Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

seamless transition for two inputs

Simon268

Hi

i

• connected two signals to inputs "guitar" and "aux",
  • adjusted the levels with gain blocks and
  • then wanted to have a smoot transition of the two signals (into the same signal chain in path 1A)
  • by using a merge block
  • that i assigned to EXP2 (Level A [-60dB] -> [0dB] and Level B [0 dB] -> [-60dB])-.

Unfortunately the volume drops a lot between the two 'extremes' and i suspect that the 'curve' (logarithmic, linear, ...) doesn't fit for this purpose.

Can you give me any advice on how to achieve that the level is the same regardless of the pedal position?

Simon

I would use a return before I would use an AUX for this purpose... then apply the EXP to the "mix control" on the return. That avoids the need for any splits/merge.... the EXP is only controlling a single BLEND rather than two VOLUMES. You will likely have to get a feel of the transition... but it should be very smooth. 

You should set the RETURN to instrument level in the global settings so the inputs are roughly matched. 

If you still have a volume mismatch... there is also a return level to work with on the return block. 

• Upvote 2

Oh ... that's a really good idea. Never thought of that.

Will try it.

BUT: i already use the Returns for adding external signals:

- iPad (Stereo) and

- one Samplepad with Kickdrum.

Both are last in the signal path because i don't want any effects in them. For the Kickdrum mono really would be sufficient - BUT if i only inser return 3 there, all my effects would collapse to mono, right?

Maybe you have a better solution for that too?

Bye

Simon

5 hours ago, Simon268 said:

For the Kickdrum mono really would be sufficient - BUT if i only inser return 3 there, all my effects would collapse to mono, right?

You are probably right.

Have you already exhausted the parallel path on that DSP? If not... you could place the MONO return on that path, then merge it in with your stereo path. 

Do you have the Camera Adapter for iPad/iPhone? This allows you to connect your Helix to your iPad via USB.... and the Helix will become the audio interface for the iPad. If you connect your iPad to the Helix through USB then that is how you could monitor your iPad - which would free up those returns. The only downside here is that either your iPad OR your computer can connect to the Helix via USB.... not both. Another caveat is that controlling the volume of your iPad is removed from the iPad itself.... it must be done within the Helix such as "Global > USB IN 1/2 Trim". There may be other ways to do this... that's just the quick one I found when I tested with my old iPhone and Camera kit (which worked great by the way). 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, codamedia said:

Do you have the Camera Adapter for iPad/iPhone? ....

Learning something new every day! :-O :-O :-D

I dont have a camera adapter, but it seems to be a good idea to have one anyway (i miss some connectivity on my iPad).

After thinking a little bit about it, it might be the best way for me not to waste precious 'inputs' (returns, Aux, ....) and blocks on my Helix just for inserting signals that i dont want to process or handle differently for different presets after all.

First: At a lot of my gigs i feed those signals seperately to the mixing console anyway, so the engineer can mix them seperately ...

Second: Even if i want to merge all together into a single (stereo or mono) signal small mixers are cheap, easy to use and very flexible.

Thank you very much for letting me dive deeper into the Helix.

... you have inspired me a lot!!

Simon

• Thanks 1