Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp into FX Loop of Preamp (Question)

PANDAPANDELO

Hello, folks! I'm an ex user of a HX Stomp, and I was almost buying it again, but I got a doubt that I couldn't solve by myself. Let me tell you guys my case:

I am an acoustic singer songwriter, and I'd really love to use SOME fx of the HX Stomp into my Preamp, that I use for my vocals and acoustic guitar.

My preamp WILL BE (I don't have it yet) a Grace Design Felix2, and it have FX Loop. Here's the link for you guys to know more about it, if it help: https://gracedesign.com/products/instrument-preamplifiers/felix

The problem is: I'd like to use ONLY delay, reverb and maybe a compressor into the FX Loop of the Felix, so it could be used both for my vocals and acoustic guitar... but I don't wanna to use the other effects into my vocals. I was planning to use, like, overdrive (ocasionally), pitch shifter for some octave down stuff, acoustic guitar IRs, etc. And that wouldn't be good into my vocal channel. So... here's the main question:

Can I use only the reverb, delay and compression from the HX Stomp into the FX Loop of the Felix, so I could share these FX into my vocals and acoustic guitar, but leaving the other effects only ffor the acoustic guitar? Or maybe I couldn't do that... I really don't know. And THAT'S when you guys, that know a whole lot more than me, could give me a hand!

Sorry for my rusty english... I'm from Brazil.

Thank you all!

Rodrigo Pandelo.

From the Felix2 website:

Dual TRS jack send and return FX loop signals  can be configured for stereo operation or dual mono with separate FX loops for each channel.

Use the dual mono fx mode, connect the Felix fx send to HX input L and R with a stereo to L/R TRS cable. In the HX split L/R and use one path for guitar FX and one for vocal. Connect HX Out L and R with Felix's fx return via (another) L/R to stereo TRS cable.

50 minutes ago, Schmalle said:

From the Felix2 website:

Use the dual mono fx mode, connect the Felix fx send to HX input L and R with a stereo to L/R TRS cable. In the HX split L/R and use one path for guitar FX and one for vocal. Connect HX Out L and R with Felix's fx return via (another) L/R to stereo TRS cable.

Thank you for the research, my friend!

But take this last doubt for me, because I am really a newbie into routing things: with this method, would I be able to use reverb, delay and compression into both channels of Felix2 (vocal and acoustic guitar), and use the other effects (eq, overdrive, pitch shifting, looper) only for acoustic guitar?

If I can, then the HX Stomp is really the right tool for me, and I'll get one ASAP!

Thank you!

Yes, you can do that. Just rename "left channel" to "mic-channel" and "right channel" to "acoustic channel" in your head. You can apply FX blocks to just one or both channels or any mix in between.

There are ultimately two ways of usage of the Felix output DIs and you'll have to chose one: Guitar and mic (double mono) OR left and right (stereo). That decision affects the way you use the HX, but both ways are possible.