Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Variax Cabled Power Kit

EDIT . . .

OK, so I found one on ebay. But it's different from the one I had.

It has a 1/4" and an XLR input.

Looks nearly identical. But the one I had, had an XLR button

and a 1/4" buttton for toggling between them so I could go from

my amp to the PA for acoustic models.

The one I found only has the power button on the right side. Not the

2 A/B buttons on the left.

Anyone know how you go between the amp and PA/XLR to 1/4"?

Anyone know why I cannot find a Line 6 Variax Cabled Power Kit anywhere?

Most sites don't even list them anymore. Some list them as

unavailable.

Edited by thenettrainer
UPDATED

1 hour ago, thenettrainer said:

Anyone know why I cannot find a Line 6 Variax Cabled Power Kit anywhere?

Most sites don't even list them anymore. Some list them as

unavailable.

Because it's old... originally designed for Variax models that predated current lineup (which itself is more than a decade old now) by a number of years, long before there were other L6 compatible devices that could supply power to the guitars (POD, Helix, etc). While it may not be officially "discontinued", there's no guarantee that production runs are frequent and/or done in large quantities anymore.

Makes no sense to me . . . For those like me who don't like guitar processors and prefers pedals . . .  Plug guitar into the unit. Run 1/4" out into amp. XLR out to PA. Guitars run through the amp. Acoustics and Reso instruments run through PA just stepping on the A/B switch. PLUS NO BATTERY NEEDED.

Variax is still selling today. Even have a new model. Why on earth would they not still offer a small unit for those who do not choose, or maybe even cannot afford an expensive processor?

And if they DID drop it, why not offer an upgraded model? Line6 dropped the ball on this!!!

One small unit. Power supply, 1/4" and XLR out and an A/B switch. And they stop offering it!?!

Yet another reason I literally hate Line6. The company, not the products. Ever try to get in touch with anyone there? The site is unbearably loaded with hoops to go through just to even try to get an answer from anyone.  That's why I tried the forum tonight.

I'm 72. Old enough to remember when real people handled customer support.

If line 6 has indeed stopped making/selling them, can't they release the schematics, so that they can be built by private technicians?

I wonder what's like inside the box and what components are used.

Or is there issues with the product?  Not longer compatible with some equipment within line 6 or/and external companies?

5 hours ago, thenettrainer said:

Makes no sense to me . . . For those like me who don't like guitar processors and prefers pedals . . .  Plug guitar into the unit. Run 1/4" out into amp. XLR out to PA. Guitars run through the amp. Acoustics and Reso instruments run through PA just stepping on the A/B switch. PLUS NO BATTERY NEEDED.

Variax is still selling today. Even have a new model. Why on earth would they not still offer a small unit for those who do not choose, or maybe even cannot afford an expensive processor?

And if they DID drop it, why not offer an upgraded model? Line6 dropped the ball on this!!!

One small unit. Power supply, 1/4" and XLR out and an A/B switch. And they stop offering it!?!

Yet another reason I literally hate Line6. The company, not the products. Ever try to get in touch with anyone there? The site is unbearably loaded with hoops to go through just to even try to get an answer from anyone.  That's why I tried the forum tonight.

I'm 72. Old enough to remember when real people handled customer support.

Well whether it makes sense or not, this is how the world works now. Ours is a disposable economy, and long gone are the days when the same gadget is produced forever.

Plus, in this particular case, they have little incentive to keep cranking those things out in any quantity because the simple fact is that the majority of those who are going to buy a modeling guitar are also going to be using some sort of amp modeling. Most likely another Line 6 product that will not only supply power to a Variax, but allow footswitch control of it's various features... product integration and selling you multiple devices (and preferably ones that are much more expensive than a power kit) is the business model.

I'm not saying you don't have a legitimate gripe... but stomp box/real amp guys just aren't the Variax target demographic.

OK, so I found one on ebay. But it's different from the one I had.

It has a 1/4" and an XLR input.

Looks nearly identical. But the one I had, had an XLR button

and a 1/4" buttton for toggling between them so I could go from

my amp to the PA for acoustic models.

The one I found only has the power button on the right side. Not the

2 A/B buttons on the left.

Anyone know how you go between the amp and PA/XLR to 1/4"?