Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Eminence Legend 2x12 and/or Marshall 4x10 Celestion Golds

Kovie

Hi, I'm a brand new HX Stomp owner as of today and am learning my way.  I haven't played in a long time (5yr) and all the new tech is pretty incredible but my ears are also pretty stale.  One thing I was wondering about is one of my favorite old cabs to play through was an open back 2x12 with Eminence Legend speakers.  It wasn't even a "real" cab, but just some plywood in a compact box on rollers that looked maybe homemade with some fuzz covering the outside.  Anyway, the cab had a chimey character about it that I liked and I was wondering if some folks might point me toward some of the Helix cabinets (I assume they're IRs?) that might be expected to most closely mimic that kind of sound if you're familiar?  (If it matters, probably my favorite head to play through it at home was a small Blackstar).

I also used to have a 4x10 Marshall cab - closed back - that I really liked but I note the Stomp doesn't seem to have 4x10 guitar cabs except the fender tweed.  I think the speakers in the Marshall cab were maybe called Celestion Golds if that makes sense.  If you're familiar, I also appreciate any suggestions for what available HX Stomp cabs might sound most similar to that 4x10 or celestion gold speakers?

Appreciate any thoughts on cab matches for Eminence Legend 2x12 open backs (or just Eminence Legends), and the 4x10 closed back Marshall w/ Celestion Golds (I think?)

Thanks in advance - appreciated. 

18 hours ago, Kovie said:

I also used to have a 4x10 Marshall cab - closed back - that I really liked but I note the Stomp doesn't seem to have 4x10 guitar cabs except the fender tweed.  I think the speakers in the Marshall cab were maybe called Celestion Golds if that makes sense.  If you're familiar, I also appreciate any suggestions for what available HX Stomp cabs might sound most similar to that 4x10 or celestion gold speakers?

Appreciate any thoughts on cab matches for Eminence Legend 2x12 open backs (or just Eminence Legends), and the 4x10 closed back Marshall w/ Celestion Golds (I think?)

Thanks in advance - appreciated. 

I have an old 1x12 cab with a Celestion Gold that sounds great! Essentially the Celestion Gold was an alnico speaker designed to replicate the sound of the Celestion Alnico Blue speakers but with a higher wattage rating so it could be used with more powerful heads/amps without blowing.  The Alnico Blue was only rated for 15 watts so very easy to turn one into toast. That is part of the beauty of cab modeling, you can mix a 100watt or more amp with a model of a delicate and expensive speaker with no worries.

The Alnico Blue was made most famous by the Vox combo amps and cabs so any of the cab models that work well with a Vox should have some similarities such as the 2x12 Silver Bell or 2x12 Blue Bell. There are 1x12 versions there as well but I don't know if there are any 10" models or 4x12 models.  Some of the other cab models intended for Fender amps will probably also work well as they tend to have a bit of that "chime" and "bell-like" tone that the Alnico Blue(and Gold) is so famous for. Maybe give the 1x10 Princess or "4x10 Tweed P10R " a try or even the 4x12 WhoWatt100.

I would just roll through the models until you find something that is close to capturing the sound you are looking for and then start adjusting its parameters, particularly mic type and distance. Another approach is just to get IRs made with exactly the speakers/mics you prefer in your favorite cab configurations.

6 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

Essentially the Celestion Gold was an alnico speaker designed to replicate the sound of the Celestion Alnico Blue speakers but with a higher wattage rating so it could be used with more powerful heads/amps without blowing. 

Ahh.  That's interesting.  I knew the cab had a different vibe, but didn't know why or history of the speaker.  Thanks for the suggestions of cabs to try.  Appreciated.

fwiw, I was doing some searches on Eminence Legend and it sounds like in google searches they are often contrasted with v30s and greenbacks, but having a smoother character.  I'll give those type cabs a try.

• Upvote 1