Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

update to acoustic sounds?

mrgroovy69

9 hours ago, mrgroovy69 said:

I think pretty much everyone agrees that the acoustic sounds on the Variax are crap.

Lol...and you're basing that conclusion on what exactly, the fact that you aren't able to get a decent sound? Through FRFR speakers, with the appropriate use of EQ and a little compression, they are quite convincing. However, if you're playing through a traditional guitar amp, then they will forever sound like $hit no matter what you do... wouldn't matter if L6 updated them once a day for then next hundred years. The speakers in guitar cabs and combos have far too narrow a frequency response to reproduce acoustic tones accurately. You need the right tool for the job.

Any chance of Line 6 updating these?

Last update of any significance was 6 to 7 years ago... so I'm gonna go ahead and guess "no".

Maybe even modelling an acoustic with a piezo pickup?

See above... don't hold your breath.

8 hours ago, mrgroovy69 said:

I think pretty much everyone agrees that the acoustic sounds on the Variax are crap.  .....

By which you mean something like “I can’t seem to get a good acoustic tone from my Variax. Must be something wrong with the modeling.”

I think there are plenty of people who get good acoustic tones using a Variax. Try listening to some demos on Helix Marketplace, particularly an Acoustic package from Glenn DeLaunne that includes Helix presets, a Workbench HD Variax model, and custom IRs.

Been experimenting with the acoustic tones recently and am really enjoying the 2 12 string models.

As mentioned above in one of the replies, need to turn on both the speaker and tweeter in my spider V in order to properly appreciate the acoustic tones.

And of course select the correct “amp type”. Not gonna sound good if taking an electric amp model and trying to play an acoustic model through it!

1 hour ago, Stewartcmiller said:

And of course select the correct “amp type”. Not gonna sound good if taking an electric amp model and trying to play an acoustic model through it!

Honestly, you really don't need an amp model at all, no matter what it is... the tube mic pre-amp model works quite well.