Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Restoring Individual Presets

patriot2006

Yes and no, apparently.

It was introduced in a recent update, but it doesn't work.

If you're asking, just in case anything goes wrong in the future, then you can export individual presetsl which I do when I write new presets.

If you've got one that's duff... at this point it looks like you'll have to rewrite it from scratch.

14 hours ago, patriot2006 said:

Is there a way to restore an individual preset from a backup?

Thanks,

Rich

As 'sombodyelse' mentioned there is the 'Extract Files From Backup' command under 'File'  in HX Edit but the presets don't import properly after the extract. Maybe someone can help you out with fixing them for import, but barring that...

If you have the individual setlist backed up it is as simple as exporting any of your current setlists, using that setlist location as a temporary placeholder, importing the setlist you want to retrieve the old presets from, and then exporting those presets. You can then import the setlist you backed up initially and restore the presets you recovered anywhere you wish.

However, if you only have a full backup and not the individual setlist backup one thing you can do is use the 'File' --> 'Restore From Backup' command to restore a single setlist or all the setlists from an old backup.  Restoring one setlist is a bit more complicated as you need to understand that it will overwrite whatever your current setlist is in exactly the same position(from 1 to 8). 

Here are the instructions for the more heavy-handed full backup and restore. You will be doing an initial full backup, restore of the backup that has the presets you want to recover, extracting the presets you want to recover, and then restoring the initial backup you made. Warning, this will be tedious as you will have to wait for all your presets to rebuild after the restore, and there is always the potential for screwing this up although it is more straightforward then it sounds.

1. Start by creating a full backup with 'Create Backup', I would also export all my setlists individually to be on the safe side.
  2. Click the 'File' --> 'Restore From Backup' command in HX Edit, select the backup you want to recover the old presets from, and run the restore.
  3. Export the presets from the setlist(s) that should now be loaded from your old backup.
  4. Use  'File' --> 'Restore From Backup' to restore the backup you made initially.
  5. Import the presets you recovered to whatever location you wish.

As I said, even if all you have is a full backup(not the old setlist) you can do this more surgically by just restoring one setlist from that backup but the instructions get more involved and more error-prone unless you are quite familiar with backups and restores.  If you have that level of familiarity with backup/restore you probably know how to go about it.

It is ironic to me to see this post come up within days of having submitted a Line6 support ticket to hopefully get the 'Extract Files From Backup' command fixed. It would be so much easier and more straightforward if that utility was working properly and would require none of these more sledgehammer restore procedures. I might be inclined to wait and see if they fix the Extract command in the near future before I undertook the above procedure unless you need those presets immediately.

Maybe if you get lucky someone will jump on here with a script they wrote themselves to extract presets from an old backup.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, patriot2006 said:

Thank you for your responses. I will keep watch on the fix for extracting individual files.

The issue only came up once and I had to re-do the preset from memory.

Well the 'Extract Files From Backup' command would at least be useful for this as you can open up the preset files it creates with any editor and at least see each block's settings. Just can't import them yet.