Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best POD Go paid bundle

hernan93

Hello team.

I'm onto heavy metal and hard rock most of the time. I like bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica and Bon Jovi. I would like to find a $20-$25 maximum preset bundle to have a good starting point to look for "my sound" with the pod Go. Thru some quick googling I arrived to this three options:

https://www.glenndelaune.com/POD-GO-INTERACTIVE/index.html

https://line6helixpresets.com/product/the-podgo-starter-kit/

https://shop.line6.com/marketplace/pod-go-metal-through-the-decades-pack.html

Do you recommend one of this over the others? Do you have your own recommendation would like to share?

Thank you in advance.

Hernan

Before you start paying for patches, you should consider the following:

1. There are lots of patches shared on the Pod Go section of the Line 6 Custom Tone

2. Patches are created using the sellers gear and tastes. You may love them but you may hate them and could find your purchase disappointing

3. Almost certainly you will need to tweak patches

4. You could be better off reading the manual, and watching videos on how to build patches. Pod Go is intuitive but it's not plug and play, and learning yourself is the very best thing you can do

5. Try some of the free IRs that can help you find your tone too.

6. Be wary of sound clips and video clips promoting patches. These almost certainly will sound quite different with your gear.

7. If you use headphones invest in a good set of studio monitoring headphones. Something like the Audio Technica ATH M50x 32 Ohm or the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm are both only around £120 and are two of the most recommended for Pod Go.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy patches. But I am saying you don't need to, and if you do buy, that they may not be the instant plethora of tonal satisfaction you might have hoped for. But your money and choice of course. 

• Thanks 1

Some good insight above from voxmann55. Someone else’s patches can provide you with some good examples of patch construction and signal routing ideas but you will almost always need to tweak them to make them sound best using your own equipment. And if you’re not familiar with tweaking patches you can be disappointed. And how do you get familiar with tweaking patches? You learn to create your own, at which point purchasing them may be unnecessary.

I’ll emphasize point numbers 2 and 6 in voxmann55’s list. The external equipment, specifically any differences in equipment between the patch creator and you, is critical. The most important factor is the speakers. Most patches available for purchase are designed for output to PA systems or FRFR speakers. If you use a typical guitar combo amp and speaker/cab with the POD Go you will likely be very disappointed with any patches you purchase unless you know they are designed for that configuration.

Nonetheless I have purchased patches in the past and found some to be very helpful, not only in the tones but sometimes more importantly in patch construction ideas and examples. With reference to the three purchase options you specifically mention I think only you can decide for yourself. Listen to the samples using your POD Go and the connected speakers/amp that you will be using with it. Do not make your choice by listening to these samples using your computer’s soundcard and speakers.

6 hours ago, voxman55 said:

Before you start paying for patches, you should consider the following:

1. There are lots of patches shared on the Pod Go section of the Line 6 Custom Tone

2. Patches are created using the sellers gear and tastes. You may love them but you may hate them and could find your purchase disappointing

3. Almost certainly you will need to tweak patches

4. You could be better off reading the manual, and watching videos on how to build patches. Pod Go is intuitive but it's not plug and play, and learning yourself is the very best thing you can do

5. Try some of the free IRs that can help you find your tone too.

6. Be wary of sound clips and video clips promoting patches. These almost certainly will sound quite different with your gear.

7. If you use headphones invest in a good set of studio monitoring headphones. Something like the Audio Technica ATH M50x 32 Ohm or the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm are both only around £120 and are two of the most recommended for Pod Go.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy patches. But I am saying you don't need to, and if you do buy, that they may not be the instant plethora of tonal satisfaction you might have hoped for. But your money and choice of course. 

Thank you voxman55, in the end you are right. I fully understand what you want to mean. 

Any web o .zip file location to share some starting nice IRs?

I own the Sony MDR7506 headphone, what do you think about this?

1 hour ago, silverhead said:

Some good insight above from voxmann55. Someone else’s patches can provide you with some good examples of patch construction and signal routing ideas but you will almost always need to tweak them to make them sound best using your own equipment. And if you’re not familiar with tweaking patches you can be disappointed. And how do you get familiar with tweaking patches? You learn to create your own, at which point purchasing them may be unnecessary.

I’ll emphasize point numbers 2 and 6 in voxmann55’s list. The external equipment, specifically any differences in equipment between the patch creator and you, is critical. The most important factor is the speakers. Most patches available for purchase are designed for output to PA systems or FRFR speakers. If you use a typical guitar combo amp and speaker/cab with the POD Go you will likely be very disappointed with any patches you purchase unless you know they are designed for that configuration.

Nonetheless I have purchased patches in the past and found some to be very helpful, not only in the tones but sometimes more importantly in patch construction ideas and examples. With reference to the three purchase options you specifically mention I think only you can decide for yourself. Listen to the samples using your POD Go and the connected speakers/amp that you will be using with it. Do not make your choice by listening to these samples using your computer’s soundcard and speakers.

Thank you silverhead. I'm very familiarized with the tone tweaking you and Voxman55 recommended. No problem with that part.  

Very useful highlight what you did regarding the output set for the patches, I mean PA systems or FRFR speakers versus combo amp. At least, if I finally buy some presets, I will need to work on that settings to adjust it to my equipment, and of course, no one can warrant it will sound good :S. 

I haven't thought about download de samples and test it on my POD I was going to focus on the demos/videos... nice advice also. 

1 hour ago, hernan93 said:

I haven't thought about download de samples and test it on my POD I was going to focus on the demos/videos... nice advice also. 

Just to be clear, I am talking about listening to the demos/videos while your POD Go is connected via USB to your computer with the associated external speakers/amp active.  Don't just listen to them using, for instance, only your laptop. But if the patch creators allow you to actually download sample patches then yes, load them into your POD Go.

5 minutes ago, silverhead said:

Just to be clear, I am talking about listening to the demos/videos while your POD Go is connected via USB to your computer with the associated external speakers/amp active.  Don't just listen to them using, for instance, only your laptop. But if the patch creators allow you to actually download sample patches then yes, load them into your POD Go.

I see, all clear now! Thank your for your advice and time.

On 5/12/2021 at 2:55 PM, hernan93 said:

Thank you voxman55, in the end you are right. I fully understand what you want to mean. 

Any web o .zip file location to share some starting nice IRs?

I own the Sony MDR7506 headphone, what do you think about this?

The Sony MDR7506 headphones are studio monitoring so these should sound good.  See here for links to some free IR's: