Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can Printer cable length cause update issues?

beaker3012

Ive got a helix lt and when I try to update it to the latest firmware whenever it gets to the stage where it saves the presets, it loses connection.  I've got like a 6 or 8 foot printer style usb cable and I wonder if that might be a problem.

Thanks !

Yes, absolutely. The longer the cable, the less the connection stability. I tested myself that stability starts to degrade after 1.5 meters and totally drops after 5.

Use the original cable, or the shortest available.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, beaker3012 said:

I wonder if that might be a problem.

Here’s a little light reading on the subject of USB Connection that has been lurking on here since 2006.

Point 3 states: Use the shortest cable possible.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AND....here we go again!

On my Helix Floor I have a right angle adaptor connected to a 10ft Amazon Basics USB Extender running through a rat's nest of data and power cables, then behind studio monitors and on to my laptop.

I have no problems with updates, ever.

On my PC212 I have a 5ft cable connected to another 10ft Amazon Basics Extender, through the same rat's nest, into a powered Amazon Basics hub.

I've had no problems with updates, though I've only run an update on the Powercab twice.

It's well known that Helix IS sensitive to USB cables, but length does NOT necessarily determine whether you'll have an issue or not. 

Though, while 15ft works for the Powercab, it might be a bit much for updating the Helix.

DO try different cables, as cheap printer cables are suspect, but don't sweat a 6-8ft cable. It should be fine.

DO make sure that your cable is plugged in to a Motherboard USB Input, NOT a hub.

The issue of USB drops has been discussed to death on multiple threads.

Various people have discovered various GUARANTEED THIS IS THE PROBLEM fixes.

If a high quality data cable doesn't fix it, search for those threads, and, Good Luck!

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, theElevators said:

Theoretically -- yes.  In practice, I have a 10 ft cable that I bought on Amazon and it works just fine for building patches or recording. 

Sorry, who are you responding to?

In reality, I've never seen anyone say that a cable which caused failed updates also caused problems with building patches (i assume you mean with HX Edit) or recording, though I suppose it could happen. While I've never had a problem with an Amazon Basics cable (or Monoprice), some of the other brands that are sold on Amazon are so cheap that you have to wonder.

59 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Sorry, who are you responding to?

In reality, I've never seen anyone say that a cable which caused failed updates also caused problems with building patches (i assume you mean with HX Edit) or recording, though I suppose it could happen. While I've never had a problem with an Amazon Basics cable (or Monoprice), some of the other brands that are sold on Amazon are so cheap that you have to wonder.

Sorry, your majesty for inadvertently also responding to a thread.  I will take note that if your majesty had previously responded, you having a guru status and all, I will refrain from commenting on such threads.  LOLLLL

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, theElevators said:

Sorry, your majesty for inadvertently also responding to a thread.  I will take note that if your majesty had previously responded, you having a guru status and all, I will refrain from commenting on such threads.  LOLLLL

Hey, what's your problem?

The thread is about UPDATE problems, not patch and recording problems.

I responded anyway, as best I could, trying to be helpful.

You went straight to insults and a personal attack.

Nobody needs your attitude.

Buzz off!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Hey, what's your problem?

The thread is about UPDATE problems, not patch and recording problems.

I responded anyway, as best I could, trying to be helpful.

You went straight to insults and a personal attack.

Nobody needs your attitude.

Buzz off!

Reported to mod.  Let's see how this will be handled :). have a gread day buzzer. 

• Thanks 1