Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Headphones output level

marcb1974

Hi all, 

new to Helix, recently got myself a Helix Rack.

Great separate volume control for headphones level, but even with that at max, I don't get a lot of volume out of my headphones.

I wear a pair of Beyerdynamix DT990 Pro of 250 Ohms.

I had my Rack hooked up to the laptop via USB as I had been installing the recent update and sound from YouTube came through at much higher levels.

Have been looking at global settings, but can't find anywhere where i can adjust heaphones out level.

Am I missing something?

Many thanks

Marc

4 hours ago, marcb1974 said:

Hi all, 

new to Helix, recently got myself a Helix Rack.

Great separate volume control for headphones level, but even with that at max, I don't get a lot of volume out of my headphones.

I wear a pair of Beyerdynamix DT990 Pro of 250 Ohms.

I had my Rack hooked up to the laptop via USB as I had been installing the recent update and sound from YouTube came through at much higher levels.

Have been looking at global settings, but can't find anywhere where i can adjust heaphones out level.

Am I missing something?

Many thanks

Marc

The rack is designed to get adequate volume with higher impedance headphones. Not sure what is going on here. Some suggestions might be tor turn up the volume somewhere in the preset, add a headphone preamp(kinda redundant and not the best option), or try another set of headphones.

Another more novel approach is to use the Global Settings --> 'Ins/Outs' --> 'Headphones Monitor' setting for a separate feed for your headphones. If you are not for example using your XLR outs you can use this parameter to send only the signal from your XLR out to your headphones and then set the volume level for this path's Output block louder.  Not sure whether it is reflected in the headphone feed but you may want to set the output for your selection for the 'Headphones Monitor' setting to "Line".  I think I would opt for just trying a different set of headphones though :-)

• Upvote 1

It does seem quite odd that you are not getting sufficient drive from your Helix Rack's headphone output into a set of BD DT990 Pro 250 Ohm headsets. 

To help isolate that nothing software related is compromising matters, be sure to update your Helix Rack's firmware to the latest version, and do a Factory Reset power on after the update is complete. If that concludes properly, then you will have at least eliminated any possible software oddities.

The next steps would be trying another set of headphones, as well as using your current set with another device to compare results.  

• Upvote 1