Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Restore error -8609 from Floor to LT

rockridgerec

I use a Helix LT as a spare/backup to my Helix Floor. I have always made all my updates on the Floor, done a full backup, then restored to the LT to keep them in sync. Yes, certain things don't translate (like 10 snaps, FX loops, etc.), but it has always worked well as a safety net.

Today, when doing the first restore to the LT after upgrading the Floor to 3.11, and taking a backup, upgrading the LT to 3.11 and attempting to restore from that backup, I am receiving an error in HXEdit (3.10):  Error occurred during the restore: Unrecognized or unsupported model in preset data. (code -8609). 

Any thoughts? Have I just been lucky up to this point, or is this backup/restore from Floor to LT still supposed to work?

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, rockridgerec said:

I use a Helix LT as a spare/backup to my Helix Floor. I have always made all my updates on the Floor, done a full backup, then restored to the LT to keep them in sync. Yes, certain things don't translate (like 10 snaps, FX loops, etc.), but it has always worked well as a safety net.

Today, when doing the first restore to the LT after upgrading the Floor to 3.11, and taking a backup, upgrading the LT to 3.11 and attempting to restore from that backup, I am receiving an error in HXEdit (3.10):  Error occurred during the restore: Unrecognized or unsupported model in preset data. (code -8609). 

Any thoughts? Have I just been lucky up to this point, or is this backup/restore from Floor to LT still supposed to work?

Thanks!

Yes the backup/restore should still work although I don't have both units to test this. Have you checked HX Edit's 'Help' --> 'About HX Edit' to make sure you are actually on HX Edit 3.10 and the 3.11 firmware on both units?   If not I would take another backup and download and install HX Edit 3.10 manually as well as making sure both devices are on the 3.11 firmware.  Also, did you do the factory reset and restore on both devices after upgrading per the release notes? If not that is the first thing I would try after getting fresh backups. It might be advisable to restore each device's(LT and Floor) with their own respective backups before trying the cross-device backup. More tedious but it might get you there in the end.  I would then try the cross-device restore again with your fresh backups or even get yet another set of backups after your global reset and restore and try with those.

If this doesn't work I would probably do individual setlist exports from the Helix Floor and then try importing them to the LT.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rockridgerec said:

Hi,

That error code is not one I’ve seen previously and initially thought it might have been a conflict with the differences in the hardware, but this is from the HX Exit Pilot’s Guide.

” *IMPORTANT! As of firmware version 3.0, the preset file structure has been changed to accommodate the new features and functionality on all Helix and HX devices. Presets saved or exported from any Helix or HX device running a previous (version 2.x) firmware are still fully compatible with HX Edit 3.0 and your Helix or HX device with v3.0 firmware. However, presets saved or exported from Helix and HX devices with v3.0 firmware or Helix Native v2.0 (or later versions) are not compatible with earlier versions. We highly recommend backing up and keeping copies of all your v2.x-created presets before updating to firmware v3.0.”

Not sure if this is any assistance or makes sense of your situation.

• Upvote 1

Definitely HXEdit is at 3.1, and I definitely did the factory reset and restore for both units. And beyond that, I did additional subsequent backups to make sure I had good ones.

So I did a factory reset, then a restore of everything other than the presets. I then exported/imported the most resent preset I made on the Floor into the LT - this preset used the Floor-only feature of having a Command Center assignments to switches 1 & 7. When I brought it up on the LT everything looked fine, but when I pressed the MODE switch, the LT froze and had to be power cycled. So next time around, I edited the preset to remove those assignments, but the LT still hung.

I then did a factory reset to the LT, but instead of performing any kind of restore afterwards, I just imported that preset. No problems whatsoever.

I then did a restore from the same original backup, but ONLY restored the presets (no Globals, IRs, etc.). Restore completes successfully, and no problems with the new preset.

Factory reset again, this time I restored the Globals and Presets only. Restore completes successfully, but new preset hangs.

Factory reset again, this time I restored the Globals, IRs, and Presets only. Restore completes successfully, but new preset hangs.

Factory reset again, this time I restored the Globals, IRs, Favorites, and Presets only. Restore FAILs with -8609 error.

Factory reset again, this time I restored the Globals, IRs, User Model Defaults, and Presets only. Restore completes successfully, but new preset hangs.

I was able to reproduce this behavior on subsequent attempts.

Since it's relatively easy for me to rebuild my Globals by hand, I'm ok for now since my presets all restored and work fine if that's the ONLY thing I restore. I think it's appropriate to submit this as a normal bug report.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, rockridgerec said:

Definitely HXEdit is at 3.1, and I definitely did the factory reset and restore for both units. And beyond that, I did additional subsequent backups to make sure I had good ones.

So I did a factory reset, then a restore of everything other than the presets. I then exported/imported the most resent preset I made on the Floor into the LT - this preset used the Floor-only feature of having a Command Center assignments to switches 1 & 7. When I brought it up on the LT everything looked fine, but when I pressed the MODE switch, the LT froze and had to be power cycled. So next time around, I edited the preset to remove those assignments, but the LT still hung.

I then did a factory reset to the LT, but instead of performing any kind of restore afterwards, I just imported that preset. No problems whatsoever.

I then did a restore from the same original backup, but ONLY restored the presets (no Globals, IRs, etc.). Restore completes successfully, and no problems with the new preset.

Factory reset again, this time I restored the Globals and Presets only. Restore completes successfully, but new preset hangs.

Factory reset again, this time I restored the Globals, IRs, and Presets only. Restore completes successfully, but new preset hangs.

Factory reset again, this time I restored the Globals, IRs, Favorites, and Presets only. Restore FAILs with -8609 error.

Factory reset again, this time I restored the Globals, IRs, User Model Defaults, and Presets only. Restore completes successfully, but new preset hangs.

Since it's relatively easy for me to rebuild my Globals by hand, I'm ok for now since my presets all restored and work fine if that's the ONLY thing I restore. I think it's appropriate to submit this as a normal bug report.

Well that sounds like due diligence to me and glad to hear you have a workable solution. Btw, when you say you are on "HX Edit 3.1" are you talking about 3.01 or 3.10? Sorry to ask but they are different versions of the editor and I think some users on the forum have been getting the two versions confused. The latest HX Edit version as you may be aware is 3.10.

10 hours ago, rockridgerec said:

I think it's appropriate to submit this as a normal bug report.

Hi,

Definitely raise a ticket with CS and then they will be aware of this issue.

Great piece of detective work - that -8609 error code is one to make a note of. 

You didn’t say what your computer OS is - but I found a reference to that -8609 code which is the Windows device manager - apparently it’s related to some sort of driver problem. Not sure if it may be related.

Sterling work.

• Upvote 1

On 5/17/2021 at 7:12 PM, rockridgerec said:

I find it interesting that you got the -8609 error in the four restore tests you ran  only when you tried to restore the Favorites. I can't think of any reason that a Favorite would have a setting exclusive to the Helix Floor that is not shared by the LT.  Was that test repeatable? I will be curious to see if others will confirm this error on cross-device restores that include their Favorites.

It occurred to me that it looks like you actually found two issues here unless they are somehow related and I can't see how at the moment. One issue with the -8609 error when you tried to do a cross-device restore of Favorites. A second bug that looks like a cross-device translation error where a preset from the Helix Floor hangs upon usage that has been saved with Command Center options not available on the device it was loaded to(LT). Btw, did you do a restart after restore and let that preset rebuild before it hung during testing because as you stated it did seem to translate properly when imported rather than restored? I am curious if the rebuild process after restore/restart would have fixed it and if not why? Glad you opened a ticket on this. Your efforts here will probably save some other users a lot of head-scratching.

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, mrdannicholson said:

when downloading new custom tones I can't get a lot of the ones because of either A Path or Impulse not found in Library? not sure what that means, and also says models unrecognizable and yes im only downloading from and to the gear that I have Helix LT

Hi,

Hmm… well this thread is discussing something entirely different from the situation you are describing, but hey, here we go.

If you are attempting to download and install presets from CustomTone, you will most likely encounter the error with an Impulse Response “not found in library”, simply because you don’t have the IR used in the construction of the preset. If the designated IR is from a commercial source (Ownhammer, 3 Sigma, et al), you will need to purchase that particular item. Lots of the presets available on CustomTone will make reference to a free IR used in the patch. If you read the notes alongside the preset you want to use, it should tell you what IR you need to use.

Other than that, if you think that the preset has possibly been designed to use a 4x12 Greenback IR, simply ignore the warning and replace the IR with a 4x12 cab in the Helix.

If you also encounter the “models unrecognizable”, you need to ensure that you are using the very latest firmware (V.3.15) in your Helix LT,  because if the preset has be made with firmware more recent than that you have installed, then the chances are it will be missing components.

EDIT: There is a whole section about Impulse Response and IR File Reference on pages 39 & 40 of the Helix LT 3.0 Owner’s Manual - Rev D - English.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3f18374611d5dffd3a45/application/pdf/Helix LT 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev D - English .pdf

Furthermore: regarding the “models unrecognizable” issue, check the “Preferences” in your version of HX Edit and make sure that it is actually set for your LT.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2022 at 11:03 PM, mrdannicholson said:

Can anyone tell my the looper play back is super quiet and I can’t increase the play back volume ? 

Hi, again,

Once more you have posted to a thread that is completely unrelated to you question. You really need to start a thread that is pertinent to the particular issue in order to stand a chance of finding a possible solution.

Anyhow, let’s progress this a little.

Simply stating “my the looper play back is super quiet” is not very informative. I gather from your previous post that you have a Helix LT, although all HX units contain various looping options, but they all have a “playback” parameter to get it to mix better with the live signal. You need to be more specific about if this volume drop is happening on one, or all, of these. There could be an issue in another area of your signal chain causing this. 

At this point, without more concise information, the best thing you can do is post the preset concerned here, in the hope that some one else is willing to try and troubleshoot the patch.

Hope this helps/makes sense.