Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Please Recommend FRFR or same for Pod GO

sjturbo

I neeed some recommendations on an FRFR or amp under $500 that I can run a Pod Go into and get accurate output from. i guess in other words I want to hear from the FRFR or amp

what I hear with headphones? Help would be appreciated!

Sorry to say.... you are on a futile quest. You will never hear from your FRFR or amp what you hear in your headphones without significantly tweaking your preset. 

And I’m not sure what you mean by ‘accurate’ output. If you’re referring to the sound you hear from your headphones, well, that’s the sound you hear from your headphones. It’s not any more accurate than the sound you hear from your FRFR or amp. They’re all accurate based on the different tonal characteristics of their speakers.

Studio monitoring headphones are most likely to sound similar to an FRFR speaker but as @silverhead pointed out, you'll never hear exactly the same thing. That's because headphones send audio straight to your ears in an enclosed, focussed manner.  With a speaker including powered FRFR you are hearing tone that's being pushed through the air before it reaches your ears.  It's quite different.  And it's why no recording can capture what you feel as well as hear, when you are e.g. standing in front of a 4x12 cab pushing all that air!

But, I can recommend the Headrush FRFR cabs that come in 2 flavours - a 1x12 (FRFR112) and 1x8 (FRFR108).  I opted for the latter as I wanted something very compact and light.  The quality of tone and volume from something that small is quite astonishing - I was stunned when I heard it.   Although both variants kick out 2000 watts, the 112 is as you'd expect a fair bit louder as it's pushing more air.  It's not that much more expensive, but it's a fair bit bigger and around double the weight.  

Virtually identical to the Headrush are the Alto Truesonic FRFR powered cabs, that are probably made in the same factory as they have near identical looks & inputs and control layouts. The TS312 is the 1x12, the TS308 is the 1x8", but they also now offer a 'middle' 1x10 version too - the TS310.

In the UK these range from around £190 for the 1x8" to £240-250 for the 1x12".  Any one of these will sound great with your Pod Go. It just depends on the size you want.  I've been so pleased with the FRFR108 that I may well buy another one! 

I have two of the HR108's I've had for over a year now and they are great. Use for practice, rehersal, monitors, etc. Very versatile and affordable. The stereo effect has been fun to learn as well. I am not making a living or gigging so take my opinion in that context. I highly recommend them and it beats the crap out of hauling a around a 4x12 and head or even a 1x12 and a head.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sjturbo said:

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback. Do you think the sound you get is very close to uncolored by the speakers?  Do you run the Pod Go directly into the HR's?

Speaking for myself, yes and yes. 

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback. Do you think the sound you get is very close to uncolored by the speakers?  Do you run the Pod Go directly into the HR's?

I would say yes, they do not color or at least overly color the sound form the PodGo. And yes I run my PodGo direct at home with balanced cables and use them as monitors and run into the board when we are rehearsing or just jamming. I can tell the difference from my headphones and the HR's for sure. But others have echoed that here and on other posts.