Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Global Settings

titchyblackcat

3 hours ago, titchyblackcat said:

Hi

Is it possible to change the global settings using HX Edit ?

In the manual i can only see changing the Global Settings on the Helix unit itself.

As mentioned by “silverhead”, simple answer - no.

HX Edit is the remote editor and librarian utility for the whole range of HX products and each one has completely different hardware features, eg: footswitches, in/out connections, etc. All these functions are set on the individual pieces of hardware as preferences and backed up by HX Edit in a file which you save to your computer.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Strictly speaking and I am sure accurately addressing the question as the OP intended the above posts are correct. At the risk of being "that guy" there are three exceptions that I can think of that can be set from HX Edit worth mentioning if for no other reason than as a reminder of their somewhat unique placement or exception as global settings.

1. The global tempo settings can be changed in the upper righthand corner of HX Edit
  2. Under the Variax tab on the Input block for a Variax preset under the 'Variax Settings' parameter you can set "Per Preset" or "Global". Although this is set in a preset it actually is a global setting and will be reflected in all other presets set up for the Variax.
  3. Under the Powercab tab on the Output block the 'Remote' parameter you can set it to "Off", "Preset", or "Global".  Again, every preset will inherit your setting automatically.

I also find it interesting that in the case of the Variax and Powercab settings, despite the fact that they are located within a preset instead of the global settings, you don't even have to save the preset for your selection to be persistent and be reflected in every other preset; even when you switch away from the preset without saving. They act just like global settings but just happen to be located within a preset.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

You can restore your global settings based on the backup with HX Edit.  The only thing you can change with HX Edit in global settings is Global EQ.  And you can make more fine adjustments with it, than what you can do on Helix itself. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/15/2021 at 11:43 AM, HonestOpinion said:

Strictly speaking and I am sure accurately addressing the question as the OP intended the above posts are correct. At the risk of being "that guy" there are three exceptions that I can think of that can be set from HX Edit worth mentioning if for no other reason than as a reminder of their somewhat unique placement or exception as global settings.

1. The global tempo settings can be changed in the upper righthand corner of HX Edit
  2. Under the Variax tab on the Input block for a Variax preset under the 'Variax Settings' parameter you can set "Per Preset" or "Global". Although this is set in a preset it actually is a global setting and will be reflected in all other presets set up for the Variax.
  3. Under the Powercab tab on the Output block the 'Remote' parameter you can set it to "Off", "Preset", or "Global".  Again, every preset will inherit your setting automatically.

I also find it interesting that in the case of the Variax and Powercab settings, despite the fact that they are located within a preset instead of the global settings, you don't even have to save the preset for your selection to be persistent and be reflected in every other preset; even when you switch away from the preset without saving. They act just like global settings but just happen to be located within a preset.

So I haven't experimented with this but do you know what the differences are between the Per-Preset setting and Global setting for the Variax? How does it control the Variax differently? The manual is vague about this at best. I get what Per Preset does but how do the Variax settings react differently when in Global?

My understanding is that when set to Global all Variax settings stored in presets are ignored by the Helix device and are not sent to the guitar. Any Variax changes must be made manually on the guitar itself. This remains in effect until you manually change the Variax setting in any preset to Per Preset. The Helix device then begins sending its stored values in each preset to the guitar which responds accordingly. Again, this remains in effect until the setting is manually changed back to Global. So although this setting is a parameter in every preset it behaves globally.

1 minute ago, silverhead said:

My understanding is that when set to Global all Variax settings stored in presets are ignored. Any Variax changes must be made manually on the guitar itself. This remains in effect until you manually change the Variax setting in any preset to Per Preset. The Helix device then sends its stored values in each preset to the guitar which responds accordingly. Again, this remains in effect until the setting is manually changed back to Global. So although this setting is a parameter in every preset it behaves globally.

I thought that was possible but using the terms they use are confusing. How about just control/no control? Or call the parameter "Variax Control" with a Yes or No option.

I just thought of another possibility. Could it be that any adjustments you make would be reflected in all other patches? So if I change the settings in one patch, save it, and go to another, the settings in the patch will be the same as the previous patches and all other patches will also do the same? Just a thought. I may have to try this when I get home.

I expect any changes you make to any preset while in the Global setting are changed only in the stored settings of that specific preset. The changes are not made in the stored settings of all presets. The changes will remain in place as you switch presets, though, but only because the Global setting prevents the (unchanged) stored settings in any preset from being sent to the guitar.

On 5/19/2021 at 9:09 AM, brue58ski said:

So I haven't experimented with this but do you know what the differences are between the Per-Preset setting and Global setting for the Variax? How does it control the Variax differently? The manual is vague about this at best. I get what Per Preset does but how do the Variax settings react differently when in Global?

The manual as you say is vague but I read it as essentially saying that every Variax setting on pages 2,3,&4 of the Input block are impacted by the 'Variax Settings' parameter, either globally, or on a per preset level. This setting does not for example have an "Off" option that ensures only the controls on the Variax guitar itself will make changes. You can set the individual Variax parameters in either mode, "Global" or "Per Preset", in such a way that it ensures only the guitar has control.  If you for example run this setting in "Per Preset" mode, and most will, each time you change presets the Variax will change to the settings you have in that preset, contingent on which parameters you force, as you would expect.

Changing this setting to "Global" causes every other Variax preset to reflect any Variax parametes you change in the current preset but not edit their previously stored Variax settings. Under the covers all your presets will still have the Variax parameters you originally saved them with, you just can't see them at the moment and they are not active. In practice that means now every other Variax preset you go to will have the settings of the preset where you switched "Global" on, for example the same model and tuning. If you jump to another preset(with 'Variax Settings'="Global" still on) you will see for example that preset now has the model and custom tuning from the preset you were in when you turned "Global" on.

Here's where things get interesting. If you switch to another preset and change for example the model and the tuning, when you jump back to the one you initially set "Global" on in, it will now reflect the Variax settings from the subsequent preset where you made the changes. Setting 'Variax Settings'="Global" changes every parameter setting from pages 2-4 that is "forced" into a global setting. It doesn't matter which preset you set them in. See caveat in next paragraph.

Caveat: The parameter 'Global Variax Tuning' must be set to "Custom" in any preset you jump to for the tuning to reflect the behavior of the parameters you set in the preset where you turned on  'Variax Settings'="Global" . Although I operate in the "Per Preset" mode I always leave 'Global Variax Tuning'="Custom" anyway to ensure predictable tunings. Including all presets with standard tuning. 

Let's say now you decide to return to 'Variax Settings'="Per Preset".  All of your Variax presets will revert back to displaying the parameter values you assigned on the Input block from pages 2-4 when you first designed and saved the preset and before you changed the  'Variax Settings'="Global".  In other words, all the Variax parameter changes you made while you were in "Global" mode are ignored in all presets and all presets revert back to the settings you had saved while in "Per Preset" mode.  "Global" is in effect a temp mode that does not edit your underlying presets' saved Variax settings.  The Variax settings you change while you are in "Global" mode are in effect only while you are in the "Global" setting.

Fairly complicated behavior and overall the easiest way to go is just to leave  'Variax Settings'="Per Preset" which gives you maximal "remote" control over the Variax while using the Helix/LT.