Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

dt50 wattage question

Jessehendrixp1

So I was wondering if someone might help me understand something a bit better....... So let me say that my dt50 212 is my first tube type amp....... Every other amp I've ever had has been a solid state.... Which I believe is why I am a bit confused...... Anyway so I know that with the spider 3 212 I had it was supposed to be 150 watts..... Which what I understood was basically like having two of the 75 watt 112 spider 3s in one amp, or 75 watts per channel I guess..... Correct me if I'm wrong on that......... But how exactly is it that the dt amps work in this aspect.. for instance, are the 112 dt50 and 212 dt50 basically the very same setup just the 112 has one speaker and the 212 has 2 speakers wired to be one speaker (talking in lame men's terms here) or is it like the spiders where the dt212 is really 100 watts 50 per each speaker and the dt112 is 50 watts for just one speaker? Sorry if this is dumb to ask im still learning alot about the technical aspects of my gear I appreciate all answers and input

Hi Jesse,

The DT50 212 has the same outputs as the DT50 112, and looking at a picture of the back, there are 2 8 ohm speakers, and the jack is plugged into the 16 ohm output jack meaning they are wired in series.  This tells me that the amp is a 50 watt just like it's sibling the 112.  There are not 2 stereo amps.

The spider 3 150 212 info I looked at said it was stereo.   The tendency of making 212 combo amps stereo seems to mostly be in the Digital Modeling amps.  I have a Spider V 240hc head, and it is stereo.

So if you want stereo with DT Amps, find yourself another one.   I have 2 Dt 25s, and they are incredibly loud.  I can't imagine what 2 DT50s would be like.

Honestly I don't need stereo or anything the reason I wanted the dt50 in the first place was so I could have that old-school analog mono tube feel with some modern added to make it better lol....... My dt50 212 is rediculous loud even louder than my spider 212 was which was supposed to be 150 watt stereo like you said...... If I ever just need the stereo for a particular effect or sound I just plug my 500x into my pa or my studio monitors but rarely ever do I want to do that I'm a pretty modest player as far as tones go a good blues, good metal and good clean are pretty much 80percent of my style lol...... I Appreciate the reply I just wanted to know a little more about the specifics is all after getting my dt amp I started researching amps solid st and tube and exactly what they do and was just wondering about that is all