiently and simply explored some of the models I haven't used much. I didn't know I was suppose to rant till I wet my underpants! Gosh...I coulda had a V8...or a Fractal...or a Boss...or a Zoom. Please Line6 some of us dont know when to become unreasonaly upset.

Anyway....Somehow I  managed and still have to insist your products and updates just work for me....btw...I wasnt sure about the Orange amp...but I use it a lot and the Retro Reel is very usable,  it adds a nice sense of movement I enjoy.

While I have no need to be a pest...you have so many users who can program a Space Shuttle and not update a Helix to contend with...Just saying keep up the good work and with any luck others will find your products as good as I have. See Ya (;0) 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, amgamg said:

Ya know what else? All my other Line6 gear still works! All of it! BahWahHaWahHahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (interwebs evil laughing) ;0)

I have noticed that every time after installing the latest new firmware, for some reason my Helix sounds absolutely hideous - there is a persistent and awfully irritating dull low droning background noise that sometimes turns into shrill whining noise, but it seems to only occur for short time just after every update. 

Oh... now I realise that actually it is not my Helix - it’s just the distant sound people who did the update incorrectly, moaning and groaning that the update has “bricked” their Helix, or HX Native doesn’t run correctly on their Big Sur M1. 

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

Oh... now I realise that actually it is not my Helix - it’s just the distant sound people who did the update incorrectly, moaning and groaning that the update has “bricked” their Helix, or HX Native doesn’t run correctly on their Big Sur M1. 

I really feel for you guys. I tend to read these post to be aware of the updates. Sometimes I might find something that others are going thru that could be helpful to me. You never know! Honestly...the toughest update after all these years IMO was the M13. Lots of steps and instructions...even some tools. Sure some folks may need some help from time to time. There's only two things I've ever done. I've always looked over the instructions completely. Even if I sometimes thought things looked easy. The second thing is I've kept my computer tidy and discarded all kinds of old useless update material. Sometimes computers might grab the wrong info if its available. Best to all...meant no harm....but gosh...some of you do make me laugh.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, amgamg said:

I tend to read these post to be aware of the updates.

That’s good to know - if only others would fully read the release notes, owner’s manuals and previous posts before opening yet another thread where they squawk like there is a fox in the hen house “update bricked my Helix” and “I now have a $1000 paperweight”. Surprisingly, possibly through embarrassment, very few come back to explain what actually went wrong and how it got fixed.

I tend to try to be as helpful as possible when English isn’t the first language of the poster. Although frankly, after this last debacle, that was supposed to make updates easier - I might just retreat to get on with my life and let them figure it out. It really has stopped being amusing and started to become tedious now.

Post Traumatic Stupidity Disorder.
;-)

• Like 1

You know, this is going to bite one of on the ar5e...

Joking aside, my FIRST update to my Helix fell over. For some reason, my PC rebooted in the middle of the process -  it looked like it would be a lengthy process, so went for a smoke, came back... this was 5 minutes in to the very first time I'd even switched the Helix on. Got a boot failure of some kind... I just thought 'F*** it, if THIS doesn't work, it goes back.'

Restarted L6 Updater, it was recognised, reinstalled the update. All good.

The threads are useful, if for no other reason than to remind me to not get blase and follow the instructions.

• Like 1

Can't believe I wasted my time clicking on this post.. but seeing as I'm here, as amusing as it is to see people mocking those who have had trouble updating their Helix, I can categorically state that there have been genuine issues with that. I've done some that went through perfectly and some that took multiple efforts, the easy ones have been the recent ones, but I still maintain it is to do with some usb cables in the Helix. If it's ever been on the software side we'll probably never know but all the other variables made it a bit hit and miss.

I know some people just don't read the steps properly and that's their fault, but it's not really accurate to suggest all of the problems with updating are due to that.

For anyone still getting this issue I would recommend buying a few USB cables and trying them all until you get something reliable.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paulzx said:

I know some people just don't read the steps properly and that's their fault, but it's not really accurate to suggest all of the problems with updating are due to that.

All? No. A solid majority? You bet your a$$. It happens with every single update, usually within minutes of the release, and they accelerate straight to b1tching and moaning  in here when the solution to their "problem" was writ large in bold type, if only they had bothered to look. If I had a nickel for every "I updated to "firmware X", but I cant find all the new $hit in HX Edit. WTF?!?!?!.!", I wouldn't need to work...

For anyone still getting this issue I would recommend buying a few USB cables and trying them all until you get something reliable.

I'm also very skeptical of blaming USB cables. It's a digital connection... the 1's and 0's either arrive at their destination or they don't, and I don't see how there can be anything particularly magical about one cable over another. It seems far more likely to me that it's an issue with the computer that's directing the traffic, or perhaps dodgy WIFI. I honestly have no idea if the update process downloads the firmware onto one's computer in it's entirety before dumping it into Helix, or if it's merely a conduit passing it straight through.... but if it's the latter, then crappy WIFI and/or slow download speeds could certainly explain failed updates.  

All I know is I've updated numerous times over the last 4+ years, and I've yet to have an issue... and I've even done so through the much maligned USB hub, still without problems. So am I just lucky, or are my USB cables bulletproof?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I can tell you honestly...In terms of USB cable I've always used what ever one was laying around, typically one of the ones  from Line6.

In as much as mocking people with problems.....I find that strange and I'll tell you why. I dont fault anyone who has a question and needs an answer, comes here and gets that answer. Even if you didnt read your owners manual or update instructions. Please answer my question.....thanks for the answer...done is done. What prompted this post and what I do mock is the following...and I've read plenty like this. Hey line6 you clearly screwed up the update  cause my machine is messed up and I blame you. The Best part.....I'm a genius programmer and could most likey build my own Helix ..but I allow Line6 to do so on my behalf. Of course no matter what the suggestion is...the suggestion is treated as if the person taking the time to help is blowing smoke up your skirt. I'm no expert....but does it hurt to know your computer is functioning properly before you update. Chances are most people just let things go until they have a problem...to late. What does any of this matter to me? After reading so much of this stuff and I think morale among some who answer the questions has become stressed....I wanted in my own silly way to let those who help others here and those who create these products have done a great job. Some of you simply embarrass yourselves. OK...group hug...or not!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, amgamg said:

I can tell you honestly...In terms of USB cable I've always used what ever one was laying around, typically one of the ones  from Line6.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've never actually purchased a USB cable... for f#$@'s sake, they come with everything from shoelaces to hamster wheels, lol... I have a bin full of them. Nor can I can recall an instance where a USB cable that stays in one place and remains more or less stationary, actually stopped working. Thin ones that get used with mobile devices will eventually succumb to the physical wear and tear of frequent manipulation... but even with those you still have to put the time in to destroy them, lol... and pardon the pun, but left to their own devices, they're just not that fragile.

I dunno, maybe it's me.

1 hour ago, amgamg said:

In as much as mocking people with problems.....I find that strange and I'll tell you why. I dont fault anyone who has a question and needs an answer, comes here and gets that answer. Even if you didnt read your owners manual or update instructions. Please answer my question.....thanks for the answer...done is done.

The mocking is really just the result of the same friggin' question being asked for the Nth time... in retrospect though, this hardly surprising. Anyone who can't be bothered to read the update instructions is unlikely to peruse the forums for their answer prior to engaging in a Whine Fest... even though it wouldn't take any longer to find the answer here, 

in any of the 7218 similar threads, than it would to have read the instructions in the first place... but I digress. ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

All? No. A solid majority? You bet your a$$. It happens with every single update, usually within minutes of the release, and they accelerate straight to b1tching and moaning  in here when the solution to their "problem" was writ large in bold type, if only they had bothered to look. If I had a nickel for every "I updated to "firmware X", but I cant find all the new $hit in HX Edit. WTF?!?!?!.!", I wouldn't need to work...

I'm also very skeptical of blaming USB cables. It's a digital connection... the 1's and 0's either arrive at their destination or they don't, and I don't see how there can be anything particularly magical about one cable over another. It seems far more likely to me that it's an issue with the computer that's directing the traffic, or perhaps dodgy WIFI. I honestly have no idea if the update process downloads the firmware onto one's computer in it's entirety before dumping it into Helix, or if it's merely a conduit passing it straight through.... but if it's the latter, then crappy WIFI and/or slow download speeds could certainly explain failed updates.  

All I know is I've updated numerous times over the last 4+ years, and I've yet to have an issue... and I've even done so through the much maligned USB hub, still without problems. So am I just lucky, or are my USB cables bulletproof?

I still think that's a bit harsh, you might be right it might be the majority I don't know but I was having difficulty with it on and off some time ago and I was definitely following instructions properly and there were times when I had to run the update 5 or 6 times to get it to go through so, doing the same thing each time, so when it does work, you knew it wasn't you, it was some other variable. I was a bit suspicious about the USB port on the Helix for a while because even HX edit would lose connection quite often outside of updating, until one day I bought home a handful of USB cables from work and tried them all. One in particular worked straight away and has never lost connection on the editor or update since, so we may never truly know why it happens but that worked for me at least.

I'm not criticising anyone here, I'm just saying there has for some, been a genuine issue.

In fairness, we are dealing with guitarists here. In my experience, the vast majority are one step up from a drummer - this technology has been around since the 80s and it's taken 30+ years for most to dare to dip their toe in the water. A lot still think a Fender Jaguar is too complex.

If that wasn't bad enough, most of 'em are 'the entitled generation' where they expect everything done for them, and have a nervous breakdown at the drop of a hat.

I bought a Danelectro from a kid who'd just left university, a couple of years ago. Advertised as having a chip in the neck, electrical problems and tuning issues. I got it for peanuts. The jack nut needed tightening, there was a tiny crack in the lacquer near the 12th fret end, the strings weren't fitted properly. It was otherwise, pristine.

This prick had just left UNIVERSITY FFS. People like him DESERVE to be mocked.

I'm middle aged and 'severely sight impaired'. When I screw up, I'll hold my hands up, and take the ridicule.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, somebodyelse said:

In fairness, we are dealing with guitarists here. In my experience, the vast majority are one step up from a drummer - this technology has been around since the 80s and it's taken 30+ years for most to dare to dip their toe in the water. A lot still think a Fender Jaguar is too complex.

If that wasn't bad enough, most of 'em are 'the entitled generation' where they expect everything done for them, and have a nervous breakdown at the drop of a hat.

I bought a Danelectro from a kid who'd just left university, a couple of years ago. Advertised as having a chip in the neck, electrical problems and tuning issues. I got it for peanuts. The jack nut needed tightening, there was a tiny crack in the lacquer near the 12th fret end, the strings weren't fitted properly. It was otherwise, pristine.

This prick had just left UNIVERSITY FFS. People like him DESERVE to be mocked.

I'm middle aged and 'severely sight impaired'. When I screw up, I'll hold my hands up, and take the ridicule.

Amen!

• Like 1