Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Auto start update process issue...

themetallikid

I have no issue updating my helix manually...,but when trying to do it via HX Edit...it seems to stall.  I get notified...click update now, and it changes to downloading....but then I get:

"failed to download firmware update file.

Please check yoru internet connection and try again.

Unknown error

I've tried restart of laptop/helix/new usb port....nothing changes this...obviously using same laptop sending this message I AM connected....and I can update manually the old way...

Any ideas what kills this?

18 hours ago, themetallikid said:

I have no issue updating my helix manually...,but when trying to do it via HX Edit...it seems to stall.  I get notified...click update now, and it changes to downloading....but then I get:

"failed to download firmware update file.

Please check yoru internet connection and try again.

Unknown error

I've tried restart of laptop/helix/new usb port....nothing changes this...obviously using same laptop sending this message I AM connected....and I can update manually the old way...

Any ideas what kills this?

My first thought would be a spotty internet connection. If so then downloading the firmware file manually and using the Line6 Updater probably is the best method for you to do an update. Do you have an antivirus/firewall program running?  If so it might be worth disabling it for the duration of the update and seeing if it can successfully download the file. I hate that momentary security lapse but sometimes it is the only way to find out if that is the source of the problem. The only other thing that occurs to me is if somehow it can't overwrite the file from a previously interrupted download.  That seems farfetched though and it has been a while since i have seen an install fail from permissions problems in any software; at least consumer based.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I dont have any sort of spotty internet.  Been in my place for almost a year and router is maybe 20 feet behind me (in direct sight).  I dont get the speeds they advertise (do we ever?) being in an apartment building...but the last update (3.1) had the same issue.  I'm able to stream on devices and use phone wifi no issues.  If it was starting the download and then dropping the connection I could see that being an issue, but from speed tests I've done before, I'm getting 30mbs roughly download.  

The only firewall I have is what is in windows...I can try turning that off and retrying the download and see what happens. 

On 5/3/2021 at 7:58 AM, themetallikid said:

...  If it was starting the download and then dropping the connection I could see that being an issue, but from speed tests I've done before, I'm getting 30mbs roughly download.  

The only firewall I have is what is in windows...I can try turning that off and retrying the download and see what happens. 

A lot of those internet speed tests tell you your average speed but don't indicate if there were significant lapses in connectivity.  So the average speed can test ok but if the app, e.g. HX Edit, has a shorter timeout setting than the duration of your internet connectivity lapses the download can still fail.

Definitely try disabling your firewall and antivirus for the duration of the update as this is one of the common causes of downloads failing.

2 hours ago, themetallikid said:

i dont have any issues downloading anything else.  They download right away without having to click any sort of extra pop up boxes or permission boxes.  IDK, weird.  

I have seen this happen sometimes when something gets stuck in a browser's cache but that should not apply here.  I would also check and make sure my hard drive wasn't full or close to it.  If you have not already I would uninstall HX Edit and reinstall. Btw, what version of HX Edit and the firmware are you currently on? A question we probably should have asked right off the bat. Go ahead and download and install HX Edit 3.10 if you have not already.

Seems like we have touched on most of the usual causes for file downloads failing - security settings & permissions, antivirus/firewall, disk full, incorrect software, problems with cache memory, computer requires reboot, etc.. A freakin' mystery. Please let us know if you get it figured out.

I got exactly the same error message when trying to update my LT last night. Tried it 2 or 3 times and the same thing occured.

After about 20 minutes I tried again and it went through the update seamlessly.

I wondered if there was something wrong with the Line 6 servers for a while?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NickM62 said:

I got exactly the same error message when trying to update my LT last night. Tried it 2 or 3 times and the same thing occured.

After about 20 minutes I tried again and it went through the update seamlessly.

I wondered if there was something wrong with the Line 6 servers for a while?

If this was indeed the cause then users like the OP who experienced this should just give it another go and unless they have the incredibly bad luck to hit the same server issue again, one that most of us have not encountered, the update should be successful. If this turns out to be a problem on the server side it would have been nice to see a heads up from Line6 on TGP - and on the Line6 forum(cracked myself up there).  To be fair though, rather than this being caused  by an issue with Line6's servers it might have been a problem somewhere in the hops between the user's ISP and the Line6 servers rather than a problem on the servers themselves.

I had a problem updating Helix.

Line 6 needs to add a line of code that allow the automatic process to READ what version of HX edit the user currently has. 

Then automatically download and install it prior to then install the firmware.

I went through the initial process and the screen showed the message that the firmware was getting installed and to wait...

Nothing happened and no other message appeared for a long time.

That's when I had to force the program to close.

I then realize that this happened because of HX Edit needing updating first.

3 hours ago, line-6-user said:

Line 6 needs to add a line of code that allow the automatic process to READ what version of HX edit the user currently has. 

Then automatically download and install it prior to then install the firmware.

I then realize that this happened because of HX Edit needing updating first.

The situation you describe could happen pre-v3.01 but is now fixed.

The ‘line of code’ you ask for is already there. As of HX Edit v3.01, HX Edit recognizes when an update exists and informs the user. Timing of the update the user’s choice - not automatic - as it should be. Sometimes people just don’t want to update right away.

The automatic update does install HX Edit first. If this didn’t happen it means you were not updating via HX Edit v3.01 or later, as specified in all the release notes. This should not happen again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, silverhead said:

The situation you describe could happen pre-v3.01 but is now fixed.

The ‘line of code’ you ask for is already there. As of HX Edit v3.01, HX Edit recognizes when an update exists and informs the user. Timing of the update the user’s choice - not automatic - as it should be. Sometimes people just don’t want to update right away.

The automatic update does install HX Edit first. If this didn’t happen it means you were not updating via HX Edit v3.01 or later, as specified in all the release notes. This should not happen again.

Sorry bu you are wrong.  I did have HX Edit 3.01 installed. The process did notify me of a new firmware for Helix and it failed to upgrade, until I first, manually installed HX Edit 3.10.  

Then it went all smoothly.

5 minutes ago, line-6-user said:

Sorry bu you are wrong.  I did have HX Edit 3.01 installed. The process did notify me of a new firmware for Helix and it failed to upgrade, until I first, manually installed HX Edit 3.10.  

Then it went all smoothly.

That means something went wrong in your environment - that's not what should have happened with HX Edit v3.01. It should have guided you through the installation of HX Edit v3.10 first. Perhaps you should open a support ticket and describe what happened to Line 6 tech support. They may be able to use that info to track down a bug.

23 minutes ago, silverhead said:

That means something went wrong in your environment - that's not what should have happened with HX Edit v3.01. It should have guided you through the installation of HX Edit v3.10 first. Perhaps you should open a support ticket and describe what happened to Line 6 tech support. They may be able to use that info to track down a bug.

A bit late now.

I took precautions before installing the upgrade, by closing all applications, removed the wireless mouse, and I had only the one USB needed for the firmware connected to the system. Windows runs great and all drivers are updated to the latest versions.

Maybe the next time, if I remember, I film the process, and of course it will go smoothly. :D)

• Haha 1