Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp and monitor speakers question

reaperhelix

Potentially stupid question incoming......I currently have an audio interface with monitor speakers connected.

I use my setup for recording, mixing,jamming and just listening to music, youtube ect...I also leave the computer,audio interface and speakers on for hours at a time. 

and on weekends all day long. 

So anytime I get the urge to record an idea or watch a movie or whatever else everything is up and running

If I were to replace my audio interface with my HX stomp, is it safe to run the HX stomp the same way?

Curious if others do the same thing or not?

I have an IK Multimedia Axe/IO which does it's job no issues but the HX stomp does have a significantly better Dynamic range and I am very likely getting Helix Native too so maybe the integration is better between HX stomp and Native? So it did cross my mind to maybe use it instead but it just has me a bit worried because I'm not sure if keeping it powered on all day is safe for it.

1 hour ago, reaperhelix said:

Potentially stupid question incoming......I currently have an audio interface with monitor speakers connected.

I use my setup for recording, mixing,jamming and just listening to music, youtube ect...I also leave the computer,audio interface and speakers on for hours at a time. 

and on weekends all day long. 

So anytime I get the urge to record an idea or watch a movie or whatever else everything is up and running

If I were to replace my audio interface with my HX stomp, is it safe to run the HX stomp the same way?

Curious if others do the same thing or not?

I have an IK Multimedia Axe/IO which does it's job no issues but the HX stomp does have a significantly better Dynamic range and I am very likely getting Helix Native too so maybe the integration is better between HX stomp and Native? So it did cross my mind to maybe use it instead but it just has me a bit worried because I'm not sure if keeping it powered on all day is safe for it.

Heat is what ultimately wrecks electronics, and I recall some early complaints about the Stomp getting rather warm to the touch after being on for a while... don't know if that's still a thing or not.

But even if it never bursts into flames  taking your house with it, I don't see the point of leaving stuff turned on for hours on end when it's not in use. At best you're pi$$ing away perfectly good electricity, and at worst you're accelerating the inevitable demise of the unit for no other reason than you don't feel like flicking a couple of switches to turn stuff on when the mood strikes. Just my 2 cents...

Hi Cruisinon2,

Thanks for your response and very good point

I have been guilty of doing that for the longest and simply became a habit to be honest

My stomp does indeed get a little warmer than I would like......it's still VERY new I have probably used it a handful of times so hopefully it might need some breaking in...I don't know, I hope

This is what caused me to ask this particular question...starting from now on I'm going to turn off devices when not in use

Thank you for your advice Cruisinon2 makes perfect sense, why risk it

My take on this, from an electronics POV.

Assuming the HX Stomp has a proper thermal management across the entire device, and I really think so - keeping these kind of electronics up and running for long time might produce less stress, less wear and less strain, then multiple power cycling on top of that same hypothetical timeframe. There is a thing called thermal cycling, which happens every time you turn on an electronic device, as well as when you turn it off. During these cycles, there are materials expansions (ON) and materials contractions (OFF), which will cause and accelerate strain along the time. So yes, during the lifespan of a device, the strain/fatigue curve (from brand new to fracture/cracking in a component/connection/path etc) can be affected by the amount of these cycles, especially if they are very close each other (also ambient temp is in the equation). For example, turning 5 times ON, and 5 times OFF, in an hour - it will cause much more strain and fatigue than leaving the unit ON for the entire hour. You need to find your own balance, avoiding multiple cycles in a short timeframe, and limit those for the long pauses (like overnight, during work, lunch or dinner etc...)

Said that, in general, you should not worry about a device that goes warm, especially when extremely busy as the HX Stomp is internally. The important factor here is that the engineers did a proper thermal management, so that the heat is well distributed along the entire structure of the device, as happens most of the time with CE marked product.

Of course, then there is the chapter about power consumption, pollution, electric bill etc....but that's another story. :)

• Downvote 1

@reaperhelix, you're likely to realize all sorts of workflow benefits from standardizing on the Line 6 workflow using your HX Stomp and Helix Native. HX Stomp's AI and Dynamic Range are very good and it's use with HX Edit is very convenient as well as the expanded capabilities of using Helix Native in your DAW or VST Host of choice. 

From your original post, it would be my guess that you're likely to find a lot of satisfaction using the Helix Gear. 

As for the HX Stomp running warm, it is designed to operate this way. I have no idea, if Line 6's design spec for the HX Stomp or HX Effect also contemplates a near 24x7 operational duration for days, weeks or months on end. My guess would be that it may not, as both of these devices are designed for portability, from gig to gig, show to show, fly dates, etc., rather than as rack devices to be hosted in a constantly powered studio environment. 

Run your HX Stomp in the method most convenient for you. It is covered under Line 6's warranty, and the Original Warranty can be extended as you may wish. As for your other gear, Computer, Powered Speakers, etc. those are in the aggregate certainly going to consume far more phantom power in standby or on but not in use mode. If you can afford the power bills, or have a solar powered installation at your place, rock on!! Otherwise, the extra electricity cost may not be all that great when compared to your enjoyment and use of the gear. As for the planet, that's another conversation entirely. YMMV.

PierM,

Thanks much for your response, interestingly this is one of the reasons why I keep devices on because I don't trust powering on and off multiple times within an hour or more,

I feel the device will just stop working so I choose the lesser of two evils which in my case is just leaving everything on.

I have been doing this for years and honestly never ever had any device go bad on me however due to my HX Stomp running a bit warmer than I would like...I figured hmmmm I don't know maybe I shouldn't leave it on for too long.

Anyhow I'm gonna go with the flow and see, I can always simply switch it off when not in use...no biggie ha!

Or even easier I'll just keep both AXE I/O interface and HX Stomp connected to the same pair of monitor speakers and simply alternate when I'm done using the HX Stomp and carry on.

Totally forgot that the monitor speakers have XLR and 1'4 inch inputs in the back haha 

Thankful for all these viewpoints! 

Hi soundog,

Yes, no issue at all as I'm going to use both AXE I/O and HX Stomp, there's room for both to serve their purpose, should be fine

When done using HX Stomp I will simply switch routing back over to the AXE I/O as my interface and continue on with listening to ,music, mixing or whatever.

Besides the only time I use XLR's to record is very very rarely....only when songs are done and they need vocals, I'll' plug in a mic and record a mock vocal line or melody for the singer if need be otherwise I always record everything direct....sucks living in an apartment where noise and space are a huge problem unfortunately but thankful that the music can go on ha!

MusicLaw,

Thanks much for your response!

I'm so happy to hear that and really looking forward to getting deeper in to using My Stomp and soon enough Native

I actually had demoed Native in 2017 I think? I tried to download it again but said my license had expired but no worries as I liked it back then too even though I used it a very short while, I'm still going to buy it.

I think I'm going to have loads of fun with these two ha!

Very excited to use it on our next album and record all GTR's and Bass through it! I have been using mainly VST amp sims and occasionally used my Mooer Preamplive too but 

I just wanted to get a new multieffects unit and figured well.... I always wanted a Helix, why not the Stomp? I looooove the small foot print so convenient...just putting it on my desk it's awesome. Initially I was a bit skeptical when trying it but after some tweaks and running it through some IR's wow....love it!

As for Native....I'm gonna wait a few more days JUST in case there is a Memorial day sale, maybe one of those 30% off sales and if not I'll jus go ahead and buy it anyway next week

Glad to hear these two will go hand in hand and work well together, I can't wait!

All in all I am very satisfied with Line 6 and honestly I'm gonna stick with them for as long as they put out stuff like this.

Thanks much for your advice and info!!

Glad to be of help. When Line 6 offers the additional discount on Helix Native is anyone's guess. That extra savings certainly provides an extra special opportunity to grab it for an outstanding price of under $70 USD. 

Ah I see, well I guess I'll try my luck until next week and see but either way getting it for $99 is still a great price

I'm super excited to put in some quality time with the stomp this weekend and start building some patches!

Assuming windows you can also just plug stomp in over USB when you want to use on your monitors. If you just want to jam you can go into the sound settings, find the hx stomp in recording and check listen to this device. If you want to record I can confirm at least that studio one works fine with hx stomp as input and a io device as output, though I suspect any major windows daw will support that. I have my monitors hooked up to an apogee one which mostly acts as a sounds card.

Studio one does take control of the audio output device so the apogee stops

working as a sound card for me when I record that way but that's acceptable to me! 

The listen to device is just my quick "hack" to hear the helix and still hear the audio from my computer when I want to jam with YouTube or something. 

anyways, hope that gives you some ideas

On 5/27/2021 at 1:45 AM, soundog said:

They just had the 30% off deal around St. Patrick's day. It seems like the sale comes up about every 6 months. So perhaps another sale on Native this fall?

ha! You know I was doing cartwheels when I saw the Memorial Day Sale banner pop up....then I realized Native wasn't part of it grrrrr haha

I don't think I have the willpower to wait another few months LOL

On 5/27/2021 at 4:55 AM, xploited said:

Assuming windows you can also just plug stomp in over USB when you want to use on your monitors. If you just want to jam you can go into the sound settings, find the hx stomp in recording and check listen to this device. If you want to record I can confirm at least that studio one works fine with hx stomp as input and a io device as output, though I suspect any major windows daw will support that. I have my monitors hooked up to an apogee one which mostly acts as a sounds card.

Studio one does take control of the audio output device so the apogee stops

working as a sound card for me when I record that way but that's acceptable to me! 

The listen to device is just my quick "hack" to hear the helix and still hear the audio from my computer when I want to jam with YouTube or something. 

anyways, hope that gives you some ideas

Hi xploited,

Oh yes I have to try that too...the listen to device in sound settings option

Hmm I think I did try to choose HX Stomp as input but didn't allow me to choose io as output but I will try tomorrow

I'm using Reaper but also have Mixcraft , I'll try both just for kicks

Thanks xploited!