Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any suggestion for Midi controller?

GodSlaYeRz

I'm interested in Midi controller to control my Helix Native in DAW. 

- Morningstar MC6 MKii + Mission Engineering Exp. pedal

- Line 6 FBV3 (Then, no need additional exp. pedal)

What do you think? Which one is the best choice?

Is the conroller and Helix for studio use, or playing out live?

For studio, between the two, I'd pick the Morningstar. You can always add a low cost expression pedal if you need to control a parameter via MIDI CC (like volume, wah, filter, etc). I prefer the flexibility, screen and form factor of the Morningstar.

If you don't need footswitches and just a MIDI studio controller, then there are lots of low cost options. Even a MIDIMix or nanokontrol will do a lot of tricks.

30 minutes ago, soundog said:

Is the conroller and Helix for studio use, or playing out live?

For studio, between the two, I'd pick the Morningstar. You can always add a low cost expression pedal if you need to control a parameter via MIDI CC (like volume, wah, filter, etc). I prefer the flexibility, screen and form factor of the Morningstar.

If you don't need footswitches and just a MIDI studio controller, then there are lots of low cost options. Even a MIDIMix or nanokontrol will do a lot of tricks.

Mainly use for studio but also need footswitches to change my snapshot and trigger other parameters in my DAW.

So, is it worth to go with FBV3? But I also heard that we cannot configure any screen or LED color on FBV3 right?

That's why you prefers Morningstar?

I think its really important to have LED indicators on foot switches so you know if they are on or off (a must!). Another important thing for me is the size and portability of the product. For me, I like to see 5-pin DIN MIDI as well as USB MIDI ports (a want, not a must). And ... can you configure the foot switchs to send either MIDI CC, program change, and (perhaps even) note on/off? That provides more flexibility with old and new equipment (and 5-pin often eliminates the need for a computer). Also look at how easy it is to configure the controller (a display? software? is the software class compliant or does it have longevity?). Dig into the reviews.

I'm not deeply familiar with either of the controllers you mention; my choice is based on a quick look of the manuals and some online reviews. Keep researching your choices and I think you'll arrive at the best choice for you.

FBV3 LED colors or configurable screens? I dunno. Ask on the other forum or read the manual?

Okay, another way of looking at it is, what have you already got?

In my case, I've already got my old Ground Control Foot Controller (Voodoolabs) which if I added a volume pedal to, would give me an expression pedal. I've also got a Nektar LX25+, which I could add an expression pedal to and write my patch changes in on the MIDI Events page - let the DAW do the changes while you concentrate on playing... or I could just map the mod wheel to act as an expression pedal, if it's something I'm adding post-recording.

If you have no MIDI controllers, then of course, buying one is necessary, but whichever direction you come from, you end up having to map something and assign things.

On 5/9/2021 at 4:35 AM, soundog said:

I think its really important to have LED indicators on foot switches so you know if they are on or off (a must!). Another important thing for me is the size and portability of the product. For me, I like to see 5-pin DIN MIDI as well as USB MIDI ports (a want, not a must). And ... can you configure the foot switchs to send either MIDI CC, program change, and (perhaps even) note on/off? That provides more flexibility with old and new equipment (and 5-pin often eliminates the need for a computer). Also look at how easy it is to configure the controller (a display? software? is the software class compliant or does it have longevity?). Dig into the reviews.

I'm not deeply familiar with either of the controllers you mention; my choice is based on a quick look of the manuals and some online reviews. Keep researching your choices and I think you'll arrive at the best choice for you.

FBV3 LED colors or configurable screens? I dunno. Ask on the other forum or read the manual?

@soundog Really thanks for your recommendations. It's really helpful for my decision.

On 5/12/2021 at 1:27 PM, somebodyelse said:

Okay, another way of looking at it is, what have you already got?

In my case, I've already got my old Ground Control Foot Controller (Voodoolabs) which if I added a volume pedal to, would give me an expression pedal. I've also got a Nektar LX25+, which I could add an expression pedal to and write my patch changes in on the MIDI Events page - let the DAW do the changes while you concentrate on playing... or I could just map the mod wheel to act as an expression pedal, if it's something I'm adding post-recording.

If you have no MIDI controllers, then of course, buying one is necessary, but whichever direction you come from, you end up having to map something and assign things.

Thanks for you opinions. I have no any exp. pedal or midi controller. So, I'm finding one :)

Anyway, I just ordered Morningstar MC6 Mkii & Boss EV-5 today. Hopes they will arrive tomorrow.

A tip. If you are fairly new to MIDI, there is a learning curve. You actually do need to read the manual's section about MIDI; both for the controller and for the receiving hardware or software. Its also very useful to get and use free MIDI monitoring software (I use this one on Mac) for troubleshooting. A monitor will help you see what is being sent or received. Sometimes everything works easy. Sometimes it will drive you mad. But when it works, its like magic.

• 3 weeks later...