Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V 60 vs. Spider V 240

Stewartcmiller

Hi.

I’ve had the Spider V 60 for a number of years now and happy with it. I have found a used Spider V 240 for sale at a decent price.

Am wondering if this is a worthwhile upgrade or not as I am only a „Home“ player. I only turn the amp up to very high levels now and again. I realize the effects etc. are the same on both amps, but wondering if the larger speakers and cabinet on the 240 will make a difference also at lower volumes.

Also wondering if better to wait - perhaps a Spider VI is on the horizon?

Thanks

If you're happy with the tones of your V60, and don't want to play in a band or jam, I'd probably say don't bother buying the 240. The advantages of the 240- much louder, better speaker(s), stereo tones, XLR outputs probably don't outweigh the cost of the 240. But, I have a 240 and it's a great amp, so if you plan on moving up down the line and it's a great deal, you could go for it. How's that for playing both sides, lol!

Thanks gtrman for the response. Playing in band highly unlikely at the mo. Can one enjoy the benefits you mention even at „normal“ volume levels or only when cranking the amp? Probably blow the windows out if cranking such a big amp indoors lol.

Am however intrigued by stereo tones with a guitar amp, can’t quite imagine how that will sound.

Also any thoughts if a new Spider is on the horizon? The current range has now been around for about ?5 years?

First off, I want to say that the Spider V 60 is a killer amp.  Killer.  That being said, though ... and this is just my opinion ... there is no substitute for 12" speakers.  Electric guitars and 12" speakers were made for each other.  This is why Line 6's Spider V top-of-the-line combo is not a 2x10 version.  So, yeah, going to a 2x12 combo even at low volumes would be way better than 1x10.  It is not about power.  It is about the speakers.  Very worthwhile.  I feel very spoiled being able to have my 240HC drive a (not Line 6) 2x12 cabinet w/ EVM 12L speakers in stereo (with the 240HC speakers "off").  

As for a Spider 6??  Spider V came out in 2017 (4 years ago) with "Mk ii" July/2019.  Spider V is still a strong seller, and rightfully so.  Any Spider 6 offering is at least 2-3 years away, my guess.  Additionally, as we all know with Line 6, it is also best to wait a year or two for them to work the bugs out before diving in.