Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects (3.11.0) Stereo Input not working?

nkozicole

Heya! First time here - I'm new to the Helix series, having bought the Effects a few months back to use as my pedal hub. I'm trying to do something that should be pretty simple - run two inputs in stereo to the pedal, and then have two outputs in stereo.

Issue I'm having is that for some reason, the R input on the HX seems not to be getting signal from whatever pedal is going into it! Left works great, and I'm getting a stereo output as well as the send/return in stereo, as planned, but for reasons unknown to me only one thing I'm running in is audible.

The worst part is that I'd somehow managed to fix this in my first round of troubleshooting, but it was a fluke and I neglected to save haha. Any help is appreciated! For extra clarity I'll also put details of the routing in a spoiler tag below.

Spoiler

Okay! So, I'm running stereo and ampless - I have a mono signal going into an Ibanez DML10, which splits the signal into dry and wet even when bypassed. Right (dry) goes to an EAE Model feT, and Left to a DSM Simplifier. Each of their outputs (the 'send' jack in case of the DSM) goes to the respective input on the HX. I've got a Tensor and a DD-500 hooked up stereo I/O in the HX's send/return, and confirmed that they're outputting a stereo signal back to the HX. The stereo outs of the HX then go to the L/R returns on the DSM, and then out to an interface for now. I did a simple test and swapped around what input went where, and just confirmed using the volume knobs on the pedals before the HX that it's only the left input that's taking signal. This is also occurring no matter what stereo block I have inserted or activated (though I thought the HX would have a stereo bypass due to it's I/O.

Someone on reddit said:
One thing to check is that the send/return block is stereo as well by default it is mono. Another thing to double check is if you have a looper in the chain that it too is stereo

I did make sure to do this - Even with no blocks in the chain OR only stereo blocks, I'm getting the same behavior, where instead of passing through both inputs, the Right input is being ignored.

So have you just tried a simple test of plugging straight into the right input and going out of the right output into something? In a blank preset, that should pass a signal.

Just tried that after seeing this reply - Afraid it doesn't work! I can confirm it's not the cables I'm using, as well.

AFAIK the unit isn't going to accept the R input if nothing's in the L anyway (but of course I'm liable to be incorrect on this). 

12 minutes ago, nkozicole said:

Just tried that after seeing this reply - Afraid it doesn't work! I can confirm it's not the cables I'm using, as well.

AFAIK the unit isn't going to accept the R input if nothing's in the L anyway (but of course I'm liable to be incorrect on this). 

The right side should definitely pass audio even when there’s nothing plugged into the left side.

One other thing to try would be to set the bypass mode to Analog in the Global Settings menu and then hit the Mode and Tap switches together to enter Bypass All mode. Again, you should hear a signal straight from the right input to the right output.

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

One other thing to try would be to set the bypass mode to Analog in the Global Settings menu and then hit the Mode and Tap switches together to enter Bypass All mode. Again, you should hear a signal straight from the right input to the right output.

No such luck, I'm afraid. I thought Analog Bypass was working but it seems to have been a false positive.

edit: To be clear - the right input is what's still not working in this bypass mode. Left input is fine, passes to both outputs.

Just a follow up/update on this - It seeming more and more likely that this is a hardware issue I'm having, so I'm gonna take it to a service center about 45 minutes from me sometime this week!

Edit - Actually; I just took the HX off my board and tried right to right with it's own power supply (which worked), and then tried that AGAIN with the truetone CS-12 I was initially using, and that worked this time as well, so I think I'm having some other issue. I'll do some more troubleshooting and report back.

1 hour ago, nkozicole said:

Edit - Actually; I just took the HX off my board and tried right to right with it's own power supply (which worked), and then tried that AGAIN with the truetone CS-12 I was initially using, and that worked this time as well, so I think I'm having some other issue.

Hi,

This is from the HX Effects FAQ page:

“Can I power HX Effects from my DC pedalboard supply?
Line 6 only officially supports operation with the included DC-3G. Using any power supply other than that supplied by Line 6 will void your warranty. Line 6 is not responsible for any damage incurred when using HX Effects with any third-party power supplies.

HX Effects requires 2A bare minimum of clean DC. It uses a 2.5mm pin where most others use a 2.1mm pin.”

Plus there is this thread about power supplies, although it mention that it is for HX Stomp:

Not sure if it helps, but there it is.

17 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Not sure if it helps, but there it is.

Hey! Wasn't a power issue, or even one with the HX Effects. Entirely user error on my part! 

Long story sort, I had an output cable plugged into the wrong place - I'm using a Radial shotgun to split the HXE's outputs to different places, and because I have it mounted on the underside of a pedalboard bridge, I neglected to follow the (admittedly very obvious) color coding. Chalk this up to just not being attentive enough in my patching and testing.

Thanks for the help - HXE is awesome and, as I just discovered, it working perfectly. 

• Upvote 1