Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with external preamps (ada, triaxis and jmp-1)

pattrahan

I currently use each of these three guitar preamps (ada mp-1, marshall jmp-1, mesa triaxis) thru it’s own snd/rtn fx loop (all set to instrument).  This way they are all accessible in the chain and i can change patches with a midi controller.  All this works just fine, all fx of the helix are where they need to be (before or after the preamp) while the Main out of the helix goes in mesa 2:90.  Again, this setup works fine but I find the preamps to all sound rather thin compared to a standard full amp in 4cm.  Maybe has to do with ada conversion of the preamps thru the fx loop?

Does anyone else use multi external preamps but hooked up in a different way and get fatter sound?
the idea is to be able to use the helix as multi fx with all three preamps

Do the preamps run directly to the mesa sound different?

With a Helix Full amp, the Preamp is amped twice, once in the block, and again at the Mesa.

If you sub a Helix Preamp for the Helix Full amp, you'll get the same "thinner" sound as you report getting with the real Preamp in a loop.

I don't have a HW preamp to test, other than running a tube combo in 4cm, which sounds fine, so the above thoughts are all I have.

I've experimented with various preamps in front of a Helix Stomp and a Strymon Iridium in the past (thinking that it would make things fatter), but all my experiments failed. Despite the cause, I decided I would just trust my ears on this one. Sometimes the less you step on a signal, the better. (Now ... a Klon Centaur hardware pedal is a whole nutha story!)

10 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Do the preamps run directly to the mesa sound different?

With a Helix Full amp, the Preamp is amped twice, once in the block, and again at the Mesa.

If you sub a Helix Preamp for the Helix Full amp, you'll get the same "thinner" sound as you report getting with the real Preamp in a loop.

I don't have a HW preamp to test, other than running a tube combo in 4cm, which sounds fine, so the above thoughts are all I have.

Never tried the preamps/poweramp direct - something to try.

the helix sims I use are the preamps (not full amps)

thanks for your help