Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx stomp. difference in sound when playing through audio out and headphone out

suhinasergey

Hello ! I noticed a slight difference in the sound on my hx stomp. When played through the headphone output, the sound is more high-pitched, detailed and transparent than when played through the stomp L and R audio outputs. Headphone output provides more detailed sound. Maybe this is done on purpose? I hope this is not a marriage? 

• Like 1

Do you plan on just posting this until you get an answer?

Without any info about how you're monitoring when not using headphones you won'nt get one.

Even with that info - you really need to consider what's different - what you're describing just sounds like different monitoring sources. The idea the output is fundementally different is a nonsense.

I do hope this is a divorce!

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, the difference between headphones and main outs it the output impedance. Hx's headphone outs have about 10 Ohm to be able to drive current / move headphone speakers. The main outs have about 300 Ohms and are designed to maximize signal transmission quality for standard audio input stages. They work best with 10kOhm-ish inputs.

You described a connection with a high damping factor (Df = Z_load / Z_souce = audio input /headphones out =10k / 10 = 1000) results in a slight enhancement of high frequencies. It gets more audible when plugged into amp (Df = Z_load / Z_souce = guitar input /headphones out =1M / 10 = 100.000).

Look up impedance bridging for a technical explanation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

thank you very much for the detailed answer!  I started to get worried because I was connecting the combo amp to the headphone input and audio output.  And I like the sound through the headphone output more, it has more harmonics.  I also tried connecting the emu 0204 audio card with a stereo cable, and the headphone output also sounded more detailed.  Therefore, I began to worry and thought that this was a problem in the device itself.  But if on your hx sromp there is also a difference in sound between the headphone output and the audio output, when connecting the same combo amplifier, then I will be calm)).  If it's not difficult, check on your hx stomp.  Thank you so much!!  I'm from Ukraine, that's why I speak English so badly, sorry)

• Upvote 1