Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume mismatch between Mags and Variax models on my JTV59

First up: I love my JTV59. Sounds great and plays like a dream.

With that out of the way I only have one real gripe. If I'm playing say the Lester modelled guitar and then go to the mags the volume leaps up. I have lowered the mags to 4.5mm from the strings on the Birdge pick up and 7mm on the neck pickup when fretted at the 12th. I'd prefer the tone of the pickups nearer the strings but the volume jump then is way too much.

Am I doing anything wrong or is this a feature (NOT a bug)? Workbench show the global string volumes as high as they will go.

As said I love the guitar but I'm going to have to invest in a volume pedal until I get a Helix. Still think I'd rather have the volume and tone controls above the Variax controls, but that is the nature of the beast. And will probably drive me to look for a JTV69S at some point :-) .

Adjusting pick-up heights will only be a problem if warbling of the sound starts to occur while in

Modeling mode or Modeling mode with Alt Tune.

Pick-up adjustments are done by fretting the string at the highest fret.

Workbench HD is a way of adjusting levels to where you like them.

Normalizing between Models, or Models to magnetics is touchy, and over normalizing can introduce

frequency based artifacts if levels are adjusted too high. So be aware.

• 1 month later...

Finally got this sorted. I simply bought a TC Electronics Spark Mini booster and kick it in when using modelling. Makes all the Variax loveliness even better. And of course it does great things with the mag pickups too...