Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

3.1 MIDI PC Output Delay

modelation

I have a programmable tube amp that will change presets when receiving a MIDI PC message. Since this tube amp has a built-in reactive speaker load following by a line level direct out, I can use it in the Helix effects loop. For some of my Helix presets, I simply replace the Helix internal amp model block with the Helix effects loop block (real amp in the signal chain) followed by a cabinet model or IR block. When I change a Helix preset, I configure the Helix to also send a MIDI PC message to the tube amp.

I have noticed that with the new 3.1 release, there is now a noticeable delay between when the Helix preset changes and when the Helix sends a PC message to the external tube amp. This can cause loud glitches between presets. Since I am mainly a home studio player, I can deal with it, but for live use, this would be annoying for anyone using outboard MIDI effects. Has anyone noticed this behavior? Is there a way to reduce the MIDI PC output delay on the Helix? Thanks.

Using a MIDI Monitor (MIDIOX), sending the PC over either USB or regular MIDI, the PC is sent immediately, no delay that I can detect.

However, I did notice that it's sending the LSB/MSB messages twice, once before the PC and again after.

It didn't used to do that.

If your amp has multiple Banks, that may be causing a hiccup.

• Upvote 1

Thanks CraigGT. Yes, it turns out that I needed to go in and change the "Instant MIDI Command" in the control center. Without changing this, my old setting was sending a CC MSB/LSB followed by a PC message 0 on channel 1, then a small delay followed by the PC messages that I programmed. In the new Helix Edit, I needed to use the new pull down menu to select PC message. Now only one MIDI message (PC) is generated with no delay.