Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500x Expression pedal erratic readings

dmruschell

I purchased a used, but in like new condition HD500x nearly a year ago. I’ve used it weekly in band  rehearsals and just played my second site with it today. Any time it is not in use, it is in a case, protected from any kind of damage. 

Over time, I’ve noticed that the expression pedal doesn’t turn my volume down all the way any more. We had some extra time before the gig today, so I decided to recalibrate the pedal. 

Well, that made things much worse. Instead of a steady sweep from 0-255, I get a seemingly random jumble of numbers as the pedal is moved. The numbers dart all over the place. When the calibration is saved, all the way back sets the volume at something like 40%, and moving it forward causes the volume to jump around, and ends up at 7% when all the way forward. 

I had to disable the virtual volume pedal in all of my patches before we started playing. 

i haven’t been able to find any information about this issue in my searches, so I’m hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. 

I’m pretty handy with tools, so I’m not worried about taking my pedal apart to fix it if need be. 

Thanks for any help!

Well, I fixed it. 

I opened it up and cleaned the optical sensors on the expression pedal board with alcohol on a q-tip. I could then get 255, but couldn’t get 0. 

I opened it up again and cleaned the white pad on the pedal with alcohol. I then calibrated the 0 duty cycle with the pedal slightly moved forward and now I can get 0. I hope this helps anyone else who might encounter this issue. 

• Thanks 1