Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 3.10 UI painfully slow

credmond

Installed 3.10 demo (first time user). Clicking around effects in the chain, is painfully slow -- waiting 3-5 seconds each time just to see the settings in the EDIT window. If AUTOMATION/CONTROLLER ASSIGN is selected instead, select the effects is fast/normal -- so it appears to be related to refreshing the EDIT tab upon clicking each effect.

This sounds like bad engineering / programming to me (I'm a software engineer myself).

I'm using the latest version of Reaper, tried both VST2 and VST3 options. My computer is a beast and nothing this is not an O/S or user problem. I have a lot of plugins, and this is by far the worst performing.

This demo is not exactly making me want to part with my money. It's basically unusable.

What operating system are you running? The UI being laggy is a known issue with Big Sur that should be corrected soon, but I can’t say I’ve heard of it on other systems.

9 hours ago, credmond said:

I'm a software engineer myself

Hi,

As a software engineer you should realise that when reporting an issue it’s advisable to supply as much information as possible in respect of your computer and operating system in order to give you a proper response.

Simply stating, “My computer is a beast and nothing this is not an O/S or user problem”, doesn’t give much to go on.

See the reply from “phil_m” in the post above.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

phil_m: Windows 10, not related to Big Sur. As a test, I reverted to 3.01, and the problem largely disappeared (responsive around 500ms or so, so a bit clunky but much better).

Hi datacommando: as a forum user,  you should know that there's little point in repeating other people's posts or being a d*ck about things. And I do know that when reporting an issue to include as much information as possible; and I probably would if any of the developers asked. However, before wasting my valuable time grabbing pages of specs, I'd like to see if this is a known issue. Remember, I'm evaluating this software for purchase. I'm a busy guy. If I have to spend more than 5-minutes debugging a product of a company trying to sell me a product, it's too late. They aren't going to get my business; there are too many alternatives.

And, as a software engineer who has been hacking the s*it out of computers for 30 years, I can tell this isn't related to processors or the M1 issues; it's more likely related to a lack of sensible caching. And no, that isn't a guess; I've monitored the process I/O and it appears to be repeatedly and identically accessing the disk an awful lot when ever re-trying to refresh the Edit screen (and no, my disk isn't slow; it's a top of the range SSD). Any developer on the team who reads this re: edit tab, should be able to home in on this and diagnose.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

4 hours ago, credmond said:

Any developer on the team who reads this re: edit tab, should be able to home in on this and diagnose.

Well, thanks for that, but the thing is, this is a user forum - nobody from Line 6 monitors the posts on here. As you seem to have discovered a genuine bug in the software, maybe you could raise a ticket with Customer Support to make them aware. It is likely to be fixed a lot sooner if you let them know. 

FYI - I am not being a d*ck, simply trying to help - so before you judge me, better make sure that you’re perfect.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I tried to raise a ticket before coming here. But the thing is, you must own a product before you can create a ticket -- it's a pretty badly thought out support system (very common in this industry though; audio software is a few years behind a lot of the software industry).

Therefore, they've lost a potential customer in this instance, and probably many others.

And I'm aware they say they don't monitor these forums -- but you can bet your lollipop they read them, they just don't get into debates/issues here.

Either way -- I'm out. I'm buying a product that works.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, soundog said:

It just doesn't make sense.

Maybe I started to flap?

Plus it would only have upset him more if I had said that many people, such as you and me, have been using HX Native for years - without issue.

I'm also having slow GUI issues with Helix Native 3.10 on Big Sur and Bitwig. Interactions can take a full second to update the graphics. 
There were a few other plugins that had GUI slow downs with Big Sur like Omnisphere, most of them are now corrected with updates. 

17 hours ago, AndyMurdock36 said:

most of them are now corrected with updates. 

AFAIK, according to posts that I have seen on this and other forums, the update for HX Native is being worked on. See the post from “phil_m” above, he is probably in the best position to know.

That’s all I have on this.

• Thanks 1