Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp: Preset Up / Down via midi issue

yawnie

I have a Morningstar MC-6 hooked up to my HX Stomp via midi and have programmed it so two of the switches emulates FS4 and FS5 on the Stomp (CC#52 & 53). And in the global settings on the Stomp I’ve set up FS4 to preset down and FS5 to preset up. But when I press the switches it starts scrolling through all the presets and the only way to stop it is to turn off the Stomp. I think it got this way when I updated to FW  3.1. Is this a known bug or am I doing anything wrong? Anyone having any suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

You need to set the footswitches you’re using on the Morningstar are set up as CC toggles. They should send out one value when pressed down and then another value when released. It sounds like right now you just have them set up as one shot CC commands.

Hey phil_m Thanks for responding:)

It really doesn’t matter if I use toggle mode   on or off. Tried both, same thing happens, when I press the switch it just starts scroll through all the presets.

I've got my MIDI controller (FCB1010/UNO2) sending non-toggling CC#52 Value 127 and CC#53 Value 127.

FS 4 is set to Preset DOWN; FS 5 is set to Preset UP.

Preset UP/DOWN works perfectly from either device.

Something in your MC6 is set wrong.

Any chance there's feedback loop between HX Stomp and MC6? Is there any connection between HX Stomp MIDI out to MC6 MIDI in? or are they both connected to the same PC/Mac via USB? If your setup is this way, you may turn MIDI Thru OFF in HX Stomp global setting.

Hey rd2rk and yalyari, thanks for reaponding. rd2rk: The MC-6 is setup exactly the same as your controller. 
yalyari: I have no midi connections between the HXS and MC-6 and midi thru is set to off. 
It has been working before I updated to FW 3.1. I control some other stuff with the MC-6, effects on/ off,  tap/ tempo for delay, tuner on/ off. And one bank that controls the looper functions. Everything works, except preset up/ down. 

It CAN'T be a problem with the update, since mine works fine.

My controller is NOT sending a toggling message, nor is it sending different messages on press/release.

It sends 127, ONCE, on Press, nothing on release, every time.

Have you used a MIDI monitor to check EXACTLY what the MC6 is sending?

• Upvote 1

Any chance that a footswitch on the MC-6 has gone bad/sticking? Unlikely if both the up and down switches are not functioning properly. Have you tried switching presets with different footswitches on the MC-6? Probably did this but try switching out MIDI cables or at least reseating them and checking the connections. 

Also, did you do the factory reset, restore your global settings from when this was last working, and restore a backup? I know everyone is tired of hearing this recommendation but it is just a very good place to start.  Also never hurts to doublecheck HX Edit's 'Help' --> 'About HX Edit' to make sure your editor and firmware are indeed on the versions you think they are(HX Edit 3.10, firmware 3.11).

• Upvote 1

So... @HonestOpinion... this is kinda weird... tried with another cable... didn't help... (tried the "programming on a different switch", also didn't help).
Then I restored from another backup (from nov 2020, lost track of which FW version), also didn't help. THEN went back to latest backup (which I did before 3.11).

AND NOW IT'S WORKING!!! Thanks to everyone who gave me input (special thanks to @HonestOpinion ). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, yawnie said:

So... @HonestOpinion... this is kinda weird... tried with another cable... didn't help... (tried the "programming on a different switch", also didn't help).
Then I restored from another backup (from nov 2020, lost track of which FW version), also didn't help. THEN went back to latest backup (which I did before 3.11).

AND NOW IT'S WORKING!!! Thanks to everyone who gave me input (special thanks to @HonestOpinion ). 

Great to hear it is working! Would love to know why or what specific setting got changed. On the other hand you know what they say about gift horses...

I would immediately get a fresh backup now that you have it working again, maybe with a note in the comments section like "MIDI working properly".

• Upvote 1