Jump to content
karlkaminski

Native plugins Logic proX

Recommended Posts

HI guys, just updated to 3.10 across HXEdit/HXS/HXNative. The native plugins (default) presets aren't the same as the HXS Presets (order/name/etc) So few questions:

1. How do I get my HXNative to match my HXS settings?

2. Can I use HXEdit with HXNative to edit can create presets? (instead of doing in the DAW)

 

thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, karlkaminski said:

HI guys, just updated to 3.10 across HXEdit/HXS/HXNative. The native plugins (default) presets aren't the same as the HXS Presets (order/name/etc) So few questions:

1. How do I get my HXNative to match my HXS settings?

2. Can I use HXEdit with HXNative to edit can create presets? (instead of doing in the DAW)

 

thanks

 


Hi,

 

The answers to both your questions, and much more are in the Helix Native Pilot’s Guide. Read, study, and inwardly digest.

 

It’s free - and built into HX Native - simply click on the Question Mark Icon in the lower left corner of plug-in window, between the Gear Icon and your Account Status. 
 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well obviously (ya can't sit down to dinner if ya don't know where the table's at) LOL

 

thanks for showing me where the info is hidden. (I just got Native. It seemed like stomp and edit info was more readily found)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, karlkaminski said:

thanks for showing me where the info is hidden.


Well, I suppose you could regard that “built in” guide as “hidden”.

 

Although, the owner/user manuals aren’t a secret and are all available to download. Click on “Support” in the menu at the top of this page and on the next page is a link to Manuals, for all Line 6 products.

 

The dinner table is easy to find - great big thing in the middle of the room, that I keep stubbing my toe on.

 

;-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, im old ...and calling the manual 'pilot guide' is annoying AF. It quickly dawned on me DAH...

anyway YES the Pilots Guide is what I needed. (now I have all my HXfamily pilot guides neatly bookmarked)

 

for those interested (like me, a noob to plugins) , the Presets will look like Helix Floor, a switch to HXS compatibility mode Pg13/ Preset Panel Pg20 will show your plugins as if they are in your HXS (which has its own caveats—*to be found in the manual). I think Im going to leave it in Default HC mode and just Import my HXS presets as a USER bank.  (hope someone will show me the error of my ways — if need be)  ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, karlkaminski said:

yeah, im old ...and calling the manual 'pilot guide' is annoying AF. It quickly dawned on me DAH...

anyway YES the Pilots Guide is what I needed. (now I have all my HXfamily pilot guides neatly bookmarked)

 

for those interested (like me, a noob to plugins) , the Presets will look like Helix Floor, a switch to HXS compatibility mode Pg13 will show your plugins as if they are in your HXS (which has its own caveats—*to be found in the manual). I think Im going to leave it in Default HC mode and just Import my HXS presets as a USER bank.  (hope someone will show me the error of my ways — if need be)  ;)


Hi,

 

As you are a HX Stomp owner, you can indeed simply import your presets to Native, and they will only use a single path.

 

The whole point of owning HX Native, (especially if you bough it with a discount), is that you have processing power of a full Helix Floor/Rack inside your DAW, and you can create presets that take advantage of the second path. 

 

Don’t limit yourself while using Native. Sure, you wouldn’t be able to load the dual path presets back into your Stomp. Better make single path patches for the Stomp using HX Edit and full blown muscle presets in Native. Remember, your Stomp can get a Dry unprocessed audio signal from your guitar and play it back through Native using slll the effects you want. You can also have as many instances of Native open simultaneously as your computer can handle.


Oh, yeah, I’m also old - a retired greybeard.

 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely see what your saying. And the ability to have a full HX running on any track is a great advantage.

 

I guess (as im getting use to Native) Im getting bogged down in the 'workflow' along with how to properly manage presets. My use is mainly using the HXS as a fly/gig rig so I'd like to have ready-access to my 'known' and custom presets. it would be nice to have them always updated and imported into Native for DAW use— along side of the full Native 'Smörgåsbord' for my disposal.

 

I imagine HXEdit as a 'hub' or middle man between HXS and HXNative. so anything I update on a live gig would get sent to HXEdit and passed to HXNative either *automatically or in an (weekly/monthly) update session. Is this a plausible scenearo?

 

long story short I guess im looking to keep everything setup for a continuity between 'workspaces' and I'll need to figure out the best /logical workflow solution. (though with gear sometimes what's  'logical' or a necessity for me doesn't always follow the tech paradigm. But im learning! lol 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, karlkaminski said:

I definitely see what your saying. And the ability to have a full HX running on any track is a great advantage.

 

I guess (as im getting use to Native) Im getting bogged down in the 'workflow' along with how to properly manage presets. My use is mainly using the HXS as a fly/gig rig so I'd like to have ready-access to my 'known' and custom presets. it would be nice to have them always updated and imported into Native for DAW use— along side of the full Native 'Smörgåsbord' for my disposal.

 

I imagine HXEdit as a 'hub' or middle man between HXS and HXNative. so anything I update on a live gig would get sent to HXEdit and passed to HXNative either *automatically or in an (weekly/monthly) update session. Is this a plausible scenearo?

 

long story short I guess im looking to keep everything setup for a continuity between 'workspaces' and I'll need to figure out the best /logical workflow solution. (though with gear sometimes what's  'logical' or a necessity for me doesn't always follow the tech paradigm. But im learning! lol 

 


Hi,

 

O.K. Let’s take it one step at a time.

 

You will be mainly using your HX Stomp as a fly rig for gigging - no problem.
 

You obviously have a whole bunch of presets in there that you are familiar with, know and love. That’s good, and using HX Edit, you are able to manipulate those to exactly how you want them to sound. You can save all your presets, setlists etc., to a folder on your Mac, most likely there is one already inside the “Documents” folder in the side bar of your Mac, named “Line 6”.

 

The best thing to do is to create another folder inside that one, named “Native Only”, which you can use to contain any duplicates of your Stomp presets you want to load into Native and modify. You can load those presets into Native as is, and they will function and sound exactly as they do in the hardware Stomp. Unless you modify them and save them back out from Native they will remain unchanged. That way, by keeping your fly rig/live presets separate you are always good to go and you have “fail safe” backups on your Mac. 

 

HX Edit is an editor/librarian application which basically reflects what changes you make on your Stomp hardware. There is absolutely no automation in HX Edit, you manage what is saved and updated. You need to save those files on your Mac in case of any mishap with the Stomp. Whereas, essentially, Helix Native is the software brain of the Helix Hardware and HX Edit combined in the DAW plugin. Therefore your scenario is totally implausible. 

 

As long as you keep a safety copy of the presets you might need in your hardware unit, you should be able to chop and change and create monster presets inside Native. Just remember- always work on a copy.

 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Edited by datacommando
Amendment
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an interesting topic to me. Since I'm not gigging live any these days, my Stomp is confined to my basement studio. I play my guitar through the Stomp, edit my presets using HX Edit, and keep my presets in a folder. All is good. When I record guitar tracks, I monitor my DAW tracks along with the "live" Stomp output. I keep a dry track for the guitar, then use a duplicate preset in Native, and tweak it a little if needed depending on the needs of the song.

 

So, @datacommando, your method seems to fit my workflow. What I'm wondering, though, is it possible to "sync" the Stomp and Native presets (and IRs) so I always work with one master setlist of presets/IRs. Those would be created and maintained with Stomp/HX Edit. Ideally, Native would use this same master set. If I wanted to edit a preset for a Logic Project, I would make those edits and only save them with the project; they would not be saved/rewrite the master preset. For now, I feel like I have to do a lot of manual setlist building in Native to get all the presets/IRs to match exactly what I have on the Stomp.  (I have Hardware Compatibility set to "Stomp" in Native.)

 

As you say "hope this makes sense"! If you have any other Stomp - Native/Logic workflows you've settled on, I'd love to hear about them...

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, soundog said:

If I wanted to edit a preset for a Logic Project, I would make those edits and only save them with the project; they would not be saved/rewrite the master preset. For now, I feel like I have to do a lot of manual setlist building in Native to get all the presets/IRs to match exactly what I have on the Stomp.  (I have Hardware Compatibility set to "Stomp" in Native.)

 

 

 

yes Soundog, well put/asked. this is what I was hoping to find 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, soundog said:

What I'm wondering, though, is it possible to "sync" the Stomp and Native presets (and IRs) so I always work with one master setlist of presets/IRs. Those would be created and maintained with Stomp/HX Edit.


Hi,

 

Mmm... I don’t really think that it’s feasible to “sync” Native and the HX Stomp preset management. As you know HX Edit is simply a remote editor application for the hardware, it’s essentially a “dumb terminal”. I will dig a little deeper, but that would be my initial response, even though it’s now late at night and I’ve had a couple of beers.

 

The main difference for me is that, as a Helix Floor owner, the single/dual path thing isn’t really an issue for me, but I still prefer to keep the Native and Floor presets in separate folders - (the IR files are common to both and live in a library folder just for Impulse Response files). I would be even more cautious when working with Native if compatibility mode is turned off, (if it can go wrong it will). Also, the downside of turning on compatibility mode is it cripples Native by approx. 50%. If I had a Stomp/Native combo, I would like to be able to capture the dry guitar signal, but really let rip on the dual path stuff in the plugin.

 

YMMV.


Hope this helps/makes sense (as always).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, makes sense and also helps. I just wish that Native could sync to the Stomp. When I tried to match Native to my Stomp (preset order, IR slot numbers, etc) it was a royal pain; lots of manual work. I was hoping I could just import the Stomps backup file into Native in one swoop. No such luck. Looks there's no easy path, @karlkaminski .... just some manual labor.

 

I'll look on Ideascale and see if anyone has requested some sort of hardware-to-Native synch or import.

 

UPDATE. There are at least 4 separate idea requests on Ideascale along the same lines. Here they are, with the two on top being the most relevant. Vote if ya want!

 

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Ability-to-Restore-Native-from-HX-Edit-Backup/918622-23508

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Sync-Function-between-Helix-Hardware-HX-Edit-Helix-Native/918019-23508

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Helix-Floor-Helix-Native-Sync/990695-23508

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Complete-backup-of-setlist-AND-impulse-responses/967237-23508

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, soundog said:

Vote if ya want!


Done x4.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...