Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Seeking advice for recording My Helix Floor unit

bobdobbs

My Current setup is as follows:

Guitar>Helix Floor>Spdif>Focusrite Scarlett 18i20>Stereo Power amp> (2) 12" guitar speaker cabinets.

I love this setup, sounds great (live in the room), although I can only use amp models without cabs because I am running them into a real guitar cabinet (Unless please if you have any suggestions).

So Live it sounds great, but the recordings sound like Im going direct into a recording console. Which would be great in certain circumstances, but not all the time. What do you fine people suggest I do to get an accurate cabinet sound on my recordings? Do I need to re-amp? Is there some trickery with IRs that i need to Implement?

2 things id like to avoid:

1. I dont want to have to throw money at the problem by buying some FRFR speaker set up.
  2. I would like to keep the same signal path as stated above. I know that i could go and buy 2 microphones, mic my cabs, and send that signal to the focusrite. but that would be throwing money at the problem and i'm already maxed out on inputs in my interface. I find that the Spdif out on the helix is an amazing thing. 

There are a number of IR Loaders out there. You put it on your track and audition IRs until you find one that matches (more likely comes close) to your cabinet sound.

Some suggestions:

Two Notes Wall of Sound (WOS)

Lancaster Pulse

STL NadIR

3Sigma Impulsive

Redwirez MixIR3

There's many others.

Oh, I left out - on Helix itself, take a split at the end of the signal chain and place your IRs there, then take the Output of that split set to a USB other than 1/2 as your recording source.

14 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Oh, I left out - on Helix itself, take a split at the end of the signal chain and place your IRs there, then take the Output of that split set to a USB other than 1/2 as your recording source.

Thanks!

Im using Adobe audition as My DAW I have to figure out how to get an IR into it.

can you further explain how what i quoted you on would work? Will i still be using this signal chain? I'm currently not using the USB out

Guitar>Helix Floor>Spdif>Focusrite Scarlett 18i20>Stereo Power amp> (2) 12" guitar speaker cabinets.

If you want to send a stereo signal to the DAW, either use the DUAL CAB or an IR Loader in the DAW as mentioned in my first reply

We're all hoping for a stereo IR Block in a future update....

And now that I've had my coffee, I also notice that you're using the SPDIF connectors.

If you use the cabs/IRs in the Helix, you'll still need to split the signal chain, but instead of sending to XLR, send to the digital out.

If you decide to use IRs in the DAW, no need to split the chain, just use MULTI out and select the SPDIF Inputs in your DAW.

You probably figured that out already, but just thought I'd mention it to avoid confusion.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

And now that I've had my coffee, I also notice that you're using the SPDIF connectors.

If you use the cabs/IRs in the Helix, you'll still need to split the signal chain, but instead of sending to XLR, send to the digital out.

If you decide to use IRs in the DAW, no need to split the chain, just use MULTI out and select the SPDIF Inputs in your DAW.

You probably figured that out already, but just thought I'd mention it to avoid confusion.

I think that's it! Now I gotta figure out how to do it, and do it for all of my presets, Maybe i should create a template. Still not sure if Adobe audition can implement IR's so ill try and do it within the Helix first. If i mess it ill be back otherwise thanks!

Anyone else using a power amp and guitar cabinets with their Helix? Its Pretty awesome, I can get some really great loud clean Jerry garcia tones with it.

Just to be crystal clear on this, although you can split your signal and send the signal without the cabs/IRs to your amp and physical cabinet and the one with the Helix cabs/IRs to the DAW, there will very likely be differences in what you're hearing from your physical cabinet and the Helix cabs/IRs simply due to the fact the Helix cabs are modeling the sound based on the mic models and how they were placed.  Just wanted to make sure you understood that.

1 minute ago, DunedinDragon said:

Just to be crystal clear on this, although you can split your signal and send the signal without the cabs/IRs to your amp and physical cabinet and the one with the Helix cabs/IRs to the DAW, there will very likely be differences in what you're hearing from your physical cabinet and the Helix cabs/IRs simply due to the fact the Helix cabs are modeling the sound based on the mic models and how they were placed.  Just wanted to make sure you understood that.

TOTALLY and im aok with it. all i want is it to sound better/real and now it does.

so attached is what i did and it works like a charm. although i dont understand IR'S, they seem to behave differently that regular blocks,  I cant drag and drop a different IR to try it out i have to remove and than place a new one. is this normal? regardless Ir's are pretty cool. im going to try the stock cabs and mics as well but what i have tried sofar for the Irs that i have sound great.

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 5.09.47 PM.png

If you highlight the IR Block, in the edit pane you'll see IR Select. That allows you to substitute ant of the 128 IRs you can store in the Helix without removing and replacing the block itself.

You should probably review the Impulse Responses section of the manual.

• Upvote 3