Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Eleven Rack + Hd500/jtv59/dt25

ColonelForbin

Just noticed that Sweetwater got more of the 11rack+ProTools11 bundle back in stock, on sale for $699. I have been looking to upgrade to a proper ProTools for some time. Currently, the 11R+ProTools11 bundle at SweetWater is the same exact price as the ProTools11 only at Zzounds, etc.

Essentially, a nice hardware bonus to the already steep cost of owning ProTools11!

Anyway, I have some multi-tracks from a band I used to be in that have been collecting virtual dust on a few hard drives, the sessions are all done in ProTools, so I haven't been able to work with them much.

I am psyched to be able to lay some new tracks on those sessions, with my JTV/HD500/DT25 rig, and with the 11R coming with ProTools I am thinking that will give me some needed expansion options, for re-amping, recording dry signal, mic'ing the actual DT cab + using XLR out, etc.

So, if any of you have any experience with the Eleven Rack, and/or running various combinations of the JTV/HD500/DT25 into ProTools, would love to hear from you.

Cheers, and Happy Friday!

If I had and extra $700 laying around, I might grab it too...but the divorce lawyer would end up costing me a hell of a lot more than that, so it'll have to wait. :D

I've heard some good things about the Eleven rack, and seen a few youtube clips that piqued my interest...I'm sure you'll find it useful.

it's guaranteed to be useful... either as an effects processor or a 300$-350$ rebate on ebay :D

If I had and extra $700 laying around, I might grab it too...but the divorce lawyer would end up costing me a hell of a lot more than that, so it'll have to wait. :D

I've heard some good things about the Eleven rack, and seen a few youtube clips that piqued my interest...I'm sure you'll find it useful.

The 11R is a great piece of equipment. If high gain isn't your thing.. You certainly can't go wrong. Mid gain tones all day long with them, and they sound fantastic doing it. I still am debating on picking one up.. But unlike a lot of people, I'd get rid of Pro Tools since there is an 11R editor now. I prefer Logic. Doesn't hurt that I have one of them Behringer MIDI foot controllers already, too.

The 11R is a great piece of equipment. If high gain isn't your thing.. You certainly can't go wrong. Mid gain tones all day long with them, and they sound fantastic doing it. I still am debating on picking one up.. But unlike a lot of people, I'd get rid of Pro Tools since there is an 11R editor now. I prefer Logic. Doesn't hurt that I have one of them Behringer MIDI foot controllers already, too.

In my experience, "high gain" has about 1000 definitions. Are we talking Nickleback, Dream Theater, or Norwegian Death Metal?

To be fair.. As far as "gain" goes.. Most Nickelback and Dream Theater tunes are probably close to the same. Tone and technique absolutely varies.. Which is the perceived difference to our ears. I'd like to think that most folk understand that "high gain" is anything "Metal" or heavier. Personally.. It doesn't matter to me weather It's Black Metal, Death Metal, Heavy Metal.. Pink, Blue, Green, Orange, or Purple Metal.. It's still Metal.. And Metal equates out to high gain no matter what shade of the rainbow type of Metal it is.

Also, FWIW.. I thought Dream Theater was Prog. Rock and Nickelback was Rock.. Or did they create a few hundred more genres to classify music into?

To be fair.. As far as "gain" goes.. Most Nickelback and Dream Theater tunes are probably close to the same. Tone and technique absolutely varies.. Which is the perceived difference to our ears. I'd like to think that most folk understand that "high gain" is anything "Metal" or heavier. Personally.. It doesn't matter to me weather It's Black Metal, Death Metal, Heavy Metal.. Pink, Blue, Green, Orange, or Purple Metal.. It's still Metal.. And Metal equates out to high gain no matter what shade of the rainbow type of Metal it is.

Also, FWIW.. I thought Dream Theater was Prog. Rock and Nickelback was Rock.. Or did they create a few hundred more genres to classify music into?

All I meant was that "high gain" tends to mean different things to different players, depending on your style/taste.

As far as what "Metal" is...according to an 11 part documentary series [i'm sure that wasn't an accident...lol] from a few years back, there is a dizzying array of sub-genres...enough to make you laugh sometimes. Don't remember the exact title, but that series categorized everything up the yin-yang, with a flow chart of sub-genres that can make your head spin...many I'd never heard of before.

But anyway, I really just curious about how much gain you can really get out of the 11R...if it's high gain capabilities and with Stones-y/ Zep kinda tones, then it wouldn't be for me. Love Zeppelin, just don't play that kinda stuff much.

All I meant was that "high gain" tends to mean different things to different players, depending on your style/taste.

As far as what "Metal" is...according to an 11 part documentary series [i'm sure that wasn't an accident...lol] from a few years back, there is a dizzying array of sub-genres...enough to make you laugh sometimes. Don't remember the exact title, but that series categorized everything up the yin-yang, with a flow chart of sub-genres that can make your head spin...many I'd never heard of before.

But anyway, I really just curious about how much gain you can really get out of the 11R...if it's high gain capabilities and with Stones-y/ Zep kinda tones, then it wouldn't be for me. Love Zeppelin, just don't play that kinda stuff much.

It'll take you into Rock and Hard Rock territories. It can do Metal, as well.. In my experience with both of them, the HD500x outperforms the 11R when it comes to Metal.. Pretty even ground for Hard Rock and Rock.. Even playing field for cleans.. 11R outperforms the HD500x for Blues. Realistically, they both can and do cover all grounds fairly well.. One better than the other (either one) depending on style. All of that being said.. I have heard some monster Metal tones come out of an 11R.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I am going to revisit this idea when I get some time, hopefully next couple days. I have been experimenting with using analog stomp boxes both in the HD500 effects loop, and in the DT25 effects loop.

I just came up with a new idea today, where I put the Eleven Rack into the DT25 effects loop, and use it with no amp modeling on the 11R, just "post" effects, like chorus, delay and reverb - and don't use any of the HD500 delays and verbs.

I had pretty good success with the dual amp model routing, in particular when I made amp A the JTV variax model, and made it acoustic models, with amp B the variax mags - and split them up front into two paths. The mags path I sent out the HD500 effects loop into a stompbox pedalboard; the effects in the DT25 effects loop were things like chorus, noise gate, clean boost. Using any of the 12 string variax models with the mags on the other channel creates a very cool effect; I want to mess around a bit more with octave up and down on the variax; having the ability to split and process independently both the variax and the variax mags at the same time is a very cool thing

I would essentially then have an effects loop inside an effects loop, running the 11R in the DT25, and running the "post" stompbox pedals in the 11R effects loop, pre delays and reverbs.

This will allow me to position the bulk of the HD500 DSP in "pre" effects on the variax side of the amp model chain. Like pitch, phaser, drive, comp, whatever - all "pre" stuff though.

~"One in a while you get shown the light,

In the strangest of places if you look at it right!"~