Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

turning knob to scroll stopped working after update to 3.11 (helix floor)

markblack77

Hello,

I updated my helix yesterday and after I did the knob you turn to scroll through amps etc. has stopped working - it dose move things back and forth, and the click is working, but if I turn it it won't scroll?

I this just a fluke that as I updated my helix it broke?

Or has a setting been changed?

Or is it a bug in the firmware?

Or any kind of user error???

Any thoughts, suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

The knob behaviour is controlled by a Global Setting which was restored to default during the firmware update. You will need to reset it to your preferred setting, or restore your Global Settings from the backup that was created during the update procedure.

• Thanks 1

It's in the manual. :)

Global Settings----->Preferences------>Joystick Encoder; Determines the joystick behavior when a block is selected within the Home screen - signal flow. For “Model” (the default), turning the joystick knob scrolls through available models for the selected block. For “Selection,” turning the joystick knob quickly navigates selecting blocks across the signal flow. SHORTCUT: Pressing while turning the joystick reverses the current joystick behavior.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, markblack77 said:

I updated my helix yesterday and after I did the knob you turn to scroll through amps etc. has stopped working

When the Update completed, did you perform a Factory Reset and restore from back-up as mentioned in the Release Notes for the Update?

If not - then do it now. When unexpected weirdness happens, a reset usually fixes things.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, markblack77 said:

<Snip>Or any kind of user error???

Any thoughts, suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

It very often does come down to user error. Most of us have done it, and learn from our mistakes. 

Always Read and Precisely Follow the Release Notes.

The Software and Firmware Update Release Notes are furnished by Line 6 to guide and assist users in avoiding a variety of foreseeable issues.

6 minutes ago, markblack77 said:

@datacommando done all of that - but no joy. Thanks

Ah, right. Just going through a process of elimination. 

O.K. As you have checked out the usual suspects, it maybe, as you said a fluke. It’s not unknown for a joystick to get flakey - the solder joints can go “dry” and need a tech to fix the joints. I know it happened to me, and when it does you think you are going slightly mad - “how can it stop working?”, you ask yourself. Well as we are aware - stuff fails.

On 5/16/2021 at 10:37 AM, datacommando said:

When the Update completed, did you perform a Factory Reset and restore from back-up as mentioned in the Release Notes for the Update?

If not - then do it now. When unexpected weirdness happens, a reset usually fixes things.

On 5/16/2021 at 8:57 AM, PierM said:

It's in the manual. :)

Global Settings----->Preferences------>Joystick Encoder; Determines the joystick behavior when a block is selected within the Home screen - signal flow. For “Model” (the default), turning the joystick knob scrolls through available models for the selected block. For “Selection,” turning the joystick knob quickly navigates selecting blocks across the signal flow. SHORTCUT: Pressing while turning the joystick reverses the current joystick behavior.

On 5/16/2021 at 9:20 AM, markblack77 said:

Thanks for the replies.

@PierM yea I tried that - after an initial google search changing that has no effect.

Looks like you have tried all the usual suspects. Just in the way of clarification, when you say that changing the Joystick Encoder setting has "no effect" did you mean that you are unable to scroll through either models or blocks?

Another thing you might try is the Helix's Test Mode to get further into the hardware layer, perhaps helping to eliminate the firmware as a possible cause.

Test Mode on the Helix

1. First unplug every cable from the Helix - USB, XLR, Variax(VDI), 1/4", etc.. This might seem unnecessary but for example if I leave my USB cable plugged in the Helix test mode does not operate properly which can be kind of alarming.  Maybe different brands or types of cables cause problems where others don't or maybe it is just the USB. Just pull 'em all.
  2. Hold down FS 3&4, turn on the Helix, and keep them held down until it enters Test Mode.   Note: Strangely enough holding down FS 4&5 will also get you into Test Mode which may have been the case in all the firmware versions but definitely works in HX Edit 3.10, firmware 3.11.  The FS 4&5 combination is not documented in Helixhelp.com and I have seen some confusion over which combination to use on the forum in the past and now I know why. Both combinations seem to work. I use FS 3&4 as it seems to be the one that is better documented.
  3. After you come up in Test Mode click the joystick down to enter into the '> UI Test' option. 
  4. Turn the joystick and look to see if the 'ENCJ' entry in the lower right hand corner turns green. The green indicates at least some measure of proper operation. You can also check the number under it to see if it is responding properly. Clicking the joystick up/down and right/left should also cause its corresponding entry in the list to turn green. If that has not been enough fun you can check the rest of your knobs, switches, and expression pedal.

Note: There are several other testing options in addition to the '> UI Test' in Test Mode. I find I have to turn the Helix off and come back into Test Mode if I want to use them though after I have run the '> UI Test'. Most(all?) of the other tests allow me to move between them without having to restart in Test Mode. Maybe there is a trick to doing this with the '> UI Test' as well but I have not found it.  It might be as simple as checking every single item in the list under the UI Test.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, markblack77 said:

@datacommando i did read that a dry joint can be an issue. thankfully my patches are pretty locked. and the editor is there... just wondered if I'd missed a trick. cheers. M

I realise that you have had your Helix for quite sometime, but this joystick encoder issue seemed to become a bit of a nuisance back in 2019 when there was a spate of complaints about the change to how the joystick responded to a a “long press”.

You may want to check this thread for anything which may help you. Also, IIRC, I read somewhere that removing the knob from the encoder and a little squirt of contact cleaner fixed the rotary function issue - not sure if that was for the rotary encoder on the left hand side, or the joystick - can’t find the original comment just at the moment.

• Upvote 1